Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Hair straightening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese Hair straightening
    Posted: November 28 2004 at 2:30pm
I don't trust that treatment. Why would u pay so much wne u can just get a relaxer in a box at walmart. It may be cheap but but 600 dollars is alot to go and pay after 6 months, when relaxers last the same amount of time. Also, i read the technique and its alot of heat, if they are going to flat iron about 50 times, why would u need the rest of the technique, it sounds damaging either way it go. I like my fro, I'm keeping mine 600 dollars ain't worth it.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2004 at 7:22pm
A lot of people have had problems with the CHI system, from what I read on the Straight Talk board.

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP627221160&id=260

I'd want to talk to several satisfied customers before I put that much money into a hair treatment.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Allstar View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2004 at 6:34pm
eh.. i know alot of ppl who has it done... alot of koreans get it done i mean it does get REALLY straight but its like 3-4hours of straightneing... they burn the scalp if the straighter gets too close... u cant wash ur hair.. tie ur hair and if u sleep wrong for 3days (atleast). u might have a dent in ur straightened hair.. its around 80-200.. depends on where u get it done,, how long ur hair is
im acutally thinking of gettin it done during christmas break
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2004 at 11:43pm
I have "Japanese" hair.

Most of the strands are ribbon flat, and they twist like DNA strands until the strand develops kinks.

Drives me nutsssssss!!!
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2004 at 8:18pm
I heard why they invented it. Something about everyone thinking all Japanese people have straight hair but they don't it's frizzy and stuff. I can't really remember it was a long time ago. Here's an excerpt from a conversation at abcnews.com:

Many people ask me why Japan invented TR and their hair looks straight? But it is not true. About 80 percent of Japanese people have wavy or curly hair. And sometimes they do not realize that they have a little wavy hair. As you know Japan is surrounded by the sea and it is very humid and their hair becomes frizzy in this weather. That's why they invented the Japanese TR.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
curlygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curlygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2004 at 6:36pm
its better for your hair then perms and relaxers but they cost up to the thousands if u have alot of hair
o View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 9:12am
you see the chemicals that are in the origional japanese straightening products had not been approved in the U.S. and there for did not come to the U.S. for many years. The ones that are in salons are usually the german versions like Farouk (CHI). Alot of asians have thick wavy hair but have gotten it taken care of b/c they have the products to do so. It's just everyones misconseptions that make it seem like they all have stick straight hair.
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 9:01pm
Lol Vineman. I don't think that all Japanese people have straight hair but I'm not sure. Now that you mention it, that is a bit odd huh?
Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
- M. Scott Peck
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2003 at 9:07am
Umm I wouldn't trust it why would the Japanese be any good at hair straightening? They all already have straight hair anyway =P
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2003 at 9:07am
Umm I wouldn't trust it why would the Japanese be any good at hair straightening? They all already have straight hair anyway =P
cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 6:48pm
I think she uses the Good Hair Day straighteners. They cost around £92, which isn't cheap, but her hair looks stunning. She has naturally curlyish hair, but has straightened it ever since I've known her. When she used a normal metal pair of straighteners, her hair used to look quite frizzy, but she didn't really care, so it wasn't a problem. However, she had her hair straightened in a salon once, her hair looked fab and everyone kept complimenting her, so she went out and splurged on getting her own straighteners from the same brand the salon used

I think probably any brand of ceramic hair straighteners would have the same great effect, not just those from GHD. My hair is supposedly straight naturally, so it's hard for me to justify the expense just to elimate a little bit of frizz, but I can vouch for the effectiveness of GHD straighteners.

If you compare the initial expense of £92 to the £100s+ for chemical straightening treatment that only lasts about 6 months and the length of time a quality pair of straighteners will last you, it's a good alternative. Plus, I think I would personally be happier not to worry about the long term effects of some chemical treatment and to straighten my hair whenever I felt like it (and conversely, curl it also whenever I felt like it). Straight hair can be gorgeous, but I love to experiment with different looks.

Got money to burn? It's up to you.

Cait x
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2003 at 2:51pm
Cait,
What brand is the hair straightener your friend has? Sounds like it's working very well for her!
Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
- M. Scott Peck
cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 4:37pm
There are several new hair straightening treatments available in salons nowadays that promise to straighten your hair. However, if you have long hair, the price increases dramatically.

This makes treatments such as Japanese Hair Straightening too expensive for a lot of people I know, but if you're looking for a more affordable alternative, I would seriously recommend investing in a quality pair of ceramic hair straighteners.

A friend of mine purchased some ceramic hair straighteners last year and the effect to her hair is unbelievable. It is poker straighter and yes, there is no frizz and damage to hair is minimal. I am so jealous.

Cait x
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 11:56pm
I know one person who did it. Yes, it is very straight. You might have better luck posting in the Straight talk category.
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 7:38pm
Has anyone actually tried Japanese Hair straightening? I'm a bit skeptical about such things and it is so painfully expensive. Just wondering if after you wash and air dry it, it really is pin straight like the pictures and does I really damage hair?
- M. Scott Peck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic