Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockeddancing do

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TANYA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANYA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dancing do
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:00am
I have very straight waist length hair and I need some help. I need to learn to put it up for ballroom dancing (serious stuff, with all kinds of lifts and twirls and even flips). I've tried putting it in a bun and french twist, but in minutes the hair pins are flying across the room, even with a hair net. I've also tried braiding it and then pinning up the braid, but again the pins go flying. I don't have any desire to cut it, but I need some help soon. We are getting ready for some performances and it has to be up.
TANYA H.
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:01am
I reckon that some kind of braid is probably your best best, have you tried putting it in a bun, but then using a scruncci round the base to cover/hold in the pins? Or possibly a french braid doubled over and tied with ribbon instead of pinned up. I also once heard that hairpins hold better if sprayed with hairspray before putting in - though I have no idea if this actually works!
TANYA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANYA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:01am
> I reckon that some kind of braid is probably> your best best, have you tried putting it in a> bun, but then using a scruncci round the base> to cover/hold in the pins? Or possibly a french> braid doubled over and tied with ribbon instead> of pinned up. I also once heard that hairpins> hold better if sprayed with hairspray before putting> in - though I have no idea if this actually works!>> Thanks for the suggestion. I'm really trying to stay away from a french braid because if you've ever seen pictures of the top ballroom couples (the few who don't have short hair) you'd see that braids aren't "the look" which is an important part of the judging. I'll give the scrunchie a try. Tanya
TANYA H.
TANYA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANYA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:02am
> I tried the scrunchie at pratcie the other day. It held for a little bit longer but by the end of the dance my bun had dropped and sagged and looked terrible. So it seems I'm still at the beginning. I need some suggestions quick!
TANYA H.
Robin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:02am
Tawnya, I've done ballroom competitions before, so I know where you're coming from. Are you doing latin or standard? I'm guessing standard, since you say you have to have it up. If Latin, I've seen a lot of people just braiding their hair--it's gathered into a tight ponytail at the nape, and then braided and tied at the end, then they pin the end to their costume.One of my friends has a standard hairdo she likes to use--she puts her hair up in a ponytail at the crown, then curls strands of hair with hot rollers or a curling iron, then pins each curl, so that it stays in place. The key to making it stick is lots and lots of strong gel before you style and hairspray after. Always put your in a ponytail first--it holds the best. Use large hair elastics, not scrunchies--they NEVER hold. Small elastics can damage the hair and don't hold, so use thick ones.Another idea is to use a hair net. You can buy one at about any beauty store, I think. You can find one that matches your hair color, then put your hair in a ponytail, then braid it, wrap it into a bun, then pin the hair net around it. It holds it in place a little better. I can't think of anything else right now, but if I do, I'll let you know. Oh, here's a tip for earrings--use nail glue to keep them on. It's not too fun to take off but it works. You can also try using rubber erasers on the backs.>
Robin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:02am
I just reread your original message. I guess you've already tried most of the stuff I recommended. With your hair so long, it's probably just too heavy for regular pins to hold it. You can buy extra huge sized pins--maybe that would help. Are you doing a team performance? How do you put it up normally? Do you twist it really tight? Maybe it's just the way you pin it.
TANYA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANYA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:02am
> Thanks for the advice. I'm doing standard and cabaret. I'll try the gel, which I've never tried on my hair since it is so long. I'm not sure what "lots and lots" would be. Would that much damge my hair? My hair is stick straight so I don't think the curl thing would work.
TANYA H.
Teresa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:02am
Hello Tanya.I don't really have a suggestion for a different style, but I do have a suggestion for a different hair implement. It's called a "Hair Scroo". It's a variation on a hair pin. It's about an an inch and a half or two inches long, and is twisted. You literally screw it into the hair. To remove it, you must unscrew it. I love them. They let me do buns again. My hair is knee length, very straight, and very heavy. I still only need four of them to keep a braided bun in place all day long. Before I discovered them a couple of years ago, I had given up on buns entirely. My hair just wouldn't stay up, even if I used dozens of bobby pins and hair pins. I'm not sure where you could get them anymore. I got one pair of mine (they are sold in packages of two) at an "Accessory Lady" store in the mall. The other pair, I bought at "Dillards".I have also found that hair sticks work pretty well for buns. The buns do sag some, but they don't usually come down, even when I'm excersising. Hair sticks are also quite popular right now, and you should be able to find them with all kinds of different decorations. One suggestion I have if you do try them, is to weave them into the hair securely, don't just jab them through. How you put them in makes a big difference as to how well they hold.I don't have any suggestions at all for French twists. I haven't been able to find anything that works, and I've tried most of what's out there.Good luck, Teresa
Robin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
I just had an idea, and then I'm giving up. What about gathering it into a ponytail and then braiding it into many smaller braids, and then pinning those braids individually in a coil around the elastic? I've kind of seen something like that in hair magazines at the salon. It might help lessen the weight of the braids so that they can be held in place better. Of course, it would take a while, so leave plenty of time. That hair screw the other lady mentioned sounds interesting--give it a try too. Sorry I couldn't help more! You have a tough situation.
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
Hi all,If you can't find 'hair scroos' in the USA I am fairly sure that they are available in the UK - if you are pushed I could mail some over.....?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic