Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - lots of stuff-hair triumphs and woes-nucleic A-fine hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedlots of stuff-hair triumphs and woes-nucleic A-fine hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lots of stuff-hair triumphs and woes-nucleic A-fine hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
I went to have a trim a couple of days ago and took 1/2" off the ends. My ends have been a mess. My hair is about bra strap length, so I figure that the hair on the ends is still hair that was not being treated as well as it could have been before I found this sight. Currently, I have been getting trims about every 3 months, plus trimming splits in-between. What bums me out is that the stylist said that she could see splits that had traveled up the hair shaft on the back of my head. Well, my strategy, at her suggestion, is to get 1/2" off in 6 weeks, and then an additional 1/2" off in 6 more weeks, hopefully getting rid of the more fragile hair. Then I will get back on a three month schedule. Addressing those of you who have fine hair out there, do you think that is often enough to have a trim. How do you deal with the fragility of fine hair?I ordered the Ouidad sample set and I will let people know what I think of the products. I am hoping it can help deal with the frizziness that the traveled splits seems to cause. Also, my hair seems porous, and I hope it will help with that.My stylist tried some products on me that I liked. I got to try the Aveda Beautifying oil (she massaged some in before my shampoo.) Then, afterwards she used styling curresence, and somthing in a blue bottle called brilliance humectant. They made my hair look a lot smoother. Also,I bought some Aveda skin care, the purifying cleanser. I like it a lot.I mentioned Nucleic A on the annoucement board, and it is a moderately priced line that, although not plant based like Aveda is, I have had some good results with. Specifically, their NU-PAK deep conditioner has been really good for my hair; it softens it up quite a bit. Also, I have like the NRG reconstructer.Speaking of people cutting their as they get older, for me growing my hair long is about growing up because I am finally doing something that people around me said I shouldn't do, because it would look to terrible.I aspire to have hair like Heather's in the gallery. Its about the same color as mine, and I do not know if it is fine, but its about the lenght I would like too. I love Karen's hair too, although I do not know if it is realistic for me to aspire to having hair like Karen's because of the blond color and its thickness.Well, I guess I have rambled on enough. Thanks for listening.CLare
Clare
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
> I went to have a trim a couple of days ago> and took 1/2" off the ends. My ends have> been a mess. My hair is about bra strap length,> so I figure that the hair on the ends is still> hair that was not being treated as well as it> could have been before I found this sight. Currently,> I have been getting trims about every 3 months,> plus trimming splits in-between. What bums me> out is that the stylist said that she could see> splits that had traveled up the hair shaft on> the back of my head. Well, my strategy, at her> suggestion, is to get 1/2" off in 6 weeks,> and then an additional 1/2" off in 6 more> weeks, hopefully getting rid of the more fragile> hair. Then I will get back on a three month schedule.> Addressing those of you who have fine hair out> there, do you think that is often enough to have> a trim. How do you deal with the fragility of> fine hair?There's a very simple technique for dealing with splits along the length of your hair without trimming a lot off the ends. Take a small segment of dry hair, and twist it until it forms a rope... this will make all the little split bits stick out from the "rope", just trim those off and the splits along the length of your hair are gone. If you have a LOT of splits this may thin out your hair near the bottom and so you may want to follow your schedule to get it even, but if just do 1/2 inch now, 1/2 inch in 6 weeks you're just trimming an inch off your hair without addressing any of the splits above that bottom inch.There's someone on the mailing list for Franks TLHS that has more exact directions on how to do it. I forget who though... I can ask.> My stylist tried some products on me that> I liked. I got to try the Aveda Beautifying oil> (she massaged some in before my shampoo.) Then,> afterwards she used styling curresence, and somthing> in a blue bottle called brilliance humectant.> They made my hair look a lot smoother. Also,I> bought some Aveda skin care, the purifying cleanser.> I like it a lot.The brillance humectant pomade is the BOMB! I LOVE that stuff. Right now it's the only styling product that touches my hair. It makes it really soft and smooth.-jj
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:40am
> Addressing those of you who have fine hair out> there, do you think that is often enough to have> a trim. How do you deal with the fragility of> fine hair?Hey Clare! I can't help you with the trim part since I just don't trim mine at all, it grows WAY too slowly and 1/2 inch trims every 12 weeks would pretty much completely negate any growth in my case but I sure do know about super fine hair and the way that I deal with mine is to condition, condition, condition. I love all things herbal and have been trying some of the home remedies Karen and others on the list have recommended and they are great! A little lite olive and jojoba oil mixed with an egg and some jasmine or lavender essential oil is my favorite but I plan to keep experimenting. I want to try Aveda but for now am hooked on a new jojoba conditioner that really makes my hair soft. With twenty year old ends, conditioner is truly the key to keeping it healthy. I think it was Karen who said treat your hair like fine old lace and it will always look and feel its best. That's a good analogy. And as Jennifer mentioned, try just trimming the splits instead of the ends you'll get more length out of it that way.>... something> that people around me said I shouldn't do, because> it would look to terrible.Don't listen to this Clare! Baby fine hair actually looks better when its long, it has much more substance and you can do a whole lot more with it. Mine was hideous short, limp and lifeless but long it is a joy, lots more body and volume and never a bad hair day!> I love Karen's hair too,> although I do not know if it is realistic for> me to aspire to having hair like Karen's because> of the blond color and its thickness.Its not realistic for anyone to aspire to hair like that! Oh how I envy that ponytail! Soooo thick! But we all have to deal with what nature gave us and whatever thickness, texture or shade it's all beautiful in its natural state.Good luck growing those locks!Very best wishes to all,Dawn
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:40am
Hi All,I had some time today and so I dug out my old Pivot Point Book that I got from George Michael. In the back of the book he has some techniques on hair care. One of those techniques is on trimming slit ends. He basically says the same thing that JJ said, but I will add it here for all to read. There are photos showing the technique, but the description seems to be adequate enough.1. Twist narrow narrow strands of hair, then snip off the split ends along the strand. (In the picture, the strand when twisted seems to be about 1/4 inch and it's not twisted tightly). 2. Twist until damaged ends appear. 3. Hold your scissors parallel to the strand. 4. Avoid removing length by holding the strand against the crown. I guess that's a good idea. One twitch and you could permanently remove that strand. 5. Continue to move down the strand in small sections.Well that's all it says. From there he goes into trimming and brushing techniques. This book is really about hairstyles for long hair and has some great braids, rolls, padding, weaves, and rope designs. Some of them are quite outlandish, but he uses a lot of hair ornaments, and that is very interesting. It's called the Systematic Approach to Long Hair Graphics. If anyone is interested and Karen doesn't have this book, I will be more than happy to get a copied version to her so she can see if anything is worth posting....Take care...Noreen>> There's a very simple technique for dealing> with splits along the length of your hair without> trimming a lot off the ends. Take a small segment> of dry hair, and twist it until it forms a rope...> this will make all the little split bits stick> out from the "rope", just trim those> off and the splits along the length of your hair> are gone. If you have a LOT of splits this may> thin out your hair near the bottom and so you> may want to follow your schedule to get it even,> but if just do 1/2 inch now, 1/2 inch in 6 weeks> you're just trimming an inch off your hair without> addressing any of the splits above that bottom> inch.> There's someone on the mailing list for Franks> TLHS that has more exact directions on how to> do it. I forget who though... I can ask.> The brillance humectant pomade is the BOMB!> I LOVE that stuff. Right now it's the only styling> product that touches my hair. It makes it really> soft and smooth.> -jj
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic