Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion for Karen about my hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tiara View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for Karen about my hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:20am
A question to Karen (and others w/ experience w/ long hair): I am trying to grow out my hair. It is fine but thick and has a fair amount of natural curl/wave. It is currently all one length exact for a small fringe of bangs. The sides are slightly angled. It is mid-back length and seems very healthy. However, out of concern for my hair I am trying to stop blow-drying it since I'm afraid of damaging it. I like wearing my hair straight. However, when I don't blow dry it, I get frustrated with it because it is always curly. This gets annoying, because as soon as I comb or brush it, it turns into a frizzy mess. If I put gel or spray on it, this helps tame the frizz somewhat, but then when I go to pick out my hair, I can hear it breaking! It is driving me nuts. How can I air dry my hair w/out looking awful? Thanks in advance for your help!
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:20am
> A question to Karen (and others w/ experience> w/ long hair): I am trying to grow out my hair.> It is fine but thick and has a fair amount of> natural curl/wave. It is currently all one length> exact for a small fringe of bangs. The sides are> slightly angled. It is mid-back length and seems> very healthy. However, out of concern for my hair> I am trying to stop blow-drying it since I'm afraid> of damaging it. I like wearing my hair straight.> However, when I don't blow dry it, I get frustrated> with it because it is always curly. This gets> annoying, because as soon as I comb or brush it,> it turns into a frizzy mess. If I put gel or spray> on it, this helps tame the frizz somewhat, but> then when I go to pick out my hair, I can hear> it breaking! It is driving me nuts. How can I> air dry my hair w/out looking awful? Thanks in> advance for your help!Dear Tiara,I think you should try some leave-in conditioners, or have you ever tried Frizz-ease products? They are especially made for people with frizzy hair, and you don't have to go to a salon to get them, they sell them at CVS and other local drugstores.As for air-drying you hair, try combing out all the knots with a good-quality comb or pick, then braiding it and letting it dry this way. One more thing: I also have naturally wavy/curly hair, and I used to want it strait, too, but I learned to accept it the way it is. I think the idea that strait is better is false. That is just my opinion!
Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:20am
Tiara I must agree with Lisa,don't worry about it being straight, wavy is very nice and seems to me to be more natural.As she has beautiful hair the same as yours ,take her advice for the care she takes should work for you.> Tom> Dear Tiara,> I think you should try some leave-in conditioners,> or have you ever tried Frizz-ease products? They> are especially made for people with frizzy hair,> and you don't have to go to a salon to get them,> they sell them at CVS and other local drugstores.>> As for air-drying you hair, try combing out> all the knots with a good-quality comb or pick,> then braiding it and letting it dry this way.> One more thing: I also have naturally wavy/curly> hair, and I used to want it strait, too, but I> learned to accept it the way it is. I think the> idea that strait is better is false. That is just> my opinion!
:)
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:20am
Dear Tiara,Believe it or not...I have naturally wavy hair. I used to fight the "wave demons" by blow drying my hair straight but I finally gave up and let my hair "do it's thing". Jim Butchee convinced me that my hair looked really great with all the natural waves. So now I only blow dry my hair straight for very special events so that I can "save" my hair.How do I prevent the frizzies? Well I have many little tricks that I use. I alternate Aveda shampoos. I found that the Shampure is such a gentle shampoo that it leaves my hair very manageable. I also found that I get really great body and waves with the Blue Malva...without the frizzies.I always use a "leave in" conditioner. I will first use either Cherry Almond Bark or Deep Conditioner and rinse it out. Then I may use the Aveda Confixer and "scrunch" my hair and let it air dry. It does not get frizzy and looks like I rolled my hair to get all the layers of waves.I also use the Curessence spray from Aveda. I will spray a little in the palms of my hands and then finger pick my hair which gives a non frizzy softer wave look. I will sometimes use one of the Phyto or Fuerter leave in conditioners in for a tighter wave with no frizzies.The blonde model on our home page has naturally wavey/curly hair and she gets non frizzy natural curls with some of the Aveda leave in conditioners.As far as letting my hair air dry...I will just blot it dry with a towel, pick it out with my pick, apply the leave in conditioner of my choice...then either pin it up in a loose bun, a 3 strand braid...or sometimes I will just let if hang down. Each way produces a slightly different look.I just love experiementing. I think with the right leave in conditioner and shampoo you can avoid the "frizzies". I would like to mention that Phyto makes several products designed specifically for curly and wavy hair. I love Phyto but I have had such great luck with Aveda...I mainly use that.For more info on Phyto see the Articles & Tips. I did a complete review of the Phyto products which I tested for one month.Good luck. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.Regards,Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
June View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote June Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
Don'tcha just hate it when people try to talk you out of what you want??? Oh well, I'm happy with my hair curly or straight or just naturally wavey... But I prefer it straight. See my message to 'frustrated' under Straightening my Hair from October 24th; it's too lengthy to try and repeat it. Good luck!June> A question to Karen (and others w/ experience> w/ long hair): I am trying to grow out my hair.> It is fine but thick and has a fair amount of> natural curl/wave. It is currently all one length> exact for a small fringe of bangs. The sides are> slightly angled. It is mid-back length and seems> very healthy. However, out of concern for my hair> I am trying to stop blow-drying it since I'm afraid> of damaging it. I like wearing my hair straight.> However, when I don't blow dry it, I get frustrated> with it because it is always curly. This gets> annoying, because as soon as I comb or brush it,> it turns into a frizzy mess. If I put gel or spray> on it, this helps tame the frizz somewhat, but> then when I go to pick out my hair, I can hear> it breaking! It is driving me nuts. How can I> air dry my hair w/out looking awful? Thanks in> advance for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic