Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOily Scalp/Dry ends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robyn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oily Scalp/Dry ends
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:20am
Hi, I've had long hair my entire life. When I moved to New Mexico, I noticed that the sun and wind were drying my hair out at an alarming rate. I helped control this by braiding my hair every day, but I'm really proud of my long hair, and braiding it just isn't the same as wearing it "down."I love the way it feels against my elbows and arms on a windy day. =)I've recently taken the advice of several people and started brushing my hair carefully 100 strokes each day.My problem: I usually wash my hair in the evening and let it dry while I sleep. By the afternoon of the next day, the hair on my scalp starts looking greasy, and the ends of my hair have become dry.Help!--Robyn
Itzel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:20am
Dear Robyn,It is normal to get dryer hair due to sun exposure, but brushing excessively won't help at all! If you wish to wear it down, you'll have to wash more often (Aveda twice a day shouldn't be harmful) and put some sunscreen to protect it.I am no expert, but I hope this helps!Itzel
«On ne naît pas femme: on le
devient» -Simone de Beauvoir
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:20am
Check out the Summer Hair Care Tips in the Tips section of this web site.Jeff.> Hi, I've had long hair my entire life. When> I moved to New Mexico, I noticed that the sun> and wind were drying my hair out at an alarming> rate. I helped control this by braiding my hair> every day, but I'm really proud of my long hair,> and braiding it just isn't the same as wearing> it "down."> I love the way it feels against my elbows> and arms on a windy day. =)> I've recently taken the advice of several> people and started brushing my hair carefully> 100 strokes each day.> My problem: I usually wash my hair in the> evening and let it dry while I sleep. By the afternoon> of the next day, the hair on my scalp starts looking> greasy, and the ends of my hair have become dry.>> Help!> --Robyn
xoom!
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:20am
> Hi, I've had long hair my entire life. When> I moved to New Mexico, I noticed that the sun> and wind were drying my hair out at an alarming> rate. I helped control this by braiding my hair> every day, but I'm really proud of my long hair,> and braiding it just isn't the same as wearing> it "down."> I love the way it feels against my elbows> and arms on a windy day. =)> I've recently taken the advice of several> people and started brushing my hair carefully> 100 strokes each day.> My problem: I usually wash my hair in the> evening and let it dry while I sleep. By the afternoon> of the next day, the hair on my scalp starts looking> greasy, and the ends of my hair have become dry.>> Help!> --RobynRobyn,Usually, when I have the problem that you are having, it means I didn't rinse out my conditioner well enough; I may have used too much when I washed it. If your hair is thick, as mine is, it may be harder to rinse conditioner from the hair closest to your scalp. Maybe you could try putting less comditioner on this part of your hair, and more on the dry ends.I hope I have been of some help!:-)
Dave Tichenor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tichenor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:20am
Robyn. When ever your hair becomes greasy or oily at the roots and dry at the ends, it means that you need to brush it again. This will of course spread the natural oil of your hair to the ends where it is needed.I major change in climate will have these type of effects on your hair. Whether this condition will good away I do not know, but sudden change on your hair can be much like the sudden change to the climate of a plant. So please be careful. The shampoo that you use before you moved may not be right for you now. It may be incresing the effects of the change in your new climate.Hair is a funny but marvelous thing.If I can be of any futher help please let me know. I am sure you can find some great advice from the Studio B crew.Dave Tichenor TILHC@long.hair4u.com> Hi, I've had long hair my entire life. When> I moved to New Mexico, I noticed that the sun> and wind were drying my hair out at an alarming> rate. I helped control this by braiding my hair> every day, but I'm really proud of my long hair,> and braiding it just isn't the same as wearing> it "down."> I love the way it feels against my elbows> and arms on a windy day. =)> I've recently taken the advice of several> people and started brushing my hair carefully> 100 strokes each day.> My problem: I usually wash my hair in the> evening and let it dry while I sleep. By the afternoon> of the next day, the hair on my scalp starts looking> greasy, and the ends of my hair have become dry.>> Help!> --Robyn
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:20am
Dear Itzel,It was so great to see your post on Hair Talk. I was wondering how you were doing with your hair? It is always a pleasure to see your responses.Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Itzel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Itzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
> Dear Itzel,> It was so great to see your post on Hair> Talk. I was wondering how you were doing with> your hair? It is always a pleasure to see your> responses.> KarenDear Karen,My hair is doing great, thanks for asking! Now that Christmas is approaching, my family wants to know what I'd like to recieve. Of course, I told them I wanted Aveda shampoos and conditionners, and of course, they think I'm crazy. I wanted to seek your advice on this matter...I am now alternating between Shampure and Black Malva and I wash every day (and my hair looks better than ever, thanks to your advice!!!). I use Cherry/Almond Bark as my regular conditionner. Once a month or so, I use Hair Detox and Currescence.Could you suggest another product that would suit my oily scalp and dry ends?Thanks a lot Karen, and take care!!!Itzel
«On ne naît pas femme: on le
devient» -Simone de Beauvoir
June View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote June Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:23am
Hi Robyn,Extra brushing and extra washing may actually stimulate your scalp to produce more oil. Also, the extra friction from brushing can be damaging to your hair. So be careful here.I think that the products you use DO matter, but I don't think that there is just one good shampoo. Learn about the ingredients, some may actually stimulate oil or irritate. (I can't remember which ones do, sorry.) I've been reading the book "Don't go shopping for hair care products without me" which is very instructional about what the ingredients are and what they do. (I don't take it as a 'bible'. It says there's no difference between drug store products and salon products, but I disagree. I've usually gotten better results from most salon products.)One thing you could try is washing ONLY your scalp. Rinse extra well to make sure that your scalp is rinsed clean of any residue. When rinsing, enough shampoo is rinsed through the ends to clean them. Avoiding the ends, you also avoid the friction problem as well. Wash the entire length of your hair, as before, only once a week or so.Also try avoiding your scalp entirely with the conditioner; condition only the ends. Your natural oils are enough for the hair next to the scalp usually. For the fly away ends, try a leave-in conditioner on the ends only.Also, has your diet changed since you moved out west? If your face is also becoming more oily, you might look more at the cause. Then you can prevent the oil rather than just getting rid of it when your hair gets greasy.Windy days are a good day for braids however. When wind whips your hair around, it's not too good for the ends. Or bind it up well when you're outside, but let it down when you get inside so you can enjoy it!Good luck. June****************> Hi, I've had long hair my entire life. When> I moved to New Mexico, I noticed that the sun> and wind were drying my hair out at an alarming> rate. I helped control this by braiding my hair> every day, but I'm really proud of my long hair,> and braiding it just isn't the same as wearing> it "down."> I love the way it feels against my elbows> and arms on a windy day. =)> I've recently taken the advice of several> people and started brushing my hair carefully> 100 strokes each day.> My problem: I usually wash my hair in the> evening and let it dry while I sleep. By the afternoon> of the next day, the hair on my scalp starts looking> greasy, and the ends of my hair have become dry.>> Help!> --Robyn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic