Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI Am Steamed...Cher Check This Out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Am Steamed...Cher Check This Out
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
I just bought the June/July 1998 issue of Bride's mag and there is a special issue on Getting Married at 20,30,40 with hair and beauty tips. As you know, I review as many of the mags as possible to find recommended features on hair to put in Hair News.So I read the Bride's hair suggestions for the 20s bride. It says that while regal twists and buns have been the longtime fav, the sleek, glassy, well conditioned hairstyle is really hot right now.For 30s brides it says to check out lots of curls for the new popular ultraromantic hair styles.So far so good. Then I turn to the 40s. It starts out by saying that the 40s bride should keep it simple. Then they quote Damien Miano of the Miano-Viel Salon in NYC who says that "long hair can make an older woman look garish" the article says that Damien provides shorter, sleeker cuts that are a little away from the face.Miano also says that the 40s something brunettes should "limit themselves to red/gold highlights for light brown hair or burgundy for very dark brown hair to black hair". It appears that he frowns on lighter or blonde colors because of the age factor.So who IS this guy and why does he feel the need to promote the myth that brides or woman in their 40s look garish with long hair.How many unsuspecting 40s women will read this and head for the scissors? This myth of long hair is bad for over 40s makes me nuts.Hair that is healthy and well cared for looks gorgeous on ANY age. I am a little steamed and knew that some of the beautiful 40s woman on this board would love to chew on this a little.Should be march in front of his shop, burn his head in effigy or just bash a little on this board. :-)Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
Karen--No one I know agrees with the "chop your hair when you hit 40" philosophy--except for certain professionals who have been brainwashed by trade magazines. Look at Cher and Jane Seymour! And Meryl Streep made a huge mistake when she cut hers off. As at any age, it's an issue of face shape, hair type, and hair condition.I'm upset that the trend in general is shorter, elaborately layered hair. The magazines keep dismissing long hair as "dated" and "lacking in style." All my long-haired friends say that stylists are always urging them to go shorter. Are these professionals just bored?One thing is clear: Men--the real men we date, love, and marry, who couldn't give a damn about fashion trends--love long hair. I hope no one cuts hers as a result of that article.Ally
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
Another twist of the modern idea of all women cutting off their locks at a certain stage of life. While most will not immediately rush off and cut off their hair, they will start to ponder and feel guilty for trying to look like a "kid". Then if that feeling wins over..they will go for the latest short hairstyle. I have heard this whole theory from my own Mom. Who on the board has seen the latest People's Magazine with Barbara Streisand's wedding photo's? Her hair, tho not super long, looked below shoulder length... She is 56 and I thought looked quite soft and attractive. Umm..Barbara must not have read that article you mentioned Karen before planning her wedding..! :-) Chin up..hair down.. press on.. Cheryl> I just bought the June/July 1998 issue of> Bride's mag and there is a special issue on Getting> Married at 20,30,40 with hair and beauty tips.> As you know, I review as many of the mags as possible> to find recommended features on hair to put in> Hair News.> So I read the Bride's hair suggestions for> the 20s bride. It says that while regal twists> and buns have been the longtime fav, the sleek,> glassy, well conditioned hairstyle is really hot> right now.> For 30s brides it says to check out lots> of curls for the new popular ultraromantic hair> styles.> So far so good. Then I turn to the 40s. It> starts out by saying that the 40s bride should> keep it simple. Then they quote Damien Miano of> the Miano-Viel Salon in NYC who says that "long> hair can make an older woman look garish"> the article says that Damien provides shorter,> sleeker cuts that are a little away from the face.>> Miano also says that the 40s something brunettes> should "limit themselves to red/gold highlights> for light brown hair or burgundy for very dark> brown hair to black hair". It appears that> he frowns on lighter or blonde colors because> of the age factor.> So who IS this guy and why does he feel the> need to promote the myth that brides or woman> in their 40s look garish with long hair.> How many unsuspecting 40s women will read> this and head for the scissors? This myth of long> hair is bad for over 40s makes me nuts.> Hair that is healthy and well cared for looks> gorgeous on ANY age. I am a little steamed and> knew that some of the beautiful 40s woman on this> board would love to chew on this a little.> Should be march in front of his shop, burn> his head in effigy or just bash a little on this> board. :-)> Karen
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
Hi Ally,Well think about it....long hair only requires a trim every 8-10 weeks. Short hair must be trimmed every 4 weeks or so or it looks shaggy and loses its style. If you were a stylist who made money on trimming hair...which cut would you favor?I am not against short or medium hair. I believe every one should wear their hair whatever length and style that pleases them.However, as someone who has already left 40 in the rear view mirror, it steams me when I hear the hair "professionals" trying to tell us "old ladies in our 40s" that long hair is dated.God willing and if the creek don't rise, I plan on never cutting my hair (except for trims) ever again. So what will they tell me when I am 60. That I can't have long hair?I would be just upset if I read the some professional said that woman in their 20s looked terrible in short hair.What makes it all worse is that this is a MAN who is saying this and how can he relate to how women feel about their hair.Yeah...this one got to me. :-)Karen> Karen--> No one I know agrees with the "chop> your hair when you hit 40" philosophy--except> for certain professionals who have been brainwashed> by trade magazines. Look at Cher and Jane Seymour!> And Meryl Streep made a huge mistake when she> cut hers off. As at any age, it's an issue of> face shape, hair type, and hair condition.> I'm upset that the trend in general is shorter,> elaborately layered hair. The magazines keep dismissing> long hair as "dated" and "lacking> in style." All my long-haired friends say> that stylists are always urging them to go shorter.> Are these professionals just bored?> One thing is clear: Men--the real men we> date, love, and marry, who couldn't give a damn> about fashion trends--love long hair. I hope no> one cuts hers as a result of that article.> Ally
Kira View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
I was stopped at a cross walk last week and in front of my car walked a woman (probably in her 50's) with her mid back, shiny, thick, wavy, grey hair flowing in the wind. It was such a beautiful sight. It's so sad that we have to buy into these myths. I'm only in my late twenties and everyone is trying to talk me out of growing my hair long except for my husband and family (who were horrified when I cut it all off a year ago). All I say to them is "To my butt and beyond."
Mary Louise View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
I am 44 and have waist length hair and I am constantly being told that "I would look so much cuter with a shorter style". I try to be polite but it angers me that people would tell me how to wear my hair. Sometimes when I am in a mood I will tell the people that this is a free country.Other times I will just tell them that I plan on growing my hair to my ankles. That shuts them up every time.ML> I was stopped at a cross walk last week and> in front of my car walked a woman (probably in> her 50's) with her mid back, shiny, thick, wavy,> grey hair flowing in the wind. It was such a beautiful> sight. It's so sad that we have to buy into these> myths. I'm only in my late twenties and everyone> is trying to talk me out of growing my hair long> except for my husband and family (who were horrified> when I cut it all off a year ago). All I say to> them is "To my butt and beyond."
dc View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
> Hi Ally,> Well think about it....long hair only requires> a trim every 8-10 weeks. Short hair must be trimmed> every 4 weeks or so or it looks shaggy and loses> its style. If you were a stylist who made money> on trimming hair...which cut would you favor?>> I am not against short or medium hair. I> believe every one should wear their hair whatever> length and style that pleases them.> However, as someone who has already left> 40 in the rear view mirror, it steams me when> I hear the hair "professionals" trying> to tell us "old ladies in our 40s" that> long hair is dated.> God willing and if the creek don't rise,> I plan on never cutting my hair (except for trims)> ever again. So what will they tell me when I am> 60. That I can't have long hair?> I would be just upset if I read the some> professional said that woman in their 20s looked> terrible in short hair.> What makes it all worse is that this is a> MAN who is saying this and how can he relate to> how women feel about their hair.> Yeah...this one got to me. :-)> Karen Man? Not many "men" I know use "garish" in their lexicon. No, this brie eating and wine tasting artiste belongs to the same class of individuals who love anorexic women to model their latest rags. Do I need to draw a picture?
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
Ahem....I would like to know, just who in the world does this Damien Miano think that he is that he is in a position to give blanket advice to every woman in the world who is over 40 years old? (If any of you ladies think this guy deserves the time of day... consider how un-special his comment about being "garish" has just made you feel). Presumably those who have long hair wear it long because they LIKE IT that way, yes? So who is Mr. Miano to pass negative judgment about about how YOU choose to wear YOUR hair?I pity the poor souls who are doubly hurt by this man... first by his rude and unkind insult, then by falling prey to his un-Godly humbling via a *truly* unwanted haircut.Thank you all for allowing me to vent $0.02 worth of steam...Dave
David M Squires
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
AhhhhhhhI see. :-)Thanks for the enlightenment.Karen>
KAREN View Drop Down

Dave,Sound of applause...from my hands. :-)Thanks. I agree, agree, agree.Karen>> Ahem....> I would like to know, just who in the world> does this Damien Miano think that he is that he> is in a position to give blanket advice to every> woman in the world who is over 40 years old? (If> any of you ladies think this guy deserves the> time of day... consider how un-special his comment> about being "garish" has just made you> feel). Presumably those who have long hair wear> it long because they LIKE IT that way, yes? So> who is Mr. Miano to pass negative judgment about> about how YOU choose to wear YOUR hair?> I pity the poor souls who are doubly hurt> by this man... first by his rude and unkind insult,> then by falling prey to his un-Godly humbling> via a *truly* unwanted haircut.> Thank you all for allowing me to vent $0.02> worth of steam...> Dave>
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
If a given male hairstylist has a same-gender preference... does anybody else wonder if that might that make him less able (or willing?) to give or recommend to women hairstyles which would attract the men to whom they want to appeal?Curious and puzzled,Dave
David M Squires
Monica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
Absolutely...this is the worst type of hairstylist when you want to be "out of the ordinary". I have found that women, as a rule, are more sympathetic to women who want to be more traditional and wear longer hair. Maybe it has just been my experience, but I had a male stylist for awhile and he was always wanting me to cut my hair super short and I look terrible with super short hair. Yes he had a male preference. Which I have no problem with. Just when it impacts my hair I have a problem.Monica>> If a given male hairstylist has a same-gender> preference... does anybody else wonder if that> might that make him less able (or willing?) to> give or recommend to women hairstyles which would> attract the men to whom they want to appeal?> Curious and puzzled,> Dave
dc View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
>> If a given male hairstylist has a same-gender> preference... does anybody else wonder if that> might that make him less able (or willing?) to> give or recommend to women hairstyles which would> attract the men to whom they want to appeal?> Curious and puzzled,> Dave Competition, man :)I knew a young woman who ran by me an appointment she had with the most sought after male hairdresser in town. Her elbow length hair was fantastic. I told her (based on an account I heard of another woman) that once this dude starts chopping, he ain't stopping. She didn't go to him, and told me she wants hip length hair for her wedding. I haven't seen her since, so she might have changed her mind. I myself received one of the worst haircuts ever from just such a "man" The next time I go to a male cutter, his name should be Buzz or Red, he should have military tattoos and his combs should be sitting in some blue solution (plus, old copies of Fir, Fish and Game lying around and a striped pole outside wouldn't hurt).For the other kind of cutter: 1. Shop with them? yes 2. Interior decorating? sure 3. Fashion and beauty advice? No friggin' way!I'm done dc
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:53am
This is typical of Bride's. I got married a bit over a year ago, and those magazines always made me laugh. This is just more of the same phenomenon that tells us we have to buy into all the hype about weddings - they have to be perfect, you have to spend lots of money, you have to start planning 18 months in advance, etc., etc. It's silly. Weddings are about people, not things.Most people probably won't take that too seriously. I never did - wedding magazines were reading material for when my flight was delayed and I was stressed out, because they amused me.Articles like that are written to sell magazines. After all, how would it look if they told you "You already have a pretty good idea of how you look best. Don't make any drastic changes, just dress it up a little. You'll look like yourself, and you'll be confident and comfortable."? The article would be short, and it wouldn't make any money for hairdressers or anyone else.Besides, if you check out a different bridal magazine, they're likely to print the exact opposite of most of the advice in the one you read. They never agree. One tells you it's the latest thing, the one beside it tells you it's out of date...typical.Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
amber View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:54am
I agree that people need to find the humor in it when one person {famous or not}tries to put a standard on beauty according to his/her personal opinions. It would be a pretty boring place if we went by this guy's beauty standard!We won't sweat the small stuff,and it's all small stuff! Amber> This is typical of Bride's. I got married> a bit over a year ago, and those magazines always> made me laugh. This is just more of the same phenomenon> that tells us we have to buy into all the hype> about weddings - they have to be perfect, you> have to spend lots of money, you have to start> planning 18 months in advance, etc., etc. It's> silly. Weddings are about people, not things.>> Most people probably won't take that too> seriously. I never did - wedding magazines were> reading material for when my flight was delayed> and I was stressed out, because they amused me.>> Articles like that are written to sell magazines.> After all, how would it look if they told you> "You already have a pretty good idea of how> you look best. Don't make any drastic changes,> just dress it up a little. You'll look like yourself,> and you'll be confident and comfortable."?> The article would be short, and it wouldn't make> any money for hairdressers or anyone else.> Besides, if you check out a different bridal> magazine, they're likely to print the exact opposite> of most of the advice in the one you read. They> never agree. One tells you it's the latest thing,> the one beside it tells you it's out of date...typical.>> Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu>
Carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:54am
Humour helps. So does a message board like Hair Talk that encourages everyone to live by their own standards of beauty and hair length.Carol> I agree that people need to find the humor> in it when one person {famous or not}tries to> put a standard on beauty according to his/her> personal opinions. It would be a pretty boring> place if we went by this guy's beauty standard!We> won't sweat the small stuff,and it's all small> stuff! Amber
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:55am
> Articles like that are written to sell magazines.> After all, how would it look if they told you> "You already have a pretty good idea of how> you look best. Don't make any drastic changes,> just dress it up a little. You'll look like yourself,> and you'll be confident and comfortable."?> The article would be short, and it wouldn't make> any money for hairdressers or anyone else.Yeah, it always seems so silly for me that people make weddings up to be this huge stressful event where you get dressed up like someone else and make everything perfect and stuff. I mean come on, it's your wedding, be yourself, you'll be more beautiful and have a LOT more fun! :-)-jennifer
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:56am
Ally,The only reason Industry specialists want to cut hair shorter is strictly to increase business. The shorter, the more upkeep, the more visits, the more money.Thus - long hairs actually spend less money to keep their hair luxurious and more beautiful than those who go with the flow and jump on the fad train to shorterdom.
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:56am
Ally,The only reason Industry specialists want to cut hair shorter is strictly to increase business. The shorter, the more upkeep, the more visits, the more money.Thus - long hairs actually spend less money to keep their hair luxurious and more beautiful than those who go with the flow and jump on the fad train to shorterdom.Keep the long flowing locks alive. My wife is 34 years old and has waistlength hair which is absolutely to die for. She says shes keeping it forever.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic