Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy worst fear has been realized! (long)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My worst fear has been realized! (long)
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Dear Friends,Today has with a doubt been the worst day of my life. After missing my usual trim on the 25th (new moon), I decided to get a trim and try out a new "long hair stylist" in the area. I should have known better...I showed up at the appointed time and proceeded to explain to the stylist that I only wanted the customary 1/16" off the tips of my hair. I made a point to explain that I had been growing my long hair for years and that under no circumstances was it to be cut more than the 1/16". The stylist (who shall rename nameless at this point due to possible legal action) seemed to smirk, but I wrote it off as an overactive imagination. After all, she came highly recommended.After taking my hair out of the loose bun I had worn into the shop, she proceeded to brush it out. She commented several times on the color, length, and thickness. After brushing it out, she draped it over the back of the chair and began cutting what I though was going to be a maximum of 1/16 of an inch. I should mention that I could not see the ends of my hair, only down as far my shoulders due to the placement of the mirror and the length of my hair. Also, since my hair was draped over the back of the chair I could not feel the weight of my hair or any tugging.The stylist was crouched down and out of sight as well for the duration of the trim, which took approximately 30-45 seconds. After she stood up, she said something like "this suits you better I think" and turned my chair around to better face the mirror. I could not believe my eyes! My once waist-length hair had been chopped off to my shoulders. I felt as though I was going to have a heart attack right there in the chair - I started gasping for breath and my hands flew up as if to protect the hair that was no longer there. I started screaming obscenities at her (highly unusual for those who know me) and ran out of the shop. I don't even remember the trip back home, I was certainly in no condition to drive.If only this was a dream, but reality has slowly sunk in. My long, blonde hair which was once just below my waist is now a short blunt cut to just below my shoulders. The cut is not even; I can only assume due to the haste with which the stylist was cutting my hair. Before the day is over I may go to another stylist yet again to try to even out the cut. By the looks of it this will take it to above my shoulders - for the first time in many, many years.Please, please let this be a warning to you all. Know your stylist and don't take any chances! My one indiscretion has destroyed years of work, and for nothing.At this stage, it is uncertain if I will continue to run the Hair Boutique site. It is just too painful, as I'm sure many of you will understand.
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Dear Karen,Wow!! I can't believe it!! What was that person THINKING? Words can't really describe how I felt when I read your post, just disbelief!! I am really sorry to hear that this happened to you.Sincerely, CLare> Dear Friends,> Today has with a doubt been the worst day> of my life. After missing my usual trim on the> 25th (new moon), I decided to get a trim and try> out a new "long hair stylist" in the> area. I should have known better...> I showed up at the appointed time and proceeded> to explain to the stylist that I only wanted the> customary 1/16" off the tips of my hair.> I made a point to explain that I had been growing> my long hair for years and that under no circumstances> was it to be cut more than the 1/16". The> stylist (who shall rename nameless at this point> due to possible legal action) seemed to smirk,> but I wrote it off as an overactive imagination.> After all, she came highly recommended.> After taking my hair out of the loose bun> I had worn into the shop, she proceeded to brush> it out. She commented several times on the color,> length, and thickness. After brushing it out,> she draped it over the back of the chair and began> cutting what I though was going to be a maximum> of 1/16 of an inch. I should mention that I could> not see the ends of my hair, only down as far> my shoulders due to the placement of the mirror> and the length of my hair. Also, since my hair> was draped over the back of the chair I could> not feel the weight of my hair or any tugging.>> The stylist was crouched down and out of> sight as well for the duration of the trim, which> took approximately 30-45 seconds. After she stood> up, she said something like "this suits you> better I think" and turned my chair around> to better face the mirror. I could not believe> my eyes! My once waist-length hair had been chopped> off to my shoulders. I felt as though I was going> to have a heart attack right there in the chair> - I started gasping for breath and my hands flew> up as if to protect the hair that was no longer> there. I started screaming obscenities at her> (highly unusual for those who know me) and ran> out of the shop. I don't even remember the trip> back home, I was certainly in no condition to> drive.> If only this was a dream, but reality has> slowly sunk in. My long, blonde hair which was> once just below my waist is now a short blunt> cut to just below my shoulders. The cut is not> even; I can only assume due to the haste with> which the stylist was cutting my hair. Before> the day is over I may go to another stylist yet> again to try to even out the cut. By the looks> of it this will take it to above my shoulders> - for the first time in many, many years.> Please, please let this be a warning to you> all. Know your stylist and don't take any chances!> My one indiscretion has destroyed years of work,> and for nothing.> At this stage, it is uncertain if I will> continue to run the Hair Boutique site. It is> just too painful, as I'm sure many of you will> understand.>
Clare
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
> Dear Karen,> Wow!! I can't believe it!! What was that> person THINKING? Words can't really describe how> I felt when I read your post, just disbelief!!> I am really sorry to hear that this happened to> you.> Sincerely, CLareClare,Thank you for your concern. I am still in shock, knowing that this has happened to me. I have no idea what the stylist was thinking, perhaps she was envious I don't know. I suppose that I should have stayed and spoken with her rather than running out as I did, but my emotions took over. I do have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow morning, who has advised me not to have anything more done to my hair until photos are taken at her office as evidence. So for now I must walk around like this as a constant reminder of how my hair was butchered.
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
This post by "Karen" is a hoax. The person who posted this is using my email address and my name...but it is not from me...Karen Shelton.Please disregard it.Jeff and I have traced the IP address of the sender and we will be taking the appropriate actions.Sorry if this upset anyone needlessly.Regards,Karen Shelton Webmaster> Dear Friends,> Today has with a doubt been the worst day> of my life. After missing my usual trim on the> 25th (new moon), I decided to get a trim and try> out a new "long hair stylist" in the> area. I should have known better...> I showed up at the appointed time and proceeded> to explain to the stylist that I only wanted the> customary 1/16" off the tips of my hair.> I made a point to explain that I had been growing> my long hair for years and that under no circumstances> was it to be cut more than the 1/16". The> stylist (who shall rename nameless at this point> due to possible legal action) seemed to smirk,> but I wrote it off as an overactive imagination.> After all, she came highly recommended.> After taking my hair out of the loose bun> I had worn into the shop, she proceeded to brush> it out. She commented several times on the color,> length, and thickness. After brushing it out,> she draped it over the back of the chair and began> cutting what I though was going to be a maximum> of 1/16 of an inch. I should mention that I could> not see the ends of my hair, only down as far> my shoulders due to the placement of the mirror> and the length of my hair. Also, since my hair> was draped over the back of the chair I could> not feel the weight of my hair or any tugging.>> The stylist was crouched down and out of> sight as well for the duration of the trim, which> took approximately 30-45 seconds. After she stood> up, she said something like "this suits you> better I think" and turned my chair around> to better face the mirror. I could not believe> my eyes! My once waist-length hair had been chopped> off to my shoulders. I felt as though I was going> to have a heart attack right there in the chair> - I started gasping for breath and my hands flew> up as if to protect the hair that was no longer> there. I started screaming obscenities at her> (highly unusual for those who know me) and ran> out of the shop. I don't even remember the trip> back home, I was certainly in no condition to> drive.> If only this was a dream, but reality has> slowly sunk in. My long, blonde hair which was> once just below my waist is now a short blunt> cut to just below my shoulders. The cut is not> even; I can only assume due to the haste with> which the stylist was cutting my hair. Before> the day is over I may go to another stylist yet> again to try to even out the cut. By the looks> of it this will take it to above my shoulders> - for the first time in many, many years.> Please, please let this be a warning to you> all. Know your stylist and don't take any chances!> My one indiscretion has destroyed years of work,> and for nothing.> At this stage, it is uncertain if I will> continue to run the Hair Boutique site. It is> just too painful, as I'm sure many of you will> understand.>
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Thanks for the update. Having read many of your previous posts, I found it very difficult to believe. I was getting ready to fire off an email for confirmation. I hope they are not reading your email and then deleting it before you get a chance to read it. Ironically, their reference to legal action could come back to haunt them.> This post by "Karen" is a hoax.> The person who posted this is using my email address> and my name...but it is not from me...Karen Shelton.>> Please disregard it.> Jeff and I have traced the IP address of> the sender and we will be taking the appropriate> actions.> Sorry if this upset anyone needlessly.> Regards,> Karen Shelton Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Hi Victor...Well the problem is that they are using my email address in the posting. Jeff and I have located the IP address where the post came from and there are several things we are going to do about this.Ironically Jeff is the first one who read the post and he called me on the phone and said...hey this doesn't sound anything like you....what's the deal.Have you had this stuff on your board Victor and what do you do? I know Frank has various problems from time to time and he takes down the whole board. I would hate to do that. I guess I could delete all the fake Karen messages since I am the sysadmin and can do that at any time. I hate to do that either.Karen SheltonPS. Did you hear anything more about the big hair ball?> Thanks for the update. Having read many of> your previous posts, I found it very difficult> to believe. I was getting ready to fire off an> email for confirmation. I hope they are not reading> your email and then deleting it before you get> a chance to read it. Ironically, their reference> to legal action could come back to haunt them.>
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:34am
Hi Karen,I am so sorry that this fake would target someone as nice and helpful as you are. It amazes me how some people get their jollies. I just want you to know that I knew that there was no way that you could have written that. First off, it's not your style of writing. Even taking into consideration the idea that you might have been quite upset when writing it, it just didn't sound like you. Next, I know that you are much to careful to trust your hair to someone so carelessly. If the stylist smirked when you told them what you wanted, giant alarms would have gone off in your head. No matter how highly they might have been recommended, you would have left immediately. You also would have insisted that you be able to see what they were doing. And if some derranged stylist ever did do that to you, you would not have just left without saying anything. You are much too smart and educated about salons to ever act like this fake Karen acted. I hope you find out who did this and can make them truly wish that they had never decided to take you on. Good luck and don't let them get the better of you. Take Care!!!!!Noreen> Hi Victor...> Well the problem is that they are using my> email address in the posting. Jeff and I have> located the IP address where the post came from> and there are several things we are going to do> about this.> Ironically Jeff is the first one who read> the post and he called me on the phone and said...hey> this doesn't sound anything like you....what's> the deal.> Have you had this stuff on your board Victor> and what do you do? I know Frank has various problems> from time to time and he takes down the whole> board. I would hate to do that. I guess I could> delete all the fake Karen messages since I am> the sysadmin and can do that at any time. I hate> to do that either.> Karen Shelton> PS. Did you hear anything more about the> big hair ball?
Dave T. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:35am
Clare, I do feel for you. I am so sorry to hear about your mistfortune. I have heard this story close to 100 times now. Only your has a different spin as you are brave enough to sue. I think that this is the best thing that you can do now. The hair is considered a part of the body in most states, and you stand a very good chance of winning this case.I am so tried of hearing about these stylist doing what they want instead of what you ask. It is good that you sue, if enough lawsuits are filed against stylist and salons. Insurance companies will begin to lose money. Once insurance companies begin to lose money they start to make new guidelines and even have laws past to protect themselves from further loses.I have been emailing another lady in the last week with your same situation. I advised her to sue also, and she has filed a lawsuit too.Please let me know if you would like her email address. I will send it to you. You two are probably the only ones that can really understand what the other is going through. You could also exchange court strategy. I will let het know of your mishap.Best of luck with your case. If there is anything that I can do please let me know.Dave TichenorThe International Long Hair ClubTILHC@longhair.org>> Clare,> Thank you for your concern. I am still in> shock, knowing that this has happened to me. I> have no idea what the stylist was thinking, perhaps> she was envious I don't know. I suppose that I> should have stayed and spoken with her rather> than running out as I did, but my emotions took> over. I do have an appointment with an attorney> tomorrow morning, who has advised me not to have> anything more done to my hair until photos are> taken at her office as evidence. So for now I> must walk around like this as a constant reminder> of how my hair was butchered.>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:35am
Hi Dave,Please note that the original message from Karen who cut her hair...was a big hoax. Someone was trying to impersonate me and even used my email address. It was not me. I still have all of my hair intact.So no one had a horrible hair cut incident. At least I didn't (the real Karen Shelton) and neither did Clare. She was being supportive because she thought the post was sincere.Thanks for your concern Dave but I just thought you would like to know that this was from a "fake".Regards,Karen Shelton (The real one)> Clare, I do feel for you. I am so sorry to> hear about your mistfortune. I have heard this> story close to 100 times now. Only your has a> different spin as you are brave enough to sue.> I think that this is the best thing that you can> do now. The hair is considered a part of the body> in most states, and you stand a very good chance> of winning this case.> I am so tried of hearing about these stylist> doing what they want instead of what you ask.> It is good that you sue, if enough lawsuits are> filed against stylist and salons. Insurance companies> will begin to lose money. Once insurance companies> begin to lose money they start to make new guidelines> and even have laws past to protect themselves> from further loses.> I have been emailing another lady in the> last week with your same situation. I advised> her to sue also, and she has filed a lawsuit too.>> Please let me know if you would like her> email address. I will send it to you. You two> are probably the only ones that can really understand> what the other is going through. You could also> exchange court strategy. I will let het know of> your mishap.> Best of luck with your case. If there is> anything that I can do please let me know.> Dave Tichenor> The International Long Hair Club> TILHC@longhair.org
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:35am
Hi Noreen,It is always so great to see your posts on Hair Talk. Even if it is about this Karen imposter. :-)It was funny, Jeff saw the fake Karen post first. He called me on the phone and said, hey I saw you at lunch and you still had all of your hair. So I guess someone is faking you on Hair Talk. Then he said that the post didn't sound anything like me so he was sure it was a hoax.The funny thing is that you are right Noreen, if I went to a new long hair expert, I would take a legal waiver form with me (which I have always done) which basically says that if they cut more that I have asked or do damage to my hair they will be liable for large sums of money.If they don't sign it...I walk. It is really a pretty neat idea that I actually got from a beautiful long haired model here in Dallas. She had gone to have her hair trimmed and the stylist cut it a lot shorter than she asked. Well you can't glue hair back on.So she saw a lawyer and actually got a small settlement because it affected her ability to get certain photographic shots till her hair grew out.Anyway...her lawyer prepared this one page beauty services legal paper and she uses it all the time to protect her hair and skin and nails. I have a copy of her legal disclaimer and I have actually used it when I switched hair stylists in the past.So the "fake Karen" obviously did not know that about me. Nor did fake Karen know that I would never go to a new long hair stylist the first time alone. I would take a friend who would watch to see what they were doing just in case I couldn't see.Of course having signed a legal contract where I could own their shop if they didn't cut my hair the way I asked is a big incentive not to mess with my hair. :-)Yes...it is strange what some people will do to get their jollies. In response to your comment about dealing with them....Jeff and I have several options. We are looking into ways to safeguard this board so that it is still a great place to visit and post. That is the primary concern.Thanks for all your support...all the time.Karen Shelton> Hi Karen,> I am so sorry that this fake would target> someone as nice and helpful as you are. It amazes> me how some people get their jollies. I just want> you to know that I knew that there was no way> that you could have written that. First off, it's> not your style of writing. Even taking into consideration> the idea that you might have been quite upset> when writing it, it just didn't sound like you.> Next, I know that you are much to careful to trust> your hair to someone so carelessly. If the stylist> smirked when you told them what you wanted, giant> alarms would have gone off in your head. No matter> how highly they might have been recommended, you> would have left immediately. You also would have> insisted that you be able to see what they were> doing. And if some derranged stylist ever did> do that to you, you would not have just left without> saying anything. You are much too smart and educated> about salons to ever act like this fake Karen> acted. I hope you find out who did this and can> make them truly wish that they had never decided> to take you on. Good luck and don't let them get> the better of you. Take Care!!!!!> Noreen
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:35am
The people who converse on the Boutique Hair Talk Discussion Board are always kind, thoughtful, and helpful. It really is a special group.But occasionally, someone will stumble in from "the dark side" ;) and be a party pooper.It's my understanding that the imposter, Jill, is a female ex-con living in or near a halfway house in the vicinity of Pottsville, Pa. It's also my understanding that she "recruits" new ex-cons at the halfway house for her "Bald Women Admirer's Society" with what comes close to forced haircuts through intimidation, etc.It's also my recollection that last year, Jill (and perhaps several others) caused such a ruckus on several other hair boards that their webmasters were up in arms over what to do. To put it politely, Jill was not well received by ANYBODY -- by the webmasters nor any of those sites' visitors.Not being a professional psychologist, I cannot render creditable judgment... but IMHO, Jill strugles with issues of domination and control, and is in desperate need of professional counseling. Perhaps she dislikes the fact that some people actually LIKE their hair, and targets it for removal as a means of bringing down or controlling others? Sad, really.While I do not appreciate seeing her posts, as they age (and they won't age gracefully), they will serve as a stark reminder of the sadly misfortunate state of her mind.Although freedom of speech is a right granted by the United States Constitution, it is an ideal to which we strive, not an all-inclusive guarantee. Shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater is not a lawful exercise of free speech. She may have the right to espouse her ideas... but at whose expense? Certainly the Hair Boutique or anybody else who puts effort into providing a forum is not obliged to permit their resources to be used in any manner deemed to be inappropriate. If such access is permitted, it is done as a courtesy for which they should be grateful to the providers of the forum. Somehow I don't suspect that Jill possesses such appreciation.Dave
David M Squires
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:35am
Well, hey, I did not know it was not Karen because I read the message in a hurry just as I was leaving at 5pm, and I don't really think about whether or not the real person is writing. I just assumed it was real.
Clare
Admin Group
Admin Group

Hi Clare,I am so sorry you got caught in the hoax with the fake Karen. Jeff saw it before I did, but it was probably out on the board 1 hour or so before we caught it. I apologize that you were also a victim of sorts. You have always been so supportive, it was just like you to send such a kind and supportive response.Please don't let this weirdness deter you from your normal posting. I for one always enjoy what you have to share.Thanks so much for your support.Karen Shelton> Well, hey, I did not know it was not Karen> because I read the message in a hurry just as> I was leaving at 5pm, and I don't really think> about whether or not the real person is writing.> I just assumed it was real.
Susan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:35am
My story is real. In fact, I wrote to Dave about two weeks ago regarding what happened to me. I know I was a true victim in this scenario as I have used this particular hair stylist for 14 years. I requested she take about two inches taken off the back of my very long straight, healthy, beautiful, blonde hair with a slight "long" angle on the sides. This sylist has known how fussy I am about my hair as I have lashed out her in the past for taking an inch off when I've asked for a quarter inch. In any event, she went ballistic. Within about five seconds the damage was done as she took the first chunk off of the back. She then started layering the sides. I was sitting in the chair screaming at her NO LAYERs and she said "Just this long one." Long my foot. She put about three layers in with the shortest one about six inches from the bottom.I was so distraught about this incident. Here is a person I have known and trusted for so long. How could she do this? (She too has long hair) Then she had the nerve to say this is the cut I asked for. She must be on another planet. I would never ask for such a thing. In fact, everyone who has seen it is shocked that I did it, knowing how sensitive I am about my hair.Anyway, this hair style is a nightmare to take care of. That is another thing, she knows I have no hair talent and like "no frills hair. So instead, it takes about one hour to style it with gels and brushes. Remember, straight layered hair is horrible. I went to a very exclusive salon in Chevy Chase, Maryland to some get some other professionals their opinions and after they laughed (not in a mean way, but in shock) they asked me how long she has been cutting hair, agreeing that the style is not a good one for me. They gave me two options - 1. Have the hair cut up to the shortest layer. or 2. Wait for it to grow out.I have given her two opportunities to apologize. Once over the phone and last week face to face. She stared right in my face, insisted the hair is still long and is not layered. My two year old could tell you that it is a bold faced lie. So, I am suing her. In fact, I filed the papers yesterday. I sued her and the salon.At first I thought the people at the courthouse would think I was crazy, but they told me stylists get sued all the time for bad cuts, color and perm jobs. I was told I should get a court date in one to two months. I am so glad I am taking this action and will keep Dave and all of your informed. The clerk at the court asked if I had any before pictures and I do. True, winning the case won't bring my hair back, but it will prove a point
Valentine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:35am
Hi Karen,I am so sorry to read about the fiasco that this imposter has caused. That is one of the pitfalls of maintaining a good site - once in a great while someone feels the need to try to ruin or cheapen things for everyone else.I had a problem, though not as extreme as this case, with my guestbook and felt forced to turn to mild moderation with the entries. I dislike feeing that I need to moderate anything. However, like someone wise mentioned in this message board, that does not give people the right to falsify information about someone or slander.I back you 100% on whatever you choose to do -- you and Jeff are the ones who will be working very hard on this site and the decision should be yours. Either way, I'll keep on coming back no matter what. A few disreputable comments are not going to spoil it for me. I'm sure most people feel that way as well.All my best to you,Valentine :o)
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:35am
Sorry to take so long to reply. I haven't had a problem like this so far. However, I have had other similar problems. If the post is blatantly offensive, I remove it, usually before anybody has had a chance to reply to it. Otherwise, I leave it there unless I get complaints. If an email address is included in the post, I always explain to the poster what (s)he did wrong to deserve the post being removed.> Hi Victor...> Well the problem is that they are using my> email address in the posting. Jeff and I have> located the IP address where the post came from> and there are several things we are going to do> about this.> Ironically Jeff is the first one who read> the post and he called me on the phone and said...hey> this doesn't sound anything like you....what's> the deal.> Have you had this stuff on your board Victor> and what do you do? I know Frank has various problems> from time to time and he takes down the whole> board. I would hate to do that. I guess I could> delete all the fake Karen messages since I am> the sysadmin and can do that at any time. I hate> to do that either.> Karen Shelton> PS. Did you hear anything more about the> big hair ball?
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:35am
Gee "Fake Karen", this story sounds v-e-r-y familiar.Did you by chance lift it and insert the real Karen's name? I have an excellent memory and I definitely remember reading the EXACT SAME STORY (but with another woman's name) on one of those "hair fetish" sites.jm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Hi Victor,I have actually seen you post a comment to someone on your Men's Board about it not being a Personals forum and that you would remove inappropriate posts like that.Jeff and I have decided to remove any posts that are not directly related to talk about hair. Personal agendas, personal histories that are not the majority related to hair and other inappropriate topics will be removed as soon as we see them.As I know you totally understand (because you do the same thing) Jeff and I work on this board 7 days a week. We operate in the red and spend our own money for prizes and other promotions. This is our site, and we want it to be safe and friendly for everyone who has a sincere interest in talking about hair.I hate to ever delete any messages, but I have to think for the majority of the visitors and what they want to see on this board.After all this is why we created the Personals column. Because a lot of times people wanted to post personals stuff in Hair Talk.It is not always easy keeping things simple.KarenThanks for you ongoing support Victor.Hope your new board is going well for you.Take care.Karen> Sorry to take so long to reply. I haven't> had a problem like this so far. However, I have> had other similar problems. If the post is blatantly> offensive, I remove it, usually before anybody> has had a chance to reply to it. Otherwise, I> leave it there unless I get complaints. If an> email address is included in the post, I always> explain to the poster what (s)he did wrong to> deserve the post being removed.
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:35am
Don't let nonsense like this stop you from posting! Your response only makes you look like a nice, supportive person. Any bad reflection from the post is only on the person who made it in the first place.Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Admin Group
Admin Group

Hi,I am so sorry to hear about this but I am so glad you are taking legal action. I have heard so many stories similar to yours as I mentioned in a previous post.I always take a legal contract form with me if I go to a new hair stylist and I make them sign it before they touch my hair. They know up front that I will sue them if they don't do what I ask. After all..it is my hair. I have spent a fortune getting it healthy. The stylist works for me...I am paying them, they are not paying me.I posted a story about my wandering through a hair show when Jeff and I were in Portland recntly and how I saw a hair model who had just had her long hair cut off very short. As I walked by she looked really distraught at my hair. The other stylists...all with very short hair...were telling her that the short hair made her look " so much more mature" than long hair. They were all looking at me when they loudly told her that long hair is less attractive.It is a conspiracy. Think about it. A friend of mine wears her hair in a short bob. She has to be back at the salon every 3-4 weeks for a fresh cut. I go every 8-10 weeks for a slight trim. I pay less for my trims than she does for her full cut and I go 5-6 times a year and she goes 12-15 times a year.Now if you were a stylist...how would you want to cut your client's hair???? Short of course.Why?That is where the money is. My short haired friend pays double what I do every year for cuts. She can't get trims because her style is high maintenance. She also spends more than I do on hair care products because she uses a lot more hair spray, styling gel, hair spray and styling tools.She has to use a blow dryer and a curling iron or hot rollers. I have had the same blow dryer for 8 years and it will probably last forever. I blow dry my hair about 6 times a year. I never use hot curlers, styling wands or any tools (except when I am testing them for Hair Boutique)My long hair stylist explained this to me in great detail. To supplement his less frequent long hair visitors he offers massages, facials, manicures and pedicures and makeup consultations at his salon. He understands that long hair is much less profitable than short hair.Makes a lot of sense to me.It also explains why you got victimized at the salon. If there is anything I can do to help, please email me and let me know. I can only imagine how terrible this would be.Good luck.Karen Shelton>> My story is real. In fact, I wrote to Dave> about two weeks ago regarding what happened to> me. I know I was a true victim in this scenario> as I have used this particular hair stylist for> 14 years. I requested she take about two inches> taken off the back of my very long straight, healthy,> beautiful, blonde hair with a slight "long"> angle on the sides. This sylist has known how> fussy I am about my hair as I have lashed out> her in the past for taking an inch off when I've> asked for a quarter inch. In any event, she went> ballistic. Within about five seconds the damage> was done as she took the first chunk off of the> back. She then started layering the sides. I was> sitting in the chair screaming at her NO LAYERs> and she said "Just this long one." Long> my foot. She put about three layers in with the> shortest one about six inches from the bottom.>> I was so distraught about this incident.> Here is a person I have known and trusted for> so long. How could she do this? (She too has long> hair) Then she had the nerve to say this is the> cut I asked for. She must be on another planet.> I would never ask for such a thing. In fact, everyone> who has seen it is shocked that I did it, knowing> how sensitive I am about my hair.> Anyway, this hair style is a nightmare to> take care of. That is another thing, she knows> I have no hair talent and like "no frills> hair. So instead, it takes about one hour to style> it with gels and brushes. Remember, straight layered> hair is horrible. I went to a very exclusive salon> in Chevy Chase, Maryland to some get some other> professionals their opinions and after they laughed> (not in a mean way, but in shock) they asked me> how long she has been cutting hair, agreeing that> the style is not a good one for me. They gave> me two options - 1. Have the hair cut up to the> shortest layer. or 2. Wait for it to grow out.>> I have given her two opportunities to apologize.> Once over the phone and last week face to face.> She stared right in my face, insisted the hair> is still long and is not layered. My two year> old could tell you that it is a bold faced lie.> So, I am suing her. In fact, I filed the papers> yesterday. I sued her and the salon.> At first I thought the people at the courthouse> would think I was crazy, but they told me stylists> get sued all the time for bad cuts, color and> perm jobs. I was told I should get a court date> in one to two months. I am so glad I am taking> this action and will keep Dave and all of your> informed. The clerk at the court asked if I had> any before pictures and I do. True, winning the> case won't bring my hair back, but it will prove> a point
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic