Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thin k I'm loosing too much hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Trillion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thin k I'm loosing too much hair
    Posted: July 12 2003 at 5:29pm
Hmm, I say you should see youre doctor.
canadienne213 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canadienne213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 3:59pm
DON'T WORRY! The average number of hairs you lose in 1 day is 50! So you probably lose about 50, but you just don't see all of the hairs that fall out. Plus, people with thick hair have more hair, and therefore are more likely to have more hair fall out. You have nothing to worry about.

Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2003 at 11:56am
Maybe I was overreacting... It seems to have stopped now anyway.

But yes a lot of my hairs are only a couple of inches long that comes out while the rest of my hair is about chin length.

I've never understood the hair falling out thing. If it feel out at that rate, then surely your longest hairs would fall out and you'd never be ablet o grow it long? Unless the other hairs have accelerated growth to "catch up" with the rest of the hairs. If they did then maybe biologists will find a way to control it and make a proper long hair formula thingie.

cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2003 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Vineman Vineman wrote:

I have a massive mopf of thick wavy hair so normally looosing hair wouldn't concern me, but I seem to get a lot of hair on my hands when I put my fingers through it. I'm not sure why, it could be leftover hairs from when I got it trimmed/thinned a couple of weeks ago or it could be stress.
I think I've lost around 20 hairs today, is that a lot? It's a lot more than normal but I've been purposely running my fingers though it so maybe that's why; it has a lot of tangles.
I really don't want my hair to go very thin.

Having long thick hair myself, I can understand your anxiety about losing it, but from what you've written, I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Hair has a certain life span - it's dead when it comes out of your scalp, which is why you have to look after it. After it reaches a certain length, then it falls out. This is why some people simply can't grow their hair beyond a certain length without it all looking straggly. We all have an optimum maximum hair length.

This process is entirely natural and nothing to worry about. When the life span of one particular strand of hair is over, then it gets loose. Leave it along for long enough and it will probably fall off your hair by itself, but if you brush or run your fingers through your hair, you'll take it out. It was already no longer growing of your scalp, so finding it in your fingers is nothing to worry about.

If the hair you are finding lying about is not the length of the rest of your hair, then yes, you might be brushing it too much or tugging to hard. If this is the case, you need to revise your de-tangling method. When you're brushing out tangles, be sure to comb through the lower part of your hair, then start from higher up and then higher up and then your tangles should be gone with minimum breakage.

20 hairs? Doesn't sound like a lot to me at all. And even if it is more than you are used to seeing, perhaps you're just becoming more aware of your hair. This is always a good thing.

People with short hair probably won't notice normal hair loss as much as those with longer hair - this is simply because with long haired people the same amount of hairs will present a larger mass due to the longer length. Same loss, just looks scarier.

You mentioned stress - it doesn't seem as if you're losing excessive hair just now, but if you are concerned about a stressful chapter of your life that's happening right now, maybe you should consider taking steps to remedify that before it does start to affect your hair.

Good luck:)

~ Cait x
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 6:07pm
I have thick hair too and a few months ago I also thought that a lot was falling out so I got kinda concerned. I decided to wait a few weeks and then take action if my hair was noticably thinning. I haven't noticed much of a change in thickness but it seems that I stopped loosing so much hair. It was a wierd experiance. Maybe I was just paranoid or maybe I did actually go through a stage where I was loosing more hair than normal but I'll probably never know. Here's one theory that I've heard:   - Although fifty to eighty hairs a day is the normal range of loss, hair that's cut in a 4-inch style may lose 87 hairs a day; hair in a 12-inch flip could suffer the loss of 26 hairs a day, waist-length hair could lose 16 hairs a day, and the extremely rare floor-length hair might only lose two hairs a day. In so many instances, the longer the hair, the stronger the root will be. -
I'm not really sure if I buy all of this but it does sound logical to me so there might be something to it. Also, hormone imbalance and crash dieting can trigger temporary hair loss. I would recommend trying to not concentrate on it so much and also not running your fingers through your hair all the time. It might be a good idea to start taking a multivitamin if you don't already. I hope this puts you a little more at ease!
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 10:51am
I have a massive mopf of thick wavy hair so normally looosing hair wouldn't concern me, but I seem to get a lot of hair on my hands when I put my fingers through it. I'm not sure why, it could be leftover hairs from when I got it trimmed/thinned a couple of weeks ago or it could be stress.
I think I've lost around 20 hairs today, is that a lot? It's a lot more than normal but I've been purposely running my fingers though it so maybe that's why; it has a lot of tangles.
I really don't want my hair to go very thin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic