Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat's so bad about Pantene shampoo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's so bad about Pantene shampoo?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:04am
Hi! I was reading the posts about worst shampoo and I noticed that Pantene Pro-V was mentioned quite a bit. I guess I am in the dark here, I have used this occasionally, but it sounds like this can be damaging to your hair??? Why?? Someone please fill me in. Thanks, Ellen.

Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:04am
As far as I know, Pantene has very harsh ingredients, namely ammonium sulfates. These strip the hair's natural oils and protection, then coat the hair with silicone ingredients. That's how you get the 14-day shine challenge. In the long term, coating hair with silicone dries the hair out and most people report hair breakage after several years of using Pantene. Personally, 3 hairdressers I have been to have discouraged me from using this product.
Reena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:04am
What's the 14 day shine challenge? None of the hundreds of Panteen comercials I've seen mention this. Are you discussing the pro-V line in the white bottles or the "gold collection" in the smaller bottles? I've never used the shampoo but I do use the conditioner "for dry hair" because I want to prevent split ends and breakage so that my hair needs trims less often. But the shine challenge sounds intriguing. Just use it for 14 days? In a row? I usually never shampoo 2 days in a row.
Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:05am
Hi Reena,I mean the Pro-V range in the white bottles. It's understandable you haven't heard of the 14 day challenge before, cos I come from a different part of the world (Malaysia) that's why, I think the advertising there is different. What the 14 day thingy means is that from 'bad, lousy hair', after 2 weeks of using Pantene shampoo (I suppose it doesn't mean washing everyday!) regularly, hair improves dramatically with shine and better condition. Well the promoters here are so confident of it that they claim to be willing to refund if you don't get happy, shiny hair by the 14th day!Hmmm well don't ask me whether it works cos I don't use it, but they do have several testimonies on the TV ads.
Kacee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kacee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:05am
I use to use pantene a lot because I loved the way it made my hair shiny and stuff, but then after a while, my hair started to get very dry and dull and lots and lots of split ends and it felt waxy, and was shedding too much.I still wanted to use it because of the way it made my hair soft and silky and shiny, but I finally quit and started using shampoo'slike Shampure and Aussie's Mega shampoo or Nature's Gate.I still got the same softness and shine but this was adding vitamins to my hair, not retracting them. And you know what? it still, to this day hasn't felt stringy and hardly any split ends.It especially doesn't strip my hair or cause it to fall out.So its kinda a waste of money to do that fourteen day trial thing.Go with what the others said because Pantene is just not worth it.Even though it appears to at first.:)
Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:05am
hi Kacee,well it just goes to show what has been suspected all along - how misleading shampoo ads are, that they don't inform consumers about the side effects of their products! (but of course not, unless they visit long hair sites full of useful info)I am glad you are getting healthier results with other brands.I hope to be able to use Aveda some day too when I get a credit card :)
angi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:07am
> hi Kacee,> well it just goes to show what has been suspected all> along - how misleading shampoo ads are, that they> don't inform consumers about the side effects of their> products! (but of course not, unless they visit long> hair sites full of useful info)> I am glad you are getting healthier results with other> brands.> I hope to be able to use Aveda some day too when I get> a credit card :)
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:08am
I have been using Panteene Pro-V for about three months now and it has not damamged my hair and I even blow dry every day! Maybe I just have hair of steel or something. Another great shampoo/conditioner I have found is called CitriShine and is available at most grocery stores and stores like Target.regina
wild orhcid salon san luis obispo
Ashling Myst View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashling Myst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:09am
> I use to use pantene a lot because I loved the way it> made my hair shiny and stuff, but then after a while,> my hair started to get very dry and dull and lots and> lots of split ends and it felt waxy, and was shedding> too much.> I still wanted to use it because of the way it made my> hair soft and silky and shiny, but I finally quit and> started using shampoo's> like Shampure and Aussie's Mega shampoo or Nature's> Gate.> I still got the same softness and shine but this was> adding vitamins to my hair, not retracting them. And> you know what? it still, to this day hasn't felt> stringy and hardly any split ends.> It especially doesn't strip my hair or cause it to> fall out.> So its kinda a waste of money to do that fourteen day> trial thing.> Go with what the others said because Pantene is just> not worth it.> Even though it appears to at first.> :)No Way!!!!!! That same thing has been happening to me! I never thought it could be my shampoo...guess I should have. I take heart medication, and my mom said that was what was causing my hair to fall out and get real dry. I am trying to grow it out, but it looks horrible. It is all dry and ratty, and broken. guess I'll have to find a different shampoo...
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:30am
I agree with this. I was using Pantene severeal years ago and noticed some breakage after more than a year after using their shampoos and conditioners. It always starts out great withthis product, then "stuff" happens! I don't agree 100% with the Ammonium Sulfate advice, it's actually one of the more gentle detergents (rather than Sodium LaurylSulfite, which IS very drying and harsh)-and the next gentle would be Sodium Laureth Sulfite. I read this information in a book by Paula Begoun titled "Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me!" and it's available through this sight on the "Book Review" section.Also, can anyone tell me why the company that makes Pantene would WANT to put in a nail solvent ingredient(AMMONIUM XYLENSOLFANATE)?
helene View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:30am
When I first started using Pantene I thought it was the miracle product....For 2 years it worked great, but then my hair started getting broken, waxy, just like the other people said. I thought it might be a result of Paul Mitchell's Volumizer that I had been using but after reading these responses I figure it's the Pantene. Oh, but I use the conditioner and not the shampoo, but I'm sure they use a lot of the same ingredients. So be careful!
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:31am
Too true. I started noticing negative side effects towards the end of the 4th month I'd been using it. now I have started using ARTec and will never go back to Pantene Pro-V as long as I live.Regina
wild orhcid salon san luis obispo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic