Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Tempurature

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Tempurature
    Posted: January 24 2005 at 6:00pm
Are there any opinions out there on how the tempurature of the water when you shower will affect hair?

Gotta love hot showers this time of year, but I'm worried it might be damaging.

Thanks!
-Nekita
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 6:17pm
H Nekita!

I believe the warmer the water is, the more the cuticle will be raised. So, if your hair were extremely dirty, it could be more effective... But I simply believe it isn't necessary. Shower with the water temp your bod prefers. Your hair will get clean no matter what temp you choose. To the extent you can tolerate it, final rinse in cool water (and of course, try to direct that cool water onto only your scalp & hair).
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 6:56pm
I agree with Dave.

As long as you aren't burning yourself. You don't want to burn your scalp cuz that's not good for growth or anything.

Hot or warm first and finish with warm or cool.

Don't freeze yourself either if you don't like it. You could use a vinegar rinse once in awhile instead of cold water if you wanted closed cuticles.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 7:26pm
The other issue is hair protein warping. Heat does make hair warp (one of the biggest differences I saw in the past five years after moving from a 100% sunshine area to a 0% sunshine area)

Warping can show itself in the form of uneven drying (where different sides of the hair strand dry at different rates, causing the hair to twist and bend while drying) or permanent warp. otherwise known as "frizz"

my 2 cents
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 8:39pm
Why do cuticles matter?
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by GoldieLocks92 GoldieLocks92 wrote:

Why do cuticles matter?

They're like shingles on a roof. If the hair cuticle lays flat, the hair feels smoother, softer, and is more shiny.
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 9:01pm
Thanks everyone. I usually do end showers with cooler water. Good to know that warm/hot water isn't really damaging. I thought I read somewhere that it was.

Thanks for the advice. With many feet of snow outside, it's nice to take warm showers.

:)
Nekita
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic