Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBlow Dryer Uprising?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blow Dryer Uprising?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
I'd like to read other opinions about what I consider a ridiculous trend in hair care: Every hair, beauty, and fashion magazine I read presumes that no modern woman would leave the house without undergoing a 25-minute "blow out." They suggest that it's essential to a polished look and part of good grooming. All the styling articles are about how to straighten and smooth your hair by stretching it (!) over a brush and blasting it with a dryer.The latest Hair Style Guides suggest blow drying even for the most natural-looking styles. In one "how-to" story, they straightened the model's naturally wavy hair with a blow dryer before setting it on jumbo rollers to create (guess what?) waves! Why? I'd always heard that blow dryers--along with curling and crimping irons--were murder on the hair and should only be used sparingly.My stylist is horrified when I want to walk out of the salon with my wet hair in a braid. (She blows hers out daily.) But I don't want heat-fried hair. Am I just out of the loop?Ally
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
Hi Ally, I know just how you feel! A few years ago (and many inches shorter!) I used to do the grueling "blow-out, use curling iron (then roll on velcro rollers), take out, style, spray..." It gets old really quick! I'll admit that my hair looked really good (voluminous from the velcro rollers) but it damages your hair bad (especially daily). I guess if your hair is short enough, you can get away with it. But, if your hair has much length, it is very time consuming, hurts your arm after awhile (all that holding the dryer up in the air!), and accelerates damage to ends. Not wanting to fool with chemical straightners, I wear my hair in its natural wavy/curly state. I agree that you see a LOT of information about blowing straight hair in magazines. I'm bucking the trend and going curly (trying out OUIDAD in the process!) :-)
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
JM--I'd /kill/ for naturally curly hair. Why anyone would want to torture it to straightness--and waste all that time damaging her hair--is beyond me. :)Then again, I think the biggest hair mistake you can make is to work against your natural hair type. I have fine hair but for years was determined to have that thick, voluminous, curly French bob look. I permed it to death, added highlights for "depth," cut in all kinds of layers, blow-dried it every day. Now I look at old photos and realize I still looked like I had fine hair--that had been tortured almost to the breaking point.I think most women look best when they enhance what God gave them instead of trying to erase it. ($0.02)Can't wait to hear how Ouidad works for everyone...Ally
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic