Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLong hair is a psychological feel-good

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:44am
> You are such a sweet woman I just love you! Its these> kinds of responses that make is easy to share what are> really very personal details about one's life. But it> feels so good to do that and then find that the> stories really connect you to someone else, that they> show how much we all share the same needs and desires> in life.> Anyway, my mom has never had hair longer than her> collar and for all of her adult life has worn it about> ear length struggling to poof it out a bit with tons> of hairspray. I'm the child of a first marriage and my> three brothers and two sisters are the children of her> second marriage and no, she's never treated my sisters> the way she treated me, but they would probably shave> their heads if she told them to, its that kind of a> relationship. Both of my sisters wear their hair> barely shoulder length at its longest and both spend> hours on end fiddling with it, curling irons, rollers,> sprays, mousse, whatever, very conventional, very> fashion forward kind of do's over which they seem to> agonize constantly about whether its coming out right> and are rarely satisfied with the results no matter> how long it seems to take them to achieve the> "look" they're aiming for. They all think> I'm crazy, out-of-date, radical, just plain stubborn> or tormented by the demons of the past and unable to> cut the stuff even though I'm too old for long hair as> they say. But my hair isn't fashion, its me and so we> leave it at that, both sides keeping their opinions to> themselves because we know there's no real common> ground to stand on regarding the issue. Its grown into> a comfortably quiet acceptance over the years. This> summer's outings were my moms first real encounter> with my daily life and I know the hair thing came as a> shock to her but it did feel good to make the point> that it wasn't some fad I wanted as a 11 year old, it> was an integral part of my identity and she should> have respected that years ago. I swear I didn't work> it too much, just enjoyed the moments when they came> my way! ;)> Thanks for your kind words. You always make me feel it> was ok to go ahead post this craziness!> Very best wishes,> Dawn,Thanks for sharing again. Maybe since your Mom experienced first hand the compliments and comments on your hair, she will go back and tell your sisters how surprisingly eye opening it all was. Or at least a back off since realization has set in that your hair is "kewl" afterall!! I am sure she will have moments of deep thought.And really I wouldn't blame you a bit if you had porked heavily on the moments that came your way!!! I have lived long enough to realize that we do not have to reek revenge on people in some circumstances.. the moment will come when the payback comes on it's own and justice is done.Then.. I always say.."how sweet it is.." best regards.. Cher~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic