Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI NEED DRY HAIR HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Christy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I NEED DRY HAIR HELP
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:42am
Hi, my hair has been colored several times, and the last 4 inches or so are VERY dry. They don't look bad everyday, but they do quite often. My hair is to my mid-back, and I promised my fiance that I would grow it to my waist by our wedding which is a little over a year away. So obviously I can't cut off 4 inches!! Is there ANY product that anyone knows of that I could treat these dry damaged ends with? Or are my ends just dead and without hope? Someone please help....
Debra Knodel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debra Knodel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:42am
> Hi, my hair has been colored several times,> and the last 4 inches or so are VERY dry. They> don't look bad everyday, but they do quite often.> My hair is to my mid-back, and I promised my fiance> that I would grow it to my waist by our wedding> which is a little over a year away. So obviously> I can't cut off 4 inches!! Is there ANY product> that anyone knows of that I could treat these> dry damaged ends with? Or are my ends just dead> and without hope? Someone please help....Hi Christy - I've got a bit of the same problem, although my ends aren't so bad anymore. I also don't want to cut any of my hair off, I'm starting to believe that this "cut off the dead ends" stuff is a myth.One thing I have been doing is putting jojoba oil (just the straight oil, I got it at a health food store) on my ends every night and leaving it on overnight. I think this is helping and I plan to continue doing it indefinitely. I'd like for my hair to make it to my waist in about a year too - and mine grows so slowly that it may take the whole year!Good luck! Don't cut it! Condition the heck out of it, often.Deb
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:43am
I don't color my hair, but I can offer a few suggestions, since I've had dry hair and skin my whole life.Use a very gentle shampoo, and only on your scalp. Just let the lather rinse down over the ends as you rinse it out of your hair. This will go a long way toward not making the problem worse. Use a good conditioner, too. I'm with Cher on this one - Curessence is absolutely wonderful. Try leaving it on for a while, too - half an hour, an hour, whatever.My favorite thing, though, is jojoba oil. Before I wash my hair, I massage jojoba oil with some oil of rosemary into my scalp and brush some through my hair. If I have time, I leave it on for a while; otherwise, I just wash it right away.If your ends are actually split, you really do need to cut the splits off. Otherwise, I'd suggest a tiny little trim to take off the very, very ends, and a lot of conditioning. And don't blow dry!Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Kira View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:43am
Debra is so right. Jojoba oil is like the oil from the gods for hair. I also run some jojoba oil through my hair at least once a week before bed and then sleep with it in. The hot summer days have been drying my hair out and I try to stay away from chemical products so I made my own conditioner. I mixed four egg yellows, jojoba oil, sesame oil and vitamin E. I then added some natural henna to make it thicker (the kind which doesn't colour your hair but adds shine) and a very strong sage infusion because I have really dark hair. You may want to skip the last part because henna is a bit drying and the sage is really only good for dark hair. I don't know what colour your hair is. I have used strictly the oil and egg mixture before and have received great results. If the rest of your hair is not dry you may only want to use it on your damaged ends. I applied my concoction to my hair last Sunday morning and covered it with plastic. I went outside to do some gardening for about an hour and ended up outside all day with my hair baking in the heat. When I washed it out my hair was soooo soft. I don't know if I have whole days to devote to my hair in the future, but I will use my gardening/ housework time as hair conditioning time to leave it in as long as possible.Don't cut your hair. You will probably only end up being unhappy with it cut and always wonder if there was something else you could have done. Aveda also appears to have great products, so if you don't want to venture into the kitchen maybe you should check them out.Happy growing from someone who is only at jaw length.
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:43am
> Or are my ends just dead> and without hope? Someone please help....Take heart Christy, EVERYBODY'S ends are dead, that's the nature of hair. The only living hair is the stuff coming right out of the follicle. All the rest of it is dead cells but even they can respond to proper care. Just start doing all the wonderful things people have suggested. Stop coloring, don't blowdry and condition, condition, condition. Its your choice whether you do that with commercial products or homemade ones but definitely do something. My favorite is jojoba too. That's a good starting point that is sure to help.Good luck!Best wishes to all,Dawn
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:43am
I would like to hear how you make your sage infusion, because I have lots of sage growing in my front yard and I have dark hair.Thanks, Clare> Debra is so right. Jojoba oil is like the> oil from the gods for hair. I also run some jojoba> oil through my hair at least once a week before> bed and then sleep with it in. The hot summer> days have been drying my hair out and I try to> stay away from chemical products so I made my> own conditioner. I mixed four egg yellows, jojoba> oil, sesame oil and vitamin E. I then added some> natural henna to make it thicker (the kind which> doesn't colour your hair but adds shine) and a> very strong sage infusion because I have really> dark hair. You may want to skip the last part> because henna is a bit drying and the sage is> really only good for dark hair. I don't know what> colour your hair is. I have used strictly the> oil and egg mixture before and have received great> results. If the rest of your hair is not dry you> may only want to use it on your damaged ends.> I applied my concoction to my hair last Sunday> morning and covered it with plastic. I went outside> to do some gardening for about an hour and ended> up outside all day with my hair baking in the> heat. When I washed it out my hair was soooo soft.> I don't know if I have whole days to devote to> my hair in the future, but I will use my gardening/> housework time as hair conditioning time to leave> it in as long as possible.> Don't cut your hair. You will probably only> end up being unhappy with it cut and always wonder> if there was something else you could have done.> Aveda also appears to have great products, so> if you don't want to venture into the kitchen> maybe you should check them out.> Happy growing from someone who is only at> jaw length.
Clare
Christy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:43am
Deb, Thanks for the advice. I've called a few places to find jojoba oil, but they only have jojoba conditioner (which has chemicals in it too)....but I'll keep looking. You are growing your hair to your waist too, huh? Good luck! :)Thanks a lot for the help. (cstevich@mhcc.com)>> Hi Christy - I've got a bit of the same problem,> although my ends aren't so bad anymore. I also> don't want to cut any of my hair off, I'm starting> to believe that this "cut off the dead ends"> stuff is a myth.> One thing I have been doing is putting jojoba> oil (just the straight oil, I got it at a health> food store) on my ends every night and leaving> it on overnight. I think this is helping and I> plan to continue doing it indefinitely. I'd like> for my hair to make it to my waist in about a> year too - and mine grows so slowly that it may> take the whole year!> Good luck! Don't cut it! Condition the heck> out of it, often.> Deb
Christy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:43am
Laura Jane, Thanks for the tips! I will try the jojoba oil if I can find it!!> I don't color my hair, but I can offer a> few suggestions, since I've had dry hair and skin> my whole life.> Use a very gentle shampoo, and only on your> scalp. Just let the lather rinse down over the> ends as you rinse it out of your hair. This will> go a long way toward not making the problem worse.> Use a good conditioner, too. I'm with Cher on> this one - Curessence is absolutely wonderful.> Try leaving it on for a while, too - half an hour,> an hour, whatever.> My favorite thing, though, is jojoba oil.> Before I wash my hair, I massage jojoba oil with> some oil of rosemary into my scalp and brush some> through my hair. If I have time, I leave it on> for a while; otherwise, I just wash it right away.>> If your ends are actually split, you really> do need to cut the splits off. Otherwise, I'd> suggest a tiny little trim to take off the very,> very ends, and a lot of conditioning. And don't> blow dry!> Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu>
Christy View Drop Down

Hi Kira, thanks for your message. My hair is brown naturally, but I had it highlighted with blonde for a while, then dyed it back to brown a few times. Now I want to get it highlighted (streaked) again, because I like it better that way....but I want my hair to be healthier first!I will try the jojoba oil if I can find it here. Thanks again. (cstevich@mhcc.com)> Debra is so right. Jojoba oil is like the> oil from the gods for hair. I also run some jojoba> oil through my hair at least once a week before> bed and then sleep with it in. The hot summer> days have been drying my hair out and I try to> stay away from chemical products so I made my> own conditioner. I mixed four egg yellows, jojoba> oil, sesame oil and vitamin E. I then added some> natural henna to make it thicker (the kind which> doesn't colour your hair but adds shine) and a> very strong sage infusion because I have really> dark hair. You may want to skip the last part> because henna is a bit drying and the sage is> really only good for dark hair. I don't know what> colour your hair is. I have used strictly the> oil and egg mixture before and have received great> results. If the rest of your hair is not dry you> may only want to use it on your damaged ends.> I applied my concoction to my hair last Sunday> morning and covered it with plastic. I went outside> to do some gardening for about an hour and ended> up outside all day with my hair baking in the> heat. When I washed it out my hair was soooo soft.> I don't know if I have whole days to devote to> my hair in the future, but I will use my gardening/> housework time as hair conditioning time to leave> it in as long as possible.> Don't cut your hair. You will probably only> end up being unhappy with it cut and always wonder> if there was something else you could have done.> Aveda also appears to have great products, so> if you don't want to venture into the kitchen> maybe you should check them out.> Happy growing from someone who is only at> jaw length.
Christy View Drop Down

Hi Dawn, You say "stop colouring" my hair. I want to get it highlighted again (it is brown naturally, I had it highlighted blonde for awhile, then dyed it back to brown a few times). I like it better with the highlights. Do you think it would just kill my hair?Thanks for the reply!>> Take heart Christy, EVERYBODY'S ends are> dead, that's the nature of hair. The only living> hair is the stuff coming right out of the follicle.> All the rest of it is dead cells but even they> can respond to proper care. Just start doing all> the wonderful things people have suggested. Stop> coloring, don't blowdry and condition, condition,> condition. Its your choice whether you do that> with commercial products or homemade ones but> definitely do something. My favorite is jojoba> too. That's a good starting point that is sure> to help.> Good luck!> Best wishes to all,> Dawn
Christy View Drop Down

Hi Dawn, You say "stop colouring" my hair. I want to get it highlighted again (it is brown naturally, I had it highlighted blonde for awhile, then dyed it back to brown a few times). I like it better with the highlights. Do you think it would just kill my hair? (cstevich@mhcc.com)Thanks for the reply!>> Take heart Christy, EVERYBODY'S ends are> dead, that's the nature of hair. The only living> hair is the stuff coming right out of the follicle.> All the rest of it is dead cells but even they> can respond to proper care. Just start doing all> the wonderful things people have suggested. Stop> coloring, don't blowdry and condition, condition,> condition. Its your choice whether you do that> with commercial products or homemade ones but> definitely do something. My favorite is jojoba> too. That's a good starting point that is sure> to help.> Good luck!> Best wishes to all,> Dawn
Kira View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:43am
An infusion is a strong tea. Pick the sage from your garden and cut it up. Some people just use the whole leaf, but I believe it is more potent if you cut it. I use about one cup of herbs for two cups of water. Place the herbs in a plastic or glass bowl or large measuring cup and pour the boiling water over the herbs. Let the mixture steep anywhere from 12 to 24 hours. Pour the mixture through a sieve to separate the liquid from the herb. This makes a really strong infusion. You can then either take the liquid and pour it on your dry hair and allow it to seep into your hair or you can use it as a final rinse after washing your hair for great shine and body. I like to use mine with a natural henna and some oil and egg yellows as a great conditioner. If you do that you need to heat the liquid up before adding it to the henna. You can also add rosemary which adds a dark reddish sheen to brown hair and smells wonderful. I have also just heard that adding some rosemary oil to jojoba oil is great for adding shine to dark hair. I will start trying this next week.Have fun experimenting.
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:43am
> Laura Jane, Thanks for the tips! I will try> the jojoba oil if I can find it!!Try a natural foods store. Look among the toiletries and essential oils, not with cooking oil (which is where I first looked). The local one keeps it near the vitamin E oil.Good luck!Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:44am
Hey Christy!I do know that colorings definitely have an affect on your hair, but I have no personal experience with that area of hair care and would defer to the true expert on such matters which is Karen. She has often offered great tips for the least damaging ways to highlight and color hair and I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you about that sort of thing. Have you checked out the excellent tips and articles section? I think I recall a recent article about highlighting that you might find useful.Good luck!Very best wishes to all!Dawn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic