Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKaren's Hair Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cindy V View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karen's Hair Tips
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:32am
WOW. Karen really knows how to grow gorgeous long hair. Does she have a article with all her secrets in it somewhere?Cindy V
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:32am
Cindy,Thanks for the compliments.Here is my routine.I currently use the Aveda hair care products. I love them and have been using them for many years.I have a 3 day hair care product rotation.Day #1 I use Aveda Shampure and then Cherry Almond Bark conditioner in the shower. I do a cold water rinse (brrrrrr) and then use a special hair towel to soak up the water. Then I spray Aveda Curressence (leave in) Spray through my hair and pick it with my Efalock pick. I blow dry the bangs ONLY on the coldest slowest setting and then I let the rest of my hair air dry. If I want it straight I keep picking my hair until it is straight.If I want the natural wave to come out I will either braid my hair and let it air dry or I will wrap it up in a bun after I first apply some Confixer and scrunch the hair.Day #2 I use Aveda Blue Malva shampoo (for blondes) and Deep Conditioner because the color shampoos are more drying. I use Curressence (leave in) Spray and will pick out my hair and either let it air dry straight or do the braid or bun trick I mention above.Day #3 I use Aveda Chamomile and Curressence Conditioner (rinse out). I use Curressence spray and pick out my hair.Once a week I apply Aveda Beautifying Oil to the ends of my hair and any other dry parts and then wrap it into a bun and apply a shower cap. I leave it on all day and sometimes all night. It works really great for dry ends.I get my hair religiously trimmed every 8-10 weeks at Salon Michelle by Shelly Pryor who specializes in long hair.Some other tips:I never wash my hair without first picking out all the knots. I brush my hair sparingly and use the Battalia brush. I trim my split ends with a special hair cutting scissors on the day of the Full Moon and the day of the New Moon to help it grow thicker and faster (I am not sure if this really works, but I think it helps).I eat seaweed every day (Kelp) and will massage Basil Oil into my scalp about 1x a month. I mix the Basil Oil with extra virgin olive oil.Hope that helps.Karen> WOW. Karen really knows how to grow gorgeous> long hair. Does she have a article with all her> secrets in it somewhere?> Cindy V
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Cheryl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:32am
Now Karen, with you mentioning Aveda..you know I had to speak up! First off, I haven't heard of the camomile shampoo.. What hair type is this for? I know the Shampure is a shampoo for most everyone. How do you rate the difference between the two? The other day I went for a Glamour photo session. It came free with my daughter's graduation sitting for the Mom of the house. I had never gone and thought it would be fun. Turns out the lady doing the make up asked me what I used on my hair because the condition of it was great. She said she could also smell the Curessence and had a hunch I used Aveda products. Also, she used to sell Aveda where she worked. We got into a big discussion about long hair and Aveda. It was great. I did learn one thing out of the session tho, and that is I am paranoid over my hair. Everything they did, I watched them like a hawk so they wouldn't do any damage. I have been through enough of that! I think I was a handful for them, making sure they used a comb instead of a brush and if the curlers were too hot, etc. I learned from the experience that I want my long hair back very badly! take care..Cheryl> Cindy,> Thanks for the compliments.> Here is my routine.> I currently use the Aveda hair care products.> I love them and have been using them for many> years.> I have a 3 day hair care product rotation.>> Day #1 I use Aveda Shampure and then Cherry> Almond Bark conditioner in the shower. I do a> cold water rinse (brrrrrr) and then use a special> hair towel to soak up the water. Then I spray> Aveda Curressence (leave in) Spray through my> hair and pick it with my Efalock pick. I blow> dry the bangs ONLY on the coldest slowest setting> and then I let the rest of my hair air dry. If> I want it straight I keep picking my hair until> it is straight.> If I want the natural wave to come out I> will either braid my hair and let it air dry or> I will wrap it up in a bun after I first apply> some Confixer and scrunch the hair.> Day #2 I use Aveda Blue Malva shampoo (for> blondes) and Deep Conditioner because the color> shampoos are more drying. I use Curressence (leave> in) Spray and will pick out my hair and either> let it air dry straight or do the braid or bun> trick I mention above.> Day #3 I use Aveda Chamomile and Curressence> Conditioner (rinse out). I use Curressence spray> and pick out my hair.> Once a week I apply Aveda Beautifying Oil> to the ends of my hair and any other dry parts> and then wrap it into a bun and apply a shower> cap. I leave it on all day and sometimes all night.> It works really great for dry ends.> I get my hair religiously trimmed every 8-10> weeks at Salon Michelle by Shelly Pryor who specializes> in long hair.> Some other tips:> I never wash my hair without first picking> out all the knots. I brush my hair sparingly and> use the Battalia brush. I trim my split ends with> a special hair cutting scissors on the day of> the Full Moon and the day of the New Moon to help> it grow thicker and faster (I am not sure if this> really works, but I think it helps).> I eat seaweed every day (Kelp) and will massage> Basil Oil into my scalp about 1x a month. I mix> the Basil Oil with extra virgin olive oil.> Hope that helps.> Karen
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:32am
Hi Cheryl,Chamomile is for blondes and actually has chamomile flowers in the formula. Blue Malva is also for blondes and gray and white hair. I find that the Chamomile gives me golden highlights and the Blue Malva gives me more platinum highlights. I love both of them...but they are more drying than the Shampure. In my opinion all of the color shampoos are more drying. That is why I alternate them with the Shampure.Congrats on getting the Glamour shots. Would you be willing to let us post some of them on our site? I am sure there are many Cheryl fans like me that would love to see your hair. Of course if you would rather now...I certainly would understand. :-)I also understand about being paranoid about your hair. I am like that with my own hair. I even get nervous sometimes when I am having my trusted hair stylist work on it. I trust her completely....but still watch to make sure that everything is OK.Thank you for speaking up about Aveda.By the way..here is a secret....Jeff and I are going to have a special "Thank You For 200,000 Visitors" contest and we are going to be giving away $100 worth of Aveda products as the grand prize. Watch for details.I may cry having to pack up my favorite products and send them off...but it will be worth it. :-)Thanks for you comments Cheryl.Warm regards,Karen
Cheryl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:32am
I would love to send in one of my pics.. I get the proofs back in 2 weeks. If you give me an address, I will send one to you. Also, thanks for the info on the chamomile shampoo. The stylist at the shop where I buy my Aveda products said he didn't think I needed the Blue Malva because of the color of my silver. Also I have to be careful because my hair is super porous and latches onto color. So far I have only tried the shampure shampoo and am quite satisfied. Have you tried the Marie Louise line yet? What is your opinion of the difference between it and Aveda? I know everyone's test results may vary but just wondering about your opinion. Also, I will look for the contest for sure if Aveda is the prize!! Sounds neat. :-) Cheryl> Hi Cheryl,> Chamomile is for blondes and actually has> chamomile flowers in the formula. Blue Malva is> also for blondes and gray and white hair. I find> that the Chamomile gives me golden highlights> and the Blue Malva gives me more platinum highlights.> I love both of them...but they are more drying> than the Shampure. In my opinion all of the color> shampoos are more drying. That is why I alternate> them with the Shampure.> Congrats on getting the Glamour shots. Would> you be willing to let us post some of them on> our site? I am sure there are many Cheryl fans> like me that would love to see your hair. Of course> if you would rather now...I certainly would understand.> :-)> I also understand about being paranoid about> your hair. I am like that with my own hair. I> even get nervous sometimes when I am having my> trusted hair stylist work on it. I trust her completely....but> still watch to make sure that everything is OK.>> Thank you for speaking up about Aveda.> By the way..here is a secret....Jeff and> I are going to have a special "Thank You> For 200,000 Visitors" contest and we are> going to be giving away $100 worth of Aveda products> as the grand prize. Watch for details.> I may cry having to pack up my favorite products> and send them off...but it will be worth it. :-)>> Thanks for you comments Cheryl.> Warm regards,> Karen>
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:32am
Hello everyone!This is my first post to this board (I recently bought my first PC). I want to compliment Karen and Jeff for creating and maintaining this extraordinary website. What a great place for those of us to share our thoughts about our appreciation for beautiful, long hair!Because Karen has spoken so highly of Aveda products, I just bought their Shampure shampoo and Cherry Almond Bark conditioner, and used them for the first time yesterday. I love the way it makes my hair feel, and it smells great! I have been using Systeme Biolage for most of the past four years, which works well... but (so far) I like the Aveda products better. I actually used very little of the shampoo (it seems pretty concentrated).Anyway, I have two questions. The lady at the salon (not my regular salon) suggested that after washing and squeezing out the excess water to apply the conditioner and leave it on. But when I got home it says to leave on 2-5 minutes, longer for deep conditioning. Is it a bad idea to leave a conditioner on that's does not claim to serve that purpose?Also, she asked me if I "wet" my hair every day, and looked at me incredulously when I said that I only wash it every other day, maybe three times a week. And when I let it go to that occasional third day, it sometimes starts to feel kind of dry and crunchy. She recommended that if I don't wash my hair every day that I should at least get most of it somewhat wet. Am I damaging my hair by keeping it dry for 2 and sometimes 3 days straight?Thanks in advance for any helpful answers :)Dave
David M Squires
KAREN View Drop Down

Hi Dave,Welcome to Hair Talk. Congratulations on your first use of Aveda. It doesn't work for everyone, but when it works for your hair, it is a wonderful experience...at least in my opinion.To answer your questions.....you can be creative with the Aveda products. I have tried all sorts of things. Gloria Ruben from the ER television show has stated in an interview that I read that she washes her hair with Shampure, applies Cherry Almond Bark, wraps her hair in a bun and leaves it in her hair all day.The woman who gives me facials at the Rejuvena Day Spa in Dallas told me last week that she was wearing Deep Conditioner in her hair. I said...huh? She explained that she had washed her hair and applied Deep Conditioner. Then she slicked her hair back in a bun and came to work. I looked closely and sure enough...she had Aveda Deep Conditioner on her hair.She....Debra Lynne...told me that she will do this periodically with great results. She will leave the Deep Conditioner in all day with her hair in a slicked back bun and then wash it out. She told me her hair is awesome after a day of Deep Conditioner.Gloria Ruben said the same thing about the Cherry Almond Bark.So to answer your question...I think you can try all kinds of things. Cheryl, who is on this board, has a great trick that she uses with the Aveda Curressence conditioner.As far as how often you wash your hair....my opinion is to do what works best for you. I generally wash my hair every day...but will also skip a day on the weekend if I feel like I can get away with it.Again....try things that work for you Dave.Thanks for your compliments and for the post. Keep coming back...we all learn from new ideas like your questions.Regards,Karen> Hello everyone!> This is my first post to this board (I recently> bought my first PC). I want to compliment Karen> and Jeff for creating and maintaining this extraordinary> website. What a great place for those of us to> share our thoughts about our appreciation for> beautiful, long hair!> Because Karen has spoken so highly of Aveda> products, I just bought their Shampure shampoo> and Cherry Almond Bark conditioner, and used them> for the first time yesterday. I love the way it> makes my hair feel, and it smells great! I have> been using Systeme Biolage for most of the past> four years, which works well... but (so far) I> like the Aveda products better. I actually used> very little of the shampoo (it seems pretty concentrated).>> Anyway, I have two questions. The lady at> the salon (not my regular salon) suggested that> after washing and squeezing out the excess water> to apply the conditioner and leave it on. But> when I got home it says to leave on 2-5 minutes,> longer for deep conditioning. Is it a bad idea> to leave a conditioner on that's does not claim> to serve that purpose?> Also, she asked me if I "wet" my> hair every day, and looked at me incredulously> when I said that I only wash it every other day,> maybe three times a week. And when I let it go> to that occasional third day, it sometimes starts> to feel kind of dry and crunchy. She recommended> that if I don't wash my hair every day that I> should at least get most of it somewhat wet. Am> I damaging my hair by keeping it dry for 2 and> sometimes 3 days straight?> Thanks in advance for any helpful answers> :)> Dave
KAREN View Drop Down

Hi Cheryl,Address for your photos (I am very excited that you are willing to share these with us here). Jeff and I always love to get photos of our visitors to share on the site. Thank you so much.Karen Shelton % T&S Software Associates 1846 East Rosemeade PKWY Suite #293 Carrollton, Texas 75007I can see what your stylist means about having porous hair and the Aveda Blue Malva affecting it. With your recent trauma from the well water eating your hair (I still shudder at the thought) I can see why your stylist want you to continue with the Shampure. It is very mild and formulated for hair that has suffered from trauma or as just a good all around shampoo.I use the Chamomile and Blue Malva because my hair has not had any problems for awhile.I have not gotten to the Louise Marie yet. I was planning on doing that in the next few months when I have some serious time to evaluate it and write a detailed report.I have received an article that we will be posting soon from another visitor who evaluated Louise Marie and wrote me about it. I will post that in the next week or so.Thanks for asking. I know some of the women who have tried Louise Marie love it.Thanks again Cheryl.Karen> I would love to send in one of my pics..> I get the proofs back in 2 weeks. If you give> me an address, I will send one to you. Also, thanks> for the info on the chamomile shampoo. The stylist> at the shop where I buy my Aveda products said> he didn't think I needed the Blue Malva because> of the color of my silver. Also I have to be careful> because my hair is super porous and latches onto> color. So far I have only tried the shampure shampoo> and am quite satisfied. Have you tried the Marie> Louise line yet? What is your opinion of the difference> between it and Aveda? I know everyone's test results> may vary but just wondering about your opinion.> Also, I will look for the contest for sure if> Aveda is the prize!! Sounds neat. :-) Cheryl
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:32am
> Also, she asked me if I "wet" my> hair every day, and looked at me incredulously> when I said that I only wash it every other day,> maybe three times a week. And when I let it go> to that occasional third day, it sometimes starts> to feel kind of dry and crunchy. She recommended> that if I don't wash my hair every day that I> should at least get most of it somewhat wet. Am> I damaging my hair by keeping it dry for 2 and> sometimes 3 days straight?Welcome Dave.I wash my hair only 3 times a week. However for me I get the opposite effect... it doesn't get drier over time, but as the oils re-distribute down my hair it seems to develop more moisture and softens a bit. I don't know... I've never heard that you should get your hair wet every day.-jj
Cheryl View Drop Down

My hair is only just below shoulder length now and with it being curled up, it will look quite short in the glamour photo's, I am sure. But I would love to send in one anyway. About the Louise Marie..(I had the name backwards!) I would be interested in any info on it. Not that I am looking for a change..Aveda is great. Just curious. I always like to have info just in case people ask about certain products. The stylist who recommended that I not use the Blue Malva seemed to think it may turn my silver a blue shade since it's already very silver in color. Ever heard of that happening? I hope to send you a photo in about 3 weeks.. will a wallet sized one be ok? C~> Hi Cheryl,> Address for your photos (I am very excited> that you are willing to share these with us here).> Jeff and I always love to get photos of our visitors> to share on the site. Thank you so much.> Karen Shelton % T&S Software Associates 1846> East Rosemeade PKWY Suite #293 Carrollton, Texas> 75007> I can see what your stylist means about having> porous hair and the Aveda Blue Malva affecting> it. With your recent trauma from the well water> eating your hair (I still shudder at the thought)> I can see why your stylist want you to continue> with the Shampure. It is very mild and formulated> for hair that has suffered from trauma or as just> a good all around shampoo.> I use the Chamomile and Blue Malva because> my hair has not had any problems for awhile.> I have not gotten to the Louise Marie yet.> I was planning on doing that in the next few months> when I have some serious time to evaluate it and> write a detailed report.> I have received an article that we will be> posting soon from another visitor who evaluated> Louise Marie and wrote me about it. I will post> that in the next week or so.> Thanks for asking. I know some of the women> who have tried Louise Marie love it.> Thanks again Cheryl.> Karen
Marsha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marsha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:32am
It's a good idea to "wet" or rinse your hair daily between shampoos to rinse away a little residue and revive curls and moisture, if your hair is naturally curly. I have mid-back length naturally curly hair that I wash every 2 to 3 days.Sometimes a daily shampooing dries out my hair too much. On days when I skip a shampoo, I will rinse my hair or spritz it with a spray bottle. If it's especially dry, I will condition it without shampooing. I learned that trick from a couple hair books. It doesn't work for everyone, but it has helped me out a lot. I also use Aveda products. They're great. I am also going to try out Ouidad products. There is a special sampler set for sale now. You might want to look into it. Good luck!-------Marsha> Hello everyone!> This is my first post to this board (I recently> bought my first PC). I want to compliment Karen> and Jeff for creating and maintaining this extraordinary> website. What a great place for those of us to> share our thoughts about our appreciation for> beautiful, long hair!> Because Karen has spoken so highly of Aveda> products, I just bought their Shampure shampoo> and Cherry Almond Bark conditioner, and used them> for the first time yesterday. I love the way it> makes my hair feel, and it smells great! I have> been using Systeme Biolage for most of the past> four years, which works well... but (so far) I> like the Aveda products better. I actually used> very little of the shampoo (it seems pretty concentrated).>> Anyway, I have two questions. The lady at> the salon (not my regular salon) suggested that> after washing and squeezing out the excess water> to apply the conditioner and leave it on. But> when I got home it says to leave on 2-5 minutes,> longer for deep conditioning. Is it a bad idea> to leave a conditioner on that's does not claim> to serve that purpose?> Also, she asked me if I "wet" my> hair every day, and looked at me incredulously> when I said that I only wash it every other day,> maybe three times a week. And when I let it go> to that occasional third day, it sometimes starts> to feel kind of dry and crunchy. She recommended> that if I don't wash my hair every day that I> should at least get most of it somewhat wet. Am> I damaging my hair by keeping it dry for 2 and> sometimes 3 days straight?> Thanks in advance for any helpful answers> :)> Dave
Marsha
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:32am
Hi jj,Thanks for the kind welcome!For me, over time the only thing that gets oilier is my scalp. When I go three days between shampooing, the hair just a few inches from my scalp tends to be neither dry nor oily, but the bottom half of my hair tends to tangle more easily and feels dry. Lately I've gone to washing every other day and this has seemed to help. It seems like the third day is the the time when my hair has "run out" of -- moisture? -- and apparently needs the re-charge of a washing?Dave
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

Marsha,Lately I've been washing it every other day, which has helped me to avoid the dryness. From now on, if/when I go to a third day, I'll make a point of dampening it and probably also use a little spot of conditioner with it. I really don't like the feel of it when it gets dry. My hair is straight with a tendency to wave a little at the ends -- but only when my hair first dries. Second day, it's straight again. Whatever -- it works for me! :)Thanks for the suggestion!Dave
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

Karen,Thanks for your warm welcome! I appreciate the time you have taken to consider my concern.About 3-4 years ago, I used to occasionally (maybe once a month) wet my hair, slather on conditioner, twist it up and then put it above my pillow before going to sleep. Wake up in the morning and wash. I liked the results but I guess I had the steps reversed, huh? I suppose it would probably work better if I wash first, then deep condition, and then just rinse out.I've done this maybe once in the past year -- been a little too busy (excuses, excuses...) but I'll try it in the next few days and THIS time wash first before conditioning!Thanks again for the advice,Dave
David M Squires
KAREN View Drop Down

Hi Marsha,I wanted to add a comment about Ouidad and her products. I was shocked and very pleased to get a personal email from Ouidad herself this week thanking me for giving a Hair Boutique visitor information about her shop in New York and her products.I had a friend - go to the Ouidad salon a few months ago and she was very impressed with the products and the services and her curly hair never did better. So I recommend Ouidad for curly hair problems or questions.Ouidad just got major points in my book for being gracious enough to send me a personal thank you.What a classy lady and she really knows curly hair.Karen> It's a good idea to "wet" or rinse> your hair daily between shampoos to rinse away> a little residue and revive curls and moisture,> if your hair is naturally curly. I have mid-back> length naturally curly hair that I wash every> 2 to 3 days.Sometimes a daily shampooing dries> out my hair too much. On days when I skip a shampoo,> I will rinse my hair or spritz it with a spray> bottle. If it's especially dry, I will condition> it without shampooing. I learned that trick from> a couple hair books. It doesn't work for everyone,> but it has helped me out a lot. I also use Aveda> products. They're great. I am also going to try> out Ouidad products. There is a special sampler> set for sale now. You might want to look into> it. Good luck!> -------MarshaRelated Link:Ouidad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic