Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhair extensions --HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair extensions --HELP
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:29am
does anyone know the best way to care for human hair extensions that are braided on. I like the fullness that they give, however I am having a big problem with snarling and matting. I have been using detanglers, and they are not helping very much.
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:29am
Hi Mary....I have never had extensions...however....a friend of mine did. I also know a beauty consultant who has had some experience with extension.Here are some recommendations based on talking to them.1. Always make sure you totally detangle your hair BEFORE you wash it. This will help keep the tangles down after the hair is wet. Use a wide comb or a pick to get the tangles out.2. Use the softest shampoo possible. From this suggestion I would recommend that you use Aveda's Shampure which is their most gentle shampoo. You could also use one of the Phyto shampoos for dry hair. Bain de Terre also has a gentle shampoo.3. When you wash your hair, ony put the shampoo on the scalp and then let the suds from the scalp carefully flow through the extension parts. Shampoo...even gentle...will sometimes cause the extensions to matt or tangle.4. Use both a good wash out conditioner that you prefer and use a good detangler spray. Aveda Curressence leave in conditioner will soften the extension hair considerably. Only apply the conditioner to the part of your hair that needs the softening. If you apply it all over, you may find your natural hair getting too soft.5. Rinse your hair well and finish with a cool to cold rinse. Towel blot your hair carefully (don't rub it, just pat it and squeeze it carefully to get excess water out).6. Use a good detangling spray like Curressence detangler or a good detangling from Bain de Terre or Phyto...or whatever product you prefer.7. While your hair is wet, carefully pick out the hair. This should help with the tangles.8. As you detangle, start from the bottom and carefully work up from the tips to the root of the hair. Also, only detangle small sections at a time. This prevents the bulk of your hair from getting clumped together.9. To prevent tangles while you sleep, consider sleeping on a satin pillowcase.10. Pin your hair up or tie it back when you are out in windy conditions. This can tangle the hair and make it harder to detangle later.Good luck. I am glad to hear you love your new look.You may want to visit a hair care discount shop and ask for recommendations on products for extensions. You could also call the place where you received the extensions and ask if there are specific products that they have had good luck with.If you have any other questions...please let me know.Regards.Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic