Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDried Up Seaweed Hair!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simone.(C) View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simone.(C) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dried Up Seaweed Hair!!
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:34am
Hi,
at the moment it's summer in Australia & 38c (105 f), & my hair has become the driest in it's life!, I'm using moisture treatments & keeping out of the sun as much as I can, but I'm really worried that my hair is so dry & brittle as I'm not blow drying(who needs it!!) or abusing it with colors, any ideas, I apreciate anything at this time, as nothing I'm doing is working.

Thanks,
Simone.(C). :)
DA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:25pm
This is the "shea butter & jojoba warm oil treatment" a dry hair treatment that I originally got from Jade. I will try to explain.

Its basically 3 parts jojoba to 1 part shea butter. I use a teaspoon. Place 2 or 3 tspns of Shea Butter in a pyrex type bowl. You know, the little things the size of a cupcake. And put that in the microwave for 2 minutes or until melted. Stir in 6 or 9 tsps of jojoba. After adding the jojoba the mixture should be warm to the touch NOT HOT. If it is
not warm (test on wrist) reheat in microwave for about 20 seconds.

SLATHER the goop on your hair. Start at the ends and work your way up to the scalp. Now you are a mess. :) Wrap your hair up on top of your head and cover the hair in Saran wrap, or other plastic hair cover, and let it cook for 1 or 2 hours. Do house work or tread mill or whatever.
Now wash as usual. You may need need to wash twice. Its amazing. The first time you may actually hear the hair slurping up the oil. :) And because there is no protein you can leave it on as long as you want and do it as often as you need without any damage. Perhaps once a week to start.

If anything is unclear or if you just have questions feel free to ask.

Don
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simone.(C) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 8:42am
Hi Don,
can I substitute shea butter for something else as in Australia it is almost impossible to get in pure form, only The Body Shop has shea butter in some of their conditioners, & they do not help at all!!, I really appreciate the post, sorry to bug you again but my hair really is like seaweed.

Bye 4 Now,
DA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 12:54pm
Hi Simone,

I will have to check on a substitute for the shea buttter. Since you did not mention Jojoba Oil, I am assuming that you can get pure Jojoba with out any problem. The Shea butter blends well with the jojoba oil and thickens it a little and probably helps to hold it on the hair. You should go ahead and use straight WARM jojoba oil by itself for now. I don't know how long your hair is. Mine measures 30" and I can easily use 2oz. or 60ml of jojoba oil on my hair. The company Desert Essence sells a 4oz/120ml bottle. Just glop it on. The important part is to leave it on as long as you can and to keep your hair warm. This will help it to seep into all the "nooks and crannies."

The Vitamin Shoppe sells "La Natura" shea butter on their web sight. One container is about enough for six to eight treatments. Shipping cost may make this a problem.

Good luck, and please ask if you have other questions.

Don
DA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:40pm
Hi again Simone,

I had a discussion with Jade. In the interum Jeff loaded all the old hair talk and Jade could not find our posts.

Don

So here is Jade's response:
-----------
Dear Simone,

What's all this about seaweed hair? My goodness! I would highly suggest that you obtain the shea butter online as Don suggested to you.
The La Natura brand is excellent and it is rather refined which works well with hot oil treatments. Another suggestion I can make on a place which sells shea butter by the pound is Victorian Greenhouse, www.victoriangreenhouse.com. It's like $9.00 per pound there, is more beany, but does the job well:)

I am also glad that you are staying away from the Body Shop's butters. Whether it's the shea or the mango, the butters have very small quantities of the real stuff which you need.

Now, if you cannot obtain the shea, even with a bit of difficulty, my other suggestions to you are the following:
pure jojoba oil, as Don suggested; pure avocado, olive or wheat germ oil--the first two are much heavier than jojoba which it sounds like you may need; and, pure cocoa butter used like the shea in conjuction with the jojoba oil. With the cocoa butter, you must obtain pure cocoa butter or you could have a bit of a mess on your hands.

One thing which I want to stress to you is that I do believe that you should make a conscious effort to use some type of heat with your hot oil treatment. Sort of a double dose, warming the oil/butter concoction, and then using a heating cap or wrapping your hair in saran wrap or a plastic cap and sitting under a dryer. It sounds like you need a concentrated dose. This will get rid of that seaweed hair faster than if you do not use the heat.

I hope that you have been well. It's always a pleasure to see folks from the "old days."

Bye for now, Jade
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simone.(C) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2000 at 12:34am
Hi,
I have tried to reply but I don't know what my posts are doing!!, I cannot find shea butter anywhere here in Australia(Adelaide) can I use a substitute??

Thanks,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic