Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTo William..please respond!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To William..please respond!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:10am
I have naturally curly hair that I relax.....I also> color it. I realize that you need to wait in between> relaxing and coloring and I was wondering exactly how> long. And I was also wondering if it's safe to use a> store bought relaxer kit for my hair. The first time I> went to a salon and had it done. But it's SO> expensive. Most of the brands I've seen are for> african american's hair. But I did see one that did'nt> say that it was for african hair.....does that mean> it's ok for me to use. Also.....if you has any good> moisterising tips....I'd love to hear them!> Thanks, Melissa
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:10am
> I have naturally curly hair that I relax.....I alsoIN RESPONSE TO MELISSA: Since you have already straightened your hair at least once and colored it, I am assuming that you are talking of straightening the "new growth" at the scalp area, and then recoloring the new growth to match. Not knowing whether your hair is bleached or just single process color has been used, I will give you some general guidelines. Normally, hair that is to be permed or relaxed,is colored afterward of the perming or straightening, usually about a 2 week waiting period to be safe, and then only after an intensive conditioning program. Usually straightening products for "black hair" specifically are slightly more "aggressive" than other non-specific use chemical preparations. I would suggest a deep conditioning program of Redken PPT + Intense + wheat germ oil (avail. at health food stores.) Put on shampooed hair and wrap a bath towel around your head (to hold in heat) for 1 hour. Rinse with cool water. Repeat as often as ness. Alternate Joico K-PAK with the Redken Intense conditioner, mix in equal proportions and heat in a microwave until just warm, and apply. To Protect Hair that already is colored/relaxed while doing the roots use a haircolor brush and brush a heavy body conditioner such as Wella Kolestral on and then proceed to apply relaxer or color to the root area only. On long hair you need a friend to be your stylist and process only in sections until you are more experienced at this "sectioning and applying" product process. Take careful note of how long it takes to properly process the color or relaxer. A "test strand is highly reccomended for either process. william
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic