Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedgoing natural

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KEISHA PIPER View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KEISHA PIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: going natural
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:26am
I am a African American female who is seriously considering keeping all chemicals off my hair. I currently have extensions in my hair and the last relaxer I had was in October. I'm thinking of warm pressing my hair in between braiding. I need information on how to keep my hair healthy as I make the change from chemicals to natural. I want my hair to be long and healthy. My hair has been damaged and thinned out on the temple, since I 've had braids and no chemicals on it my hair has started to grow back. Please email me back before 15 Feb 98. Thanks for your cooperation.
Auggie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:26am
Hey Keisha,From what I've read, your hair is THE most delicate and fragile of all the hair types... yet you're under the most society pressure to force it into complicated styles that it was never intended to do... hence all the chemicals.I don't have any personal experience to give you, just encouragement. If I can find that article that I read, I'll see what it says and get back to you.Good luck, Auggie
Leilani View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leilani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:26am
Keisha, I can relate to your wanting to go natural. I am African-American and I decided to start wearing my hair natural two-years ago. Let me tell you, the change was almost revolutionary. I love it! I had always worn my natural hair pressed straight and I wanted to go natural (curly) in order to have more freedom, ie. workout, swimming. However, I did not want to go short. My hair was about 12 inches in length when I went natural and is now down to my bra strap due to the way that I handle it and that I no longer use heat to style it. I do press my hair occasionally, but ONLY every four months or for special occasions. The book, Good Hair, by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner was a great help for me and I am sure that you will find it useful. My goal now is to grow my hair to my waist! I hope to reach my goal in about 1 1/2 - 2 years. Good luck in finding the right information that puts you on the path to the hair of your dreams.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic