Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedworst shampoos?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: worst shampoos?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:01am
I just wanted to know what people think are the worst shampoos and conditioners, both salon and nonsalon brands.
Nancy
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:01am
Hi Nancy...Great question. One problem in answering this is that what works great for some people works not so great for others. I know that some people on this board really have great luck with Abba and for me it was terrible. I tried the entire line too because a stylist wrote me privately and told me that I should try a different type of Abba. Well I did and NOPE. No go.Other people think that Aura is great and it also did not do anything for my hair. In fact, it made it feel very dry.I think the worst shampoo on the grocery store shelves is Prell which some stylists use to strip color off the hair. So I would vote for Prell as the worst (in my opinion) of the grocery store genre. I would say that for me personally Abba was the worst salon style shampoo and conditioner. But again...that was on my hair.Of course my favorites are ARTec anything, Aveda, KMS, Phytologie, Fuerter and Oasis 2001 which is the WW Beauty Store custom product line.I also like Nature's Gate from the health food store shelves. I would also use Suave in a pinch.I hope everyone contributes their thoughts. This is an interesting question.Best wishes,Karen> I just wanted to know what people think are the worst> shampoos and conditioners, both salon and nonsalon> brands.
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:01am
For me, Pantene 2-in-1 proved to be my worst shampoo. At first, it made my hair soft with a lot of shine, but after time it coated my hair and made it stringy and waxy feeling.
Teresa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:01am
Hello Nancy.I have tried many shampoos and conditioners. I have naturally oily hair and many are just not as effective as I would like them to be. For me personally, the worst shampoo and conditioner that I ever tried was Vibrance, from the grocery store. This shampoo dried my hair out so much that it felt like straw and had many tangles. I've never had this problem with any other shampoo. Usually they don't remove enough oil.Teresa
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:01am
Mine was Lori Davis. Cher was the spokesmodel for it. I see they sell it in drug stores now. It used to be mail order.Related Link:pennys modeling page
Kelly F. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:01am
> I just wanted to know what people think are the worst> shampoos and conditioners, both salon and nonsalon> brands.Oh gosh..great question. I have tried lots of yucky shampoos over the years, but I think one of them wins out by far above all others. I think the worst shampoo I've ever used has to be "Thicker, Fuller Hair". It comes in a dark green bottle, smells medicinal & couldn't leave your hair feeling any worse than if you'd use a bar of Lava soap on it. I couldn't even get a comb thru mine & the static it created was unbelievable. Same hold true for their thickening lotion. Yuk! ~Kelly F.
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:01am
That's really interesting about Prell. My sister is trying to fade out the dye that turned her hair black, do you think shampooing with Prell might help her get rid of it quickly? (I think right now she's using the Aussie shampoo that adds golden brown highlights to soften the black color.) It was supposed to be permenent, but has started to fade after only a month (it was also supposed to be 'Deep Brown' and not black, but that's another story).
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:01am
Hi Jen,Absolutely. Have her lather on the Prell and then let it sit on her hair for 10 minutes and then rinse out. If she does that for a couple of days her color will fade right away. Unfortunately it is not great for the hair for extended use, but for a few days to fade color it should work great.Many hairstylists know this trick.The sad thing is that Prell is still sold in the grocery stores. It is not doing as well as it used to because of all the newer products that are better for the hair. But it is still on the shelves. I saw some just last week.Best wishes,Karen> That's really interesting about Prell. My sister is> trying to fade out the dye that turned her hair black,> do you think shampooing with Prell might help her get> rid of it quickly? (I think right now she's using the> Aussie shampoo that adds golden brown highlights to> soften the black color.) It was supposed to be> permenent, but has started to fade after only a month> (it was also supposed to be 'Deep Brown' and not> black, but that's another story).
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Keth'ryn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keth'ryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:02am
Well I know I'm gonna get hassled about this one but I must be honest. Pantene is soooo bad for your hair. You have no idea the buildup and cloging of the hair follicles this stuff causes. Not to mention the breaking and split ends. I have no clue why so many people use this stuff.ThanksKeth'ryn
LittleO View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:02am
Head and shoulders is really, really bad for your hair.A woman I know was losing her hair little by little becausethis stuff stripped her scalp so much.I do agree, Pantene is very bad, but people use it becausemaybe some don't care what it does, as long as it looks good.I don't know.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:02am
> I just wanted to know what people think are the worst> shampoos and conditioners, both salon and nonsalon> brands.The worst shampoo for me was Finesse, the formula for dry hair. It triggered an allergic reaction. My scalp was so itchy that I drew blood. I was miserable for several months. It also dried out my hair after about 10 uses and helped my ends to split. Regulars here have heard this story before.I have used several Pantene shampoos over the years, but the problem is that the buildup on your hair over a very short period of time outweighs any plus for the shampoos.Karen is definitely right with Prell. IT IS HORRIBLE!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic