Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGetting an air perm? Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rachel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting an air perm? Thoughts?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:35am
Hi everyone. This might be heresy asking a question like this on this board but - Are there any long haired people here with perms? Has anyone ever heard of an "air perm?"From what they tell me, an air perm is a lot gentler on your hair - there is no neutralizer solution. You leave the rods in for 24 hours and it neutralizes naturally, leaving out the amonia that it is in the neutralizer.I guess I have been having a bad hair day for the past year. I have hair that if I pull it straight it goes to my hips, but it is not an even length. It has a very slight wave so it looks like it is to my waist. It is kind of fine and I am tired of the very flat, no body look. For the past year or so I have done a very bad thing in curling the ends every day to make it look better.Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on getting a perm - is it worth it?Thanks for the advice.Rachel
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:35am
> Hi everyone. This might be heresy asking a question> like this on this board but - Are there any long> haired people here with perms? Has anyone ever heard> of an "air perm?"> From what they tell me, an air perm is a lot gentler> on your hair - there is no neutralizer solution. You> leave the rods in for 24 hours and it neutralizes> naturally, leaving out the amonia that it is in the> neutralizer.> I guess I have been having a bad hair day for the past> year. I have hair that if I pull it straight it goes> to my hips, but it is not an even length. It has a> very slight wave so it looks like it is to my waist.> It is kind of fine and I am tired of the very flat, no> body look. For the past year or so I have done a very> bad thing in curling the ends every day to make it> look better.> Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on getting> a perm - is it worth it?> Thanks for the advice.> RachelTho my hair at present is not super long ..I did have a perm when it was to my waist. I had a Bain de terre perm done. It's quite expensive to have long hair permed. And when you are dealing with chemicals you will experience some damage. Plus with the added weight of long hair the perm does not last as long. I have never heard of air perms. This is the first I have read about this technique. I can understand your wanting to make your fine hair wavy for a change.. Have you tried braiding it when wet? This is a great way to give your hair some waves with no damage at all. Divide your hair up into at least 10 braids depending on the thickness of your hair. Leave them in overnight or til dry. This always makes my hair look like I have a perm. Or try frenchbraiding your hair just after washing and leave it in til your hair is completely dry. This always does a great job of giving me some waves. You mentioned curling your hair ...do you use a curling iron? That will reek havoc on your ends. If you want long hair you will have to take extra good care of it. I would stay away from perms and irons and try the wet braiding technique. If you want curly ends, you could always braid your hair at night and then take a pink sponge curler and curl the last few inches of your braid overnight. This always gave me some waves and curls on the ends.. good luck.. Cher~
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:35am
Hello Rachel,I know how you feel . I have thick hair that reaches my waist. I had a spiral done a couple of times and I found it didn't last very long because the weight pulled it down.What it did do was it added more waves to my hair and that is okay. I tend to have natural wavy hair so I guess it just added to it. I was disappointed in the perm because I felt I spend a lot of money and it didn't last .I don't use hairblowers, curling irons , hair sprays but I don't care for straight hair. The funny part is now that I have this perm still in my hair I can make my hair look totally straight or I can make it look wavy which is nice in a way.I wouldn't trust myself giving perms so I tend to let the professionals do their job so maybe that is why I haven't hear of an air perm.The stylist at the time used a very gentle perm on me and she said it was for long hair . Now I don't remember what it was.Diane
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:36am
I know this question was posted a couple of days ago, but I hope you'll still see this response, Rachel... I have waist length hair and just recently got a perm. I, too, was tired of flat hair, especially since I am growing out my bangs so I have layers. I put my own perm in, I believe I used Oglvive (sp?) Natural Looks for Medium or Hard-to-Wave hair. I can't tell any particular damage it did - I naturally have dry hair though. I did a perm in May and then again in August because it was prettymuch gone. I think the really important thing is to condition A LOT after you perm. I used large curlers to roll my hair, by the way. It gave a very nice wavy effect, and makes the different lengths look a lot nicer. I haven't heard of an air-perm, but I haven't had any problem with regular perms as long as they're conditioning. Oglvive Natural Looks perms (I think that's the right name) have a lot of natural ingredients and are made to give very natural-looking curl. Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic