Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJeff gives Anne a haircut...Cute Story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeff gives Anne a haircut...Cute Story
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Haircut!Meet Anne, a friend of mine.One evening, while I was out with her and a few friends sheannounced that she wanted a haircut.I said that I have hardly had any experience with scissors; but,after a few pints of beer, that didn't seem to matter anymore.Related Link:So, I started to...
Joan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
I appreciate the fact that Karen and Jeff are very easy about monitoring the postings on this board but I have to say I did not find this post appropriate.I come to Hair Talk (where I lurk every single day) because I want to GROW my hair longer and I want to find role models like Karen, Noreen, Dawn, Cher, Laura Jane, Tamara, Jen, Jennifer and Valentine. I don't think head shaving is appropriate for this board.I really like the female bonding that happens here over growing hair and also feeling good about the whole person and not just the hair part.There are lots of boards out there that cater to head shaving and hair cutting and this board is not one of them.Should this post be censored by Karen & Jeff? I don't know. I like freedom of speech but I found this post offensive to me.Just my thoughts.Joan> Haircut!> Meet Anne, a friend of mine.> One evening, while I was out with her and> a few friends she> announced that she wanted a haircut.> I said that I have hardly had any experience> with scissors; but,> after a few pints of beer, that didn't seem> to matter anymore.>
The Hair Boutique View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hair Boutique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
> I appreciate the fact that Karen and Jeff> are very easy about monitoring the postings on> this board but I have to say I did not find this> post appropriate.> I come to Hair Talk (where I lurk every single> day) because I want to GROW my hair longer and> I want to find role models like Karen, Noreen,> Dawn, Cher, Laura Jane, Tamara, Jen, Jennifer> and Valentine. I don't think head shaving is appropriate> for this board.> I really like the female bonding that happens> here over growing hair and also feeling good about> the whole person and not just the hair part.> There are lots of boards out there that cater> to head shaving and hair cutting and this board> is not one of them.> Should this post be censored by Karen &> Jeff? I don't know. I like freedom of speech but> I found this post offensive to me.> Just my thoughts.> JoanJoan,Karen & I have been pondering all morning about whether to delete the postings from Alice. We both feel that they are questionable. There are many considerations here. We don't want to stifle discussion about legitiment hair care topics whether they be short or long hair related. Even shaving is a legitiment hair care topic, but these messages don't really attempt to discuss shaving as a option, they just seem to be baiting. So Karen & I have agreed that in the future, messages such as these will be removed from this forum. If there is enough interest in this topic then we might consider creating a separate forum for it. The last thing that Karen & I want to do is stifle free speech, but it is our jobs to keep the discussion boards focused on their respective topics.Karen & I would greatly appreciate everyone feedback on this. Are we right on track or not.Jeff.
Joan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Thanks Jeff & Karen for your response to my post. I don't think you need to add a hair cutting board talk forum.Of course that is my opinion. If I want to see bald women or women with short cuts I will go to the fetish sites.Maybe some of the other Hair Boutique visitors feel differently. Personally I want my hair to look like Karen's in Portland or at least Valentine's.I am wondering if "Alice" is not really a guy who gets turned on by just talking about shaved heads. Sort of like the people who get turned on making obscene phone calls. Or maybe Alice just likes to stir up trouble.One part of me thinks we should all just ignore these inappropriate posts. Sort of like hanging up on a phone breather without commenting because that spoils their fun.Whatever their agenda, I think the topic is not really appropriate here and I would vote to remove the post. That would be like hanging up on the phone perverts.Thanks for letting me share my thoughts. Thanks for responding and for your great forums.Joan>> Joan,> Karen & I have been pondering all morning> about whether to delete the postings from Alice.> We both feel that they are questionable. There> are many considerations here. We don't want to> stifle discussion about legitiment hair care topics> whether they be short or long hair related. Even> shaving is a legitiment hair care topic, but these> messages don't really attempt to discuss shaving> as a option, they just seem to be baiting. So> Karen & I have agreed that in the future,> messages such as these will be removed from this> forum. If there is enough interest in this topic> then we might consider creating a separate forum> for it. The last thing that Karen & I want> to do is stifle free speech, but it is our jobs> to keep the discussion boards focused on their> respective topics.> Karen & I would greatly appreciate everyone> feedback on this. Are we right on track or not.>> Jeff.
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Jeff:Greetings. After some thought, my opinion is this is just baiting..like you said. Or the person is just trying to aggrivate those here who enjoy talking about hair. Shaved heads in my opinion is no hair..so how can it be a part of hair care, etc.? Just like the post for the older woman who shaved her hair off to be more appropriate for the age bracket? I agree with Joan, if we want to view shaved heads, we can seek out that stuff on our own,, I am here for hair and a shaved head definitely has no hair.. it's more like whiskers.. ;-) Cher>> Joan,> Karen & I have been pondering all morning> about whether to delete the postings from Alice.> We both feel that they are questionable. There> are many considerations here. We don't want to> stifle discussion about legitiment hair care topics> whether they be short or long hair related. Even> shaving is a legitiment hair care topic, but these> messages don't really attempt to discuss shaving> as a option, they just seem to be baiting. So> Karen & I have agreed that in the future,> messages such as these will be removed from this> forum. If there is enough interest in this topic> then we might consider creating a separate forum> for it. The last thing that Karen & I want> to do is stifle free speech, but it is our jobs> to keep the discussion boards focused on their> respective topics.> Karen & I would greatly appreciate everyone> feedback on this. Are we right on track or not.>> Jeff.
Valentine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Thanks Joan!Valentine :o)PS - I'm not big on the shaving or cutting end of hair discussions either. I do believe that to each their own.But I stand by Jeff & Karen's decision - especially as the post was not so much a question or contribution as a link to someone's web site...
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Hi All!Isn't it sad that a few people can come in and cause so much fuss and try to ruin something that we all enjoy so much? But they can only do that if we let them. I would hate to see this board become "moderated" as Frank has seen fit to do. I am not finding fault with Frank. He has to do what he feels is necessary. I would just hate to see that happen here. I think it is important for everyone to be able to express themselves without being censored, but in this case, maybe that is best. I have many friends that are into head shaving and to them that is a type of hair style/care. They are not trouble makers, but people that have a different point of view. In this case however, I think it was done to stir up trouble here. It might be good to have a place for people that truly want to discuss the shaved option. But again, I don't think that will stop people, who's only intent is to try to stir things up. It will only give the nice and honest head shavers a place to talk about what they like. I trust Karen and Jeff to decide when something is inappropriate and to deal with it however they see fit. As for me I will just ignore anything that is not what I consider worth reading or responding to. And hopefully by ignoring those types of posts we can discourage others from posting inappropriate messages. Anyway, that's my two cents. Take care...:-)Noreen>> Joan,> Karen & I have been pondering all morning> about whether to delete the postings from Alice.> We both feel that they are questionable. There> are many considerations here. We don't want to> stifle discussion about legitiment hair care topics> whether they be short or long hair related. Even> shaving is a legitiment hair care topic, but these> messages don't really attempt to discuss shaving> as a option, they just seem to be baiting. So> Karen & I have agreed that in the future,> messages such as these will be removed from this> forum. If there is enough interest in this topic> then we might consider creating a separate forum> for it. The last thing that Karen & I want> to do is stifle free speech, but it is our jobs> to keep the discussion boards focused on their> respective topics.> Karen & I would greatly appreciate everyone> feedback on this. Are we right on track or not.>> Jeff.
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
I'm pretty much with Noreen, Cher, and Joan on this one. These messages do seem more like baiting and less like legitimate discussion. I feel pretty strongly about free speech, but that doesn't mean allowing rudeness. The point of free speech is to promote true, open discussion, and posts such as these do nothing for true discussion!If someone had posted a serious message stating his or her opinion that older women look better with short hair, I wouldn't have objected to it. I would have disagreed, but I wouldn't have thought it inappropriate. Even a story about a haircut can be amusing - and I really appreciate people sharing their cautionary tales about bad haircut experiences, in the hopes of helping everyone else avoid them. Super-short hair, while not my style of choice, is an option, and people who enjoy it are certainly free to discuss it - I can imagine someone seriously posting a concern about problems with one part sticking up and another lying flat, and an honest question like that would be fine in my opinion.However, I don't think that these posts have been fulfilling the purpose of free speech. I wouldn't object to having them removed. I myself plan to ignore such posts - why let a loser like that ruin our fun?I know this isn't the only board that has had problems lately, and I really think it's sad that someone out there is so unhappy that he or she can't stand to see other people enjoying themselves and trying to help others. I've really appreciated the sense of community here, and the support I see people giving each other, and I'd hate to see something this childish spoil it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic