Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStuck in the '70's??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuck in the '70's??
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:33am
I'd like to get some opinions on something I'm considering: I'm a guy in my 40's with sandy blond hair mixed with gray. I'm very lucky that all my hair has remained on my head for all these years. Still thick and straight with good texture,etc. I have kept it longish on top (about 2-3 inches) and above my ears on the sides for the last 10 years or so.I don't use gel or mousse, but shampoo every day and sometimes use conditioner in the winter. I have a great barber/stylist, so if a suggestion sounds good, he could probably do it.I'm thinking I may want to grow it longer, over the ears and /or longer in back.... but, will this make me look like I'm stuck in the '70's??? I see bald and buzz cut young men everywhere these days - well, forget that - not my look! So the only alternative is to grow it longer if I want something different.What about longer on top (4-5 inches) and above the ears on the sides? I see this style frequently, but it appears to be losing out to the shaved head look!I'm 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, athletic build. At the risk of sounding immodest, I'm in pretty good shape and look younger than my age. I think I could wear longer hair, but don't want to look out of date. A ponytail would be a bit too much since I work in bank. Any opinions?? Is over-the-ears hair still out of style for men??
jj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:33am
Hi Dick,I'm a 58 year old graying male, short,overweight grandpa. My opinion is don't let others determine what you like, be your own man. If you like long hair (what ever length), just remember the codition and neatness is what determines if it looks good.If you care about you, you will care about your hair and no one will care if it is short or long.Long hair is fun Iv'e had it really long and really short I'm in the process of going pony tail long.Good Luck!!JJ
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:33am
> Hi Dick,> I'm a 58 year old graying male, short,overweight> grandpa. My opinion is don't let others determine what> you like, be your own man. If you like long hair (what> ever length), just remember the codition and neatness> is what determines if it looks good.> If you care about you, you will care about your hair> and no one will care if it is short or long.> Long hair is fun Iv'e had it really long and really> short I'm in the process of going pony tail long.> Good Luck!!> JJThanks, JJ. I hear what you're saying, but I just want to get a feel for what's happening out there besides shaved heads! My kids would tease me no end if I grew a ponytail. They think I'm pretty conservative. Truth told, I just don't have the guts to do it! Thanks for your encouragement!Dick
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:33am
Hi Dick,One the one hand, you say want to grow your hair longer so it is more to yourliking. On the other hand, you say you want to avoid displeasing others (or atleast avoid potentially unfavorable comments, from your kids and/or colleagues),and you say you want to avoid looking like you're "stuck in the 70's."You are primarily responsible for ensuring your own happiness -- not others.You have to decide which is more important to you. Pleasing yourselfor trying to avoid displeasing others. In general, trying to avoid displeasingothers may be far more difficult to do, since you might find yourself constantlysecond-guessing your choices. You can't please all people all of the time.Regarding whether or not you feel you have the guts to grow your hair long......if you just do it, then you will know the answer -- that you did have the guts.I discovered that my decision to grow my own long hair was a very empowering one.I hope this helps,Dave
David M Squires
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:33am
> Hi Dick,> One the one hand, you say want to grow your hair> longer so it is more to your> liking. On the other hand, you say you want to avoid> displeasing others (or at> least avoid potentially unfavorable comments, from> your kids and/or colleagues),> and you say you want to avoid looking like you're> "stuck in the 70's."> You are primarily responsible for ensuring your own> happiness -- not others.> You have to decide which is more important to you.> Pleasing yourself> or trying to avoid displeasing others. In general,> trying to avoid displeasing> others may be far more difficult to do, since you> might find yourself constantly> second-guessing your choices. You can't please all> people all of the time.> Regarding whether or not you feel you have the guts to> grow your hair long......> if you just do it, then you will know the answer --> that you did have the guts.> I discovered that my decision to grow my own long hair> was a very empowering one.> I hope this helps,> DaveThanks, Dave! Boy, I didn't think this would get to be a potential Oprah Winfrey show on "true hairstyle confessions"!! (LOL) But actually, it's why this board and site are so active, since hair is such a personal expression. I'd have to be honest and say I've always worn my hair to "fit in" - mostly because of peer group influence and the greater importance hairstyles played during the past decades. Except for military service, my "look" has been a littany of styles that were "in" for the times. Crew cuts, flat tops with and without duck tails, razor cuts, shags, and so on. Everything from "greasy kid stuff" to the dry look to today's conservative styles!And I'm the one who admires ladies who wear their hair long regardless of current fads! I'll take a dose of my own medicine and give this some more thought.......
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:33am
Hey Guys I have something to say.I am totally shock on this whole thing took a weird turn on a road somehow.I am very direct so I am going to say it the way it is and you guys can pick on me but watch out. I am dish it and take it.First of all I can say I am very impress with you Dick for knowing you need to update your looks. I see pictures in my head so I can see you sound attactive. ONe advice drop the barber and see a professional stylist as they are more updated with new styles. Go and ask a woman that you respect her opiinion about where she goes to have her haircuts and then go there and look at the books and talk to someone . It doesn't cost anything to ask questions. Ask tons of questions. Look around to see if that salon won an award as creativity etc. Look to see if its a busy place. All that will tell you its a good place. Look at the traffic flow in that place.IN my area many men in your age group that are accountant, lawyers etc have decided to get a hair cut that is very short and I am tellling you Dick its looks very sharp on a certain type of male. I will actually stop the car and just look at a man that has the right cut ( lol)I am not saying go do that but talk to a professional about your choices.Many women are frustrated married to men that don't feel they need a change. Personally I am tired of dragging mine out of the house, fighting with him to get a new tie, new underwear, new clothes, new hair style. Its a common topic that many women share . I like fashion and I am often frustrated on seeing how he will hang on to something that he had for ten , 20 years and its a batttle. So when I actually hear you want to change , heck all the power to you Dick. Go do it. Many people will be impress and you will feel better about yourself.To Dave, JJ,Give the man a break already. Yes long hair on men is sexy etc. but its not for everyone. We should be pleased that he decided to update his looks. Its a huge step for him then you guys can hammer the phylosophy part in him when he is comfortable. He is not in your level of thinking yet . We need to gentle you know.Then we will get him to be a warrior in the univer to fight for the right to wear your hair the way you want.Okay you have a smart remark for me now( lol)
jj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:33am
Lightenup Diane, lifes to short to worry about how others need to change or not change. We need to love others for who they are not what they look like. We need to feel good about ourself because we know who we are. I agree with you on the gentle part but change for the purpose of change isn't for everyone.By the way Dick, my kids(6) and grandkids(10) give me a bad time about my hair no matter what. But I do take good care of my hair and I wear it the way I like it and have fun with the kidding. They really kid me if I go curlly, Oh Well life is fun if you don't let the little things get you down. God loves us just the way we are.
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:34am
Hey, are we whipping up a burning controversy here, or what?? (lol) In all fairness, Diane, I'm the one who said he was considering a longer style. My cut now is pretty short, but mainly it's just the same old, same old. I'm thinking of a change, but don't want to go shorter. The reason is that my hair is turning blond with grey streaks that I actually like! I let it grow pretty long before my last haircut and I got some nice compliments on it from ladies I know (yes, including my wife!)This, of course, is like a drug to a guy!!(lol) So it made me wonder if there is a longer hairstyle out there that won't make me look like I did in 1978! For the most part, I enjoy fashion and hairstyles and try to keep up, but I thought some of the people "in the know" on this site could help me out.And yeah, I didn't intend for this to be a heavy discussion on who I'm trying to please.....I'm not unhappy, just wondering if there is anything new out there besides buzz and bowl heads. Hey, maybe a goatee......nah!!!> Hey Guys I have something to say.> I am totally shock on this whole thing took a weird> turn on a road somehow.> I am very direct so I am going to say it the way it is> and you guys can pick on me but watch out. I am dish> it and take it.> First of all I can say I am very impress with you Dick> for knowing you need to update your looks. I see> pictures in my head so I can see you sound attactive.> ONe advice drop the barber and see a professional> stylist as they are more updated with new styles. Go> and ask a woman that you respect her opiinion about> where she goes to have her haircuts and then go there> and look at the books and talk to someone . It doesn't> cost anything to ask questions. Ask tons of questions.> Look around to see if that salon won an award as> creativity etc. Look to see if its a busy place. All> that will tell you its a good place. Look at the> traffic flow in that place.> IN my area many men in your age group that are> accountant, lawyers etc have decided to get a hair cut> that is very short and I am tellling you Dick its> looks very sharp on a certain type of male. I will> actually stop the car and just look at a man that has> the right cut ( lol)> I am not saying go do that but talk to a professional> about your choices.> Many women are frustrated married to men that don't> feel they need a change. Personally I am tired of> dragging mine out of the house, fighting with him to> get a new tie, new underwear, new clothes, new hair> style. Its a common topic that many women share . I> like fashion and I am often frustrated on seeing how> he will hang on to something that he had for ten , 20> years and its a batttle. So when I actually hear you> want to change , heck all the power to you Dick. Go do> it. Many people will be impress and you will feel> better about yourself.> To Dave, JJ,> Give the man a break already. Yes long hair on men is> sexy etc. but its not for everyone. We should be> pleased that he decided to update his looks. Its a> huge step for him then you guys can hammer the> phylosophy part in him when he is comfortable. He is> not in your level of thinking yet . We need to gentle> you know.> Then we will get him to be a warrior in the univer to> fight for the right to wear your hair the way you> want.> Okay you have a smart remark for me now( lol)
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:34am
>Boy Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus!All I said that we appreciate the fact that he was considering a change. Never the lightup topic to me bud.I have a good attitude in life.
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:34am
>You need JJ, Dick would be more williing to do what he wanted with his hair if society accepted man to wear their hair the way they want. Too many professional jobs out there have contracts that says short hair and no beards. You can tell me to lightup but I am for the justice to wear your hair the way you want.You are communicatiion with a long hair female and believe me I get this message that I should cut my hair becuase I will be 40 soon. Now where the justice to that. If you ask me to lighten up on the right to wear our hair the way we want then sir , you will be waiting a heck of long time and I will proud that I didn't lighten up!Have a nice day.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:34am
Hi Dick,Somehow I doubt that with longer hair you would look like you did in 1978.My hair length in 1993 was about the same as in 1973... but I dare say that otherwiseI looked VERY different in 1993 compared to 1973.If you like how your hair is evolving as it grows a bit longer, then why not wear itthat way? Also, if you want something "different," and you see a large number ofvery short styles on other guys, then by default your longer hair will be different.Then perhaps your newly-longer hair will be seen by others as one definition ofwhat's "new."Dave
David M Squires
jj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:34am
Hi Diane,It sounds like we share more in common on this issue then not. You sound like a reall nice person. I love the way you stand up for what you believe.Age is no barier to beautiful hair, and at age 40 you are just in the prime of life. You dserve to have a great day so make it a great day.God BlessJJP.S - Dick thanks for getting this discussion going, it took an interesting turn. But isn't it interesting?
Julie Anne View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:34am
Great topic Dick and my hat is off to you for recognizing that you want to try something to update your look. I think you should go for it. If you feel good about yourself and you take good care of your hair, you will look great no matter what.JA> I'd like to get some opinions on something I'm> considering: I'm a guy in my 40's with sandy blond> hair mixed with gray. I'm very lucky that all my hair> has remained on my head for all these years. Still> thick and straight with good texture,etc. I have kept> it longish on top (about 2-3 inches) and above my ears> on the sides for the last 10 years or so.> I don't use gel or mousse, but shampoo every day and> sometimes use conditioner in the winter. I have a> great barber/stylist, so if a suggestion sounds good,> he could probably do it.> I'm thinking I may want to grow it longer, over the> ears and /or longer in back.... but, will this make me> look like I'm stuck in the '70's??? I see bald and> buzz cut young men everywhere these days - well,> forget that - not my look! So the only alternative is> to grow it longer if I want something different.> What about longer on top (4-5 inches) and above the> ears on the sides? I see this style frequently, but it> appears to be losing out to the shaved head look!> I'm 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, athletic build. At the> risk of sounding immodest, I'm in pretty good shape> and look younger than my age. I think I could wear> longer hair, but don't want to look out of date. A> ponytail would be a bit too much since I work in bank.> Any opinions?? Is over-the-ears hair still out of> style for men??
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:34am
Hi Dick,Grow that hair. I think it will look fabulous. Don't forget to send me the photos so we can show your new growth off on the Hair Boutique. :-)Best wishes,Karen> I'd like to get some opinions on something I'm> considering: I'm a guy in my 40's with sandy blond> hair mixed with gray. I'm very lucky that all my hair> has remained on my head for all these years. Still> thick and straight with good texture,etc. I have kept> it longish on top (about 2-3 inches) and above my ears> on the sides for the last 10 years or so.> I don't use gel or mousse, but shampoo every day and> sometimes use conditioner in the winter. I have a> great barber/stylist, so if a suggestion sounds good,> he could probably do it.> I'm thinking I may want to grow it longer, over the> ears and /or longer in back.... but, will this make me> look like I'm stuck in the '70's??? I see bald and> buzz cut young men everywhere these days - well,> forget that - not my look! So the only alternative is> to grow it longer if I want something different.> What about longer on top (4-5 inches) and above the> ears on the sides? I see this style frequently, but it> appears to be losing out to the shaved head look!> I'm 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, athletic build. At the> risk of sounding immodest, I'm in pretty good shape> and look younger than my age. I think I could wear> longer hair, but don't want to look out of date. A> ponytail would be a bit too much since I work in bank.> Any opinions?? Is over-the-ears hair still out of> style for men??
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Thomas View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:34am
Dick,Enjoyed this topic tremendously. Thanks.Tom> I'd like to get some opinions on something I'm> considering: I'm a guy in my 40's with sandy blond> hair mixed with gray. I'm very lucky that all my hair> has remained on my head for all these years. Still> thick and straight with good texture,etc. I have kept> it longish on top (about 2-3 inches) and above my ears> on the sides for the last 10 years or so.> I don't use gel or mousse, but shampoo every day and> sometimes use conditioner in the winter. I have a> great barber/stylist, so if a suggestion sounds good,> he could probably do it.> I'm thinking I may want to grow it longer, over the> ears and /or longer in back.... but, will this make me> look like I'm stuck in the '70's??? I see bald and> buzz cut young men everywhere these days - well,> forget that - not my look! So the only alternative is> to grow it longer if I want something different.> What about longer on top (4-5 inches) and above the> ears on the sides? I see this style frequently, but it> appears to be losing out to the shaved head look!> I'm 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, athletic build. At the> risk of sounding immodest, I'm in pretty good shape> and look younger than my age. I think I could wear> longer hair, but don't want to look out of date. A> ponytail would be a bit too much since I work in bank.> Any opinions?? Is over-the-ears hair still out of> style for men??
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:35am
>Thanks . Yes we are on the same side . Someone did tease me and called me Zena the warrior. I thought it was funny but I guess I can be like her at times. ( LOL)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic