Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFacts or Myths??!! about hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Loca View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facts or Myths??!! about hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:16am
First of all, ive heard so many things about how to care for your hair im confused.whats up with the Batallia Brush? how does that differ from other brushes?? and why cant u brush your hair when its wet whats the next alternative?? and whats the difference between washing hair in warm water vs. cold water? and is true if one uses too many silicone products in their hair u can permantently seal the product in your hairshaft? (which in turn ruins your hair and it has to be cut out) I also read that a product: larueth/laurel sodium which is in about virtually every shampoo(which causes the lathering affect) can damage your hair and scalp even make one to lose their hair. What kind of shampoo conditioner and styling aids should i purchase that does not contain those chemicals?? also one more thing i use to have very course curly frizzie hard to control hair, i used to routinely cut it in a medium layered style. About fours years ago i began to quit cutting and let it grow out. now i have hair down to the middle part of my back my only problem is: i love the straight look and i want to achieve that style how can i managed to create that style without chemically damaging the shaft or cuticle. ive noticed also that since i grew my hair out the curliness and courseness has diminished it seems softer and more manageable. ( my friend says its due to weight of my hair) and also when i put my hair in a braid ( right after shampooing when its damp) and let it dry that way ive noticed when i remove the braid the crown down to my shoulders is completely straight and soo shiney and silky the ends remain wavy but frizz free. I wished i could get that style without having to braid it any tips??
Karen (TLHV) View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen (TLHV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:16am
First of all, ive heard so many things about how to care for your hair im confused.whats up with the Batallia Brush?The Batallia Brush is the brush that Jim Butchee recommends is one of the best brushes to use on hair. Jim has personally tested this brush and works with it at his salon...Studio B. He has found it to be a high quality brush that will not damage your hair like other brushes might. Jim believe so strongly in this brush that he endorses and sells it here on his web site.how does that differ from other brushes??The Battalia brush is designed to gently brush the hair and not cause breakage or ripping. Other brushes on the market will have little knobs on the ends of each brush spoke that can damage or break your hair. The Battalia brush was designed with brush spokes that are high quality and will not tear your hair.and why cant u brush your hair when its wet whats the next alternative?When you hair is wet is it more pliable and easier to break off. A brush...even a high quality brush....will pull the hair with more force and therefore there is danger of breaking the hair. When your hair is wet you should use either a high quality pick like the Battalia pick...or a high quality comb.The alternative is to use your fingers to gently pick out your hair. This will prevent breakage and harm to wet hairs.Regards...Karen (TLHV)
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen (TLHV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:16am
and whats the difference between washing hair in warm water vs. cold water?Warm or hot water will open the hair shaft which then makes it easier to remove dirt and environmental residues. Cold water closes and seals the hair shaft giving the hair shine and of course it seals the hair shaft. The best approach is to use warm water when you shampoo and then use cold water as a final sealing rinse AFTER you have used any conditioners and rinsed them. The cool/cold rinse is the very last step in the washing process. Cool/cold rinses will often add a shine to your newly washed hair.Regards,Karen (TLHV)PS. Video 4 will have detailed instructions on how to wash the hair and the differences between warm/hot and cool/cold water. Stay tuned for this great new video.
Unregistered
Unregistered
And is it true if one uses too many silicone products in their hair u can permantently seal the product in your hairshaft? (which in turn ruins your hair and it has to be cut out).Well too much silicone can definitely damage the hair because it will coat it and the buildup of the silicone will eventually prevent absorption of other products. However, there are good shampoos (Aveda makes one) that you can use to reverse some of the silicon damage. As with everything this depends on how long you used the silicon product and how damaged your hair is in general.It is best to avoid silicon products except very sparingly.Regards,Karen
Unregistered
Unregistered
I also read that a product: larueth/laurel sodium which is in about virtually every shampoo(which causes the lathering affect) can damage your hair and scalp even make one to lose their hair. What kind of shampoo conditioner and styling aids should i purchase that does not contain those chemicals??Yes...larueth/laurel (l/l) sodium is used as a lathering component in almost every shampoo. Even the best of the "natural" products such as Aveda and Origins use this. The key point is the percentage of the larueth/laurel that is used.Anything used in excessive amounts will eventually do damage. However, Aveda has carefully studied the impact of various components and feels satisfied that if used properly, it will not damage the hair/scalp.I recently visited the famous Kiehl Pharmacy in New York. This company makes all natural shampoos and hair products that is customized to your hair. It is possible that they may be able to make a shampoo for you that would have no larueth/laurel. I don't know that for sure...but it is worth asking. Keep in mind that you need some lather with every shampoo to remove the dirt particles.I personally have been using Aveda shampoo for years and my hair and scalp are in great shape with no obvious problems with the lather components. I can tell you that Aveda has less lather compared to grocery store products such as Breck or Clairol. This is probably due to the percentage of l/l used by Aveda which I know they carefully consider.My hair is in the August gallery of this website (29-33). You can see for yourself that using Aveda has been very beneficial to my hair....l/l and all. All of the photos in our Gallery are Studio B clients and Studio B endorses the Aveda product line.I might also mention that the world famous George Michael shampoo that he personally designed for great hair also has the l/l component.Regards,Karen (TLHV)
Unregistered
Unregistered
About fours years ago i began to quit cutting and let it grow out. now i have hair down to the middle part of my back my only problem is: i love the straight look and i want to achieve that style how can i managed to create that style without chemically damaging the shaft or cuticle. ive noticed also that since i grew my hair out the curliness and courseness has diminished it seems softer and more manageable. ( my friend says its due to weight of my hair) and also when i put my hair in a braid ( right after shampooing when its damp) and let it dry that way ive noticed when i remove the braid the crown down to my shoulders is completely straight and soo shiney and silky the ends remain wavy but frizz free. I wished i could get that style without having to braid it any tips??Congratulations on letting your hair grow out. Yes...braiding is a wonderful way to achieve the straight and shiney and silky look without the fizziness.It is possible to style a straighter look without braids but this would require the use of a blow dryer to control the curliness. My own hair is naturally wavy and curly and if I let it air dry...it is very wavy. If I blow dry my hair after it is towel dried...I can pick it perfectly straight. However, using dryers on a regular basis can dry out or damage your hair. If you are willing to do that...use a good rinse out conditioner and a good blow drying styling protector (Aveda has the Elixer) to protect your hair. Blow dry with your head upside down and use the coolest setting on your dryer. Use a good quality pick to pick your hair out as you dry. This show give you a much straighter look.Regards,Karen
Mary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:16am
Thank you Karen for taking all the time to answer all of those questions.I learned a lot about taking care of long hair.Mary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic