Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is weird hair color a no-no?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is weird hair color a no-no?
    Posted: June 27 2004 at 5:26pm
I'm a 16-year-old girl and about to go to a week long journalism workshop with my school's newspaper staff--with whom I'm the assistant editor.

I'm wanting to dye my hair black--it's a medium brown now--and streak it with an electric blue. My hair is chin length in the front and short and spikey in the back (I'm sure you've seen the style before).
Of course, the blue part wouldn't fly at school, so 'd want to color the blue streaks a more natural red or blonde.

My parents are very hesitant about this because of how people will perceive me. I used to dress in all black and dye my hair jet black, but I was a totally different person then. I'm different now. My parents think that other people will think lowly of me (if I dye it black and blue) at the workshop, but I don't think so.

I really want to set myself appart from my older sister, who was a senior and assistant editor last year. I think the main reason I'm assistant editor this year is because of her. It's true that I'm gifted in writing, but I don't want to be "Jane's little sister" any more.

I've already talked to my journalism teacher about me having a "different" hair color and she's cool with it because she realizes its the summer.

Should I do the blue and black hair coloring, will I end up looking like a freaky skunk?
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 1:31am
If it were a professional office job, the kind where you sit in the cubicle and just do what you're told, I would say weird hair is inappropriate. But for the very young, or even a bit older people who work in creative professions where individuality is encouraged, I see nothing wrong with it :-) . I think blue hair is pretty!
More awesome than a manatee!
Wild Rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2004 at 10:10pm
Hey, ur in skool, have a blast, its not like ur dying ur hair hot p!nk (which would be very kool) ur just dying it with blue streaks, ans if u dont like them, get rid of them!!!! Have fun!!!! Be Diffrent!!!!
~*Rose*~

~Beauty rules are meant to be broken, and put back together in your own way~
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2004 at 1:50pm
Go for it. I'd never deem anyone's hair colour "Inappropriate", it's their choice and I don't think even a workplace should judge someone on it. In reality, it has absolutely no bearing on someone's intelligence; if anything it shows they have a strong resiliant personality to do it.

Any job that requires any kind of creativity, it's probably a plus, and you'll get away with it in most techie jobs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic