Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How often do you wash your hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do you wash your hair?
    Posted: January 19 2001 at 9:05pm
I`m just curious how often everyone here washes his (or her) hair.

Jennifer
wolfgang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2001 at 6:36am
Reply to message: 24.55.1
Hello,

I wash my hair every day, otherwise it looks oily or greasy (I have a translation problem for "fettig"). I don`t know if it is considered to be long or not, it`s a little bit longer then shoulder length. I really would like to be a long hair expert, but I fear this thing will not happen in this life.

For washing I use plantur shampoo and dilute it with a lot of water and after washing the hair plantur conditioner. Beeing very carefully with combing (with a wide teeth hard rubber saw cut comb) I usually find less then 5 - 10 individual hairs in the sink, sometimes only two or three. If I remember the old days with this usual men`s hair combs I put bundles of hair out each times, at least this thing has changed to be better. I don`t understand that I ever had great feelings for long hair but very low level knowledge about hair care.

wolfgang
Pink Dreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Dreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2001 at 12:10pm
I was my hair every other day. I have long (midback), natural curly, coarse hair. I am careful to only shampoo the scalp and rinse the soapy water through the rest of my hair, then only condition the shaft to the end, starting about midway up. If I get conditioner too close to the scalp, I`m screwed. It won`t lay right and I have to wash it the next morning. It took me a long time to convince myself that I didn`t need to wash it daily, and I have tried to go three days instead of two, but neither one was right for me. I also don`t brush my hair EVER. I only comb in the shower with conditioner in it. So this keeps the oils from spreading around so much.
You didn`t say - how often do you wash your hair?:)
Solo35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2001 at 1:33pm
Reply to message: 24.58.1
I wash mine every other day also. Mine is shoulder length, medium fine and straight. It is oily at the scalp so washing every other day is a must for me. I do blowdry every time I wash, but keep the settings on low heat and medium power. This is working pretty good for me.

Lisa
Beatnik Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beatnik Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2001 at 7:55pm
Reply to message: 24.59.1

2 or 3 times a week...depends how it`s looking.

Chris
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2001 at 9:22pm
every 2-3 days depending on product usage.

(if I use gels etc every two)
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
McKee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2001 at 9:51pm
Depends on how it looks when i come home. but usually every other day.
"If everybody demanded peace instead of another television set, then there`d be peace"

~John W. Lennon
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2001 at 8:01am
Hello, everyone,

I usually wash my hair every day, although in the winter I might go every other day sometimes, especially when it is really cold. But, overall, I just don`t feel "right" if I don`t wash my hair. I just don`t feel "clean". That`s just me. Sometimes I will purposefully let my hair "rest" for 2 or 3 days on the weekend.

When I do wash, I blow dry just a little bit to remove excess moisture, then I let it air dry from there. It tends to be wavy so I usually just let it go like that.

I use an ends leave in conditioner by Redken and have had almost no split ends. But I snip off the ones that I do see myself. (Also I use the Artec Kiwi Detangling/ leave in conditioner spray. Sometimes I use Aveda Elixir.)

Regards,
Clare
Clare
TheClownSlayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheClownSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2001 at 7:16pm
quote:

Jennifer originally wrote:
I'm just curious how often everyone here washes his (or her) hair.

Jennifer

I wash my hair every day, because I`m on the school track team, and it can get icky. To make up for this I give myself a hot oil treatment followed by a clay hair masque every week, just so it doesn`t get damaged.
Off-season, I wash it every other day. Even though I`m sixteen, it usually doesn`t get oily.

... Anna Mal ...

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2001 at 7:04pm
Reply to message: 24.58.1
Hi Pink Dreams (and everyone!)

Well, I`m probably in a different boat than most people here..... I wear hair extensions. Yes, that`s "cheating," but hey, people get nose jobs and breast augmentation all the time, and my hair is the only "unnatural" part about me. {grin}

My natural hair is abundant, yet fine and tends to be oily. Before extensions, I usually washed it once a day and often in the summer, 8-10 times a week! Even though my hair wasn`t dry, I know that it was too frequent.

However, my extensions are bleached, permed, and quite coarse -- completely the opposite of my natural hair! I was told that I should wash my hair no longer than once or twice a week. At first, I thought it would be terribly difficult because of my past habits, but amazingly it really hasn`t been bad at all. Even though I tend to have a slightly oily scalp, my natural hair has adjusted nicely to the less-frequent hair washing.

Within the past week, I had brand-new extensions put in, and so to see my own hair growth a bit better and to give myself a few days without the extensions, I took out the extensions at home, and went ~ 5 days without them. I tried desperately to go two days without washing (my natural hair), but I couldn`t do it!

So now, with my extensions, about once every three days is perfect for me. However, sometimes I`ll wash only my bangs (which are natural -- no extensions) every other day because they tend to get greasy.

When I finally do wear my hair naturally, I`d like to try very hard to wash it only every other day. That was the real impetus behind my question -- especially for those with longer hair. I was just curious to see how often, on average, you all washed your hair.

Jennifer
Brittany Paloma View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brittany Paloma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2001 at 12:29am
Reply to message: 24.164.1
Don`t take this in an icky way when I say I don`t wash it often. It`s always CLEAN but I`ve found washing my hair too much strips it of moisture, even with an all natural shampoo, conditioner, leave in condit. I wash my hair on Tue`s and Wed`s (I have dance classes then so I don`t want to be icky) and then probably Friday and Sunday, sometimes only one of those days. But it`s always clean, I promise :)

Brittany

(btw my hair is 27 1/2 inches, which is barely past waist-length on me, measuring from root to tip (vs measuring from hairline, over the head, and to the tips).
lgp82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgp82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2001 at 1:31pm
wash my hair every day because it looks greasy if I don`t. I sue ISO shampoo+cond or CAT by Redken.
~*~*Lisa*~*~
Ilima View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2001 at 4:13am
I was my hair every third day, sometimes every other day depending on what I`ve been doing that day or if I`ve used lots of product. I use Back to Basics Sunflower Shampoo and leave-in spray, and I use Biolage Detangling Solution. My hair is about 1 inch short of my waist, it`s fine although I have lots of it, and it`s wavy.
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2001 at 4:59pm
There is a school of thought that says that you can go without washing your hair *at all* and eventally it will clean itself. It may sound icky, and apparently so is the hair for the first seven or eight weeks. Then, as if by magic, a natural chemical transformation is supposed to occur and it looks fresh and shiny, if not exactly "washed". I`ve never tried it myself, but have seen a woman on TV with medium-length hair unwashed for a year and it didn`t look that bad. To each his (or her) own!
phil
Jenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2001 at 2:49pm
Reply to message: 24.378.1
I wash my hair every other day. If I wash it more it strips the moisture out of it and if I wash it less then it gets greasy. So I every-other day I have to wash it. No more and no less.
Hippychik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hippychik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 2:46pm
I wash mine twice a week. It's waist-length and takes a long time to dry. I put it up when it's not freshly washed, and sometimes I will only wash the top where it's oily.
grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 6:35pm
Once a week with shampoo and conditioner. Usually on Sunday evenings.
I rinse with water after workouts, to keep sweat and salt off my scalp.

Hippychik - look into an Aquis towel for drying your hair. http://www.tenderheaded.com/aquishairtowel.html
My hair used to take anywhere from 6-8 hours to dry enough to go outside. With an Aquis, it's about 2 hours.
Worth every penny.

Cheers!
Gren

1bCiii
between tailbone and classic (43.5inches)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic