Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtextured hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jamila sunjata View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamila sunjata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: textured hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:14am
I have read all of the messages here but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on caring for african american hair. It is much more difficult to manage and growing it out is twice the effort. If anyone has any advice PLEASE respond
Kendia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:14am
I have African American hair and I stopped relaxing it about 5 years ago. It is very hard to manage but I'm learning about my hair all the time. I currently wash it about 2x a week with a conditioning shampoo and detanlge under running water. I use Arrow's conditioner to detangle and then I add a reconstuctor and then ( I know this is a lot) I use another heavy conditioner and I leave that in. I just comb it back into a braind and because of the excessive curly, kinkyness no one would know that is in the middle of my back, everyone assumes it is shoulder length, but I don;t mind because it is healthy.There are a couple of web sites by African American women about caring for your hair to maximize it's growth and health. One is Wanakee and she has a free booklet that she will send you. Another I can't remember the name of but if you search in the engines for "Black + hair + grow* + complicate" you should find her. Good luck and please tell me anything you may find. I understand the challenge.
jamila sunjata View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamila sunjata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:15am
thank you so much, but i already use wanakee. it works miracles on my hiar when it is relaxed. i stopped relaxing my hair about three months ago. I am trying to grow out all chemicals completely and my new growth is so thick the shampoo wont even reach my scalp. I will check out the website though. Did wanakee make your hair grow down your back or is your hair naturally long because mine isnt now and wanakee didnt do much for the length
Leilani View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leilani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:15am
Hi Jamila,I completely understand your dilemma. The Hair Boutiqueposts some really great info on hair care and some reallygreat tips. However, sometimes the questions and information on extremely textured, or tightly coiled hair are pretty scarce. Let me offer some tips that may be of some help. Hot oil treatments can work well for really dry/curly hair types. I use them occasionally, but really would like to do them WEEKLY when I shampoo my hair (which by the way is ridiculously thick and about mid-back in length.) They help to keep hair from being brittle and unmanageable. The drier your hair is, the more prone it is to break during combing, brushing, etc. I have honestly tried many professional brand shampoos and conditioners recommended for textured or curly dry hair. I have found that shampoos and conditioners with some oils in them work best for me. I seriously try to avoid ANY products with alcohol denat or SD alcohol in them. These will definitely dry your hair out if used too often and believe me, for hair like ours this is emphasized to the hilt. Other types of alcohol are actually not so damaging to your hair. Sorry I can't give you the proper names. I always use a comb with wide teeth and it is also soooo.... important to deep condition your hair often to keep some moisture in it. Equally important is to get regular trims -- about every 6-8 weeks is ample. Take care of the ends of your hair by ALWAYS combing gently starting at the ends and working your way to the scalp. Be patient and your hair will will be healthier and in the long run, easier to manage.Sorry it's so long. Just wanted to offer as much advice as possible without writing 2 books.Sincerely hope it helps and good luck!Leilani
Leilani View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leilani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:15am
I have heard of Wanakee's wonderful products and the testimonials of her customers. I also have the pamphlet and styling guide she uses for her own very long hair. Unfortunately, no product alone can make anyones hair grow. Have you heard of the book "Good Hair"? This book is EXCELLENT for black women who are tired of the chemicals that so oftern damage our hair. It contains ways and means of styling african-american hair in very attractive styles that don't rely on chemicals or straight hair.Jamila, I have always had very thick hair that was past my shoulders. It was always pressed with a hot comb to style. I had never used any chemicals, perms, or relaxers in it so you know that I feel you when you say the shampoo won't reach the scalp. My hair has grown 6-7 inches since I started styling it in natural styles from the book "Good Hair". Two years ago I had my hair texturized so that the comb-out and styling process would be a little easier. As I mentioned in an earlier message, my hair is now mid-back in length and my goal is to grow it to my waist. I believe I can achieve this even though I have naturally kinky/ excessively curly hair. It can be done through learning more about our hair and how to care for it without using so much heat or none at all. Look at dreadlocks!Check out the book because I am sure the contents within can give you some assistance with how you can care for your wonderful hair.Don't give up and keep us posted on your progress!Leilani
Kendia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:15am
I have actually never used any of Wanakee's stuff but I ordered her pamphlet years ago when I saw her add.I too am not using any type of chemical on my hair but it has taken me this long to realize how to deal with my hair.I had to learn to be more careful and condition it more.It's a long process but the results are worth it and like Leilani I want to grow my hair to my waist.By the way can anyone name a really good conditioner?By the way Leilani who writes "Good Hair" I would like to get a hold of this book.I need some more styles. Right now I just pull it back in a bun.As I work with it and condition it more the curl is relaxing more.My sister who has extrememly kinky hair says the same.Let us know how you fare.Kendia
jamila View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:16am
I have just decided to grow my hair out using extensions or braids. It worked for my sister. She had braids the whole time she was in the army and her hair grew down to her bra line. I experimented and found a REALLY good coniditioner for kinky hair is creme of nature detangling conditioner shampoo. Try it. It leaves your hair really soft and shiny and it doesnt break off if you comb it while it is wet.
jamila View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:16am
Thank you so much for all of your advice. I will try to find that book. In the meantime I will keep my hair braided. I really hope I find the book because I like styling my hair, something that braids don't allow me to do much of. Thanks again and I will definately keep you posted.Jamila
Kendia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:16am
Hmmm Creme of Nature. I've heard of them. I'll give it a try.I got really interested in LM Longhairs stuff. It sounds so nicebut I'm not ready to spend that kind of money if I'm just experimenting.The shampoo I use now is one I used when I had a relaxer. I don't even rememberthe name but it comes in a pink/lavender bottle and it's foruse after you rinse out the relaxer. I like it because it really conditionsmy hair so it's easier to comb. I find the more time I take with myhair the less breakage. Now I'm also looking for a good widetooth comb. I've also been giving myself trims every two months.I think I'm really seeing some improvment and growth.It's really nice to know I'm not the only one out there goingnatural and trying to grow my hair long. Do you condition your hair inbetween washes with anything special? This question also is for you Leilani I would really like to know all your styling products and what has worked for you and what hasn't. It sounds like you have found a system that works and you're going for optimum growth now.Kemi
jamila View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
I deep condition my hair with Always Chem Repair once a month. It is supposed to end split ends and breakage after the initial treatment and it does, but you have to leave it in for an hour. It doesnt leave your hair very silky or shiny though. I usually use my creme of nature shampoo because you dont lose as much hair when you comb. I don't blow dry my hair unless I have to go outside, even then I keep my setting on warm or cool air. Right now I wear extensions. It is good to leave your hair alone for about three months or so to give it a chance to really recover from chemicals and everyday styling damage. Try cornrows or twists or box braids if you don't want extensions. I think giving your hair a break is the best thing you could do for it. Because the chemicals are growing out and natural hair is stronger ( as you know chemically treated hair is stripped) it will appear to grow faster. Also your hair wont break because you are not damaging it everyday with heat and everyday styling. If you've noticed I have been reading up on black hair, but I have yet to find that book. I will try to keep my extensions in for about three or four months. If you have any other questions, you know where to find me.
Leilani View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leilani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:19am
The book "Good Hair" was written by Lonnice Brittenaum Bonner, (not sure about the spelling of the second name).If I am not mistaken, there is a review of it here on the HAIRBOUTIQUE'S BOOK REVIEWS. I believe you can also purchase it on this site. I have seen it in popular bookstores too.A few conditioners that I like are: Nexus Humectress, Clairol Frizz Control, Dark & Lovely Moisture Therapy Conditioner and just about anything with a concentration of 2 or more oils. I also use Aussie Slip Detangler for my comb out during the wash. It is EXCELLENT! What do you use to condition your hair?Kendia, just to warn you ahead of time, never in life had I received so many compliments on my hair than when I began to style it with styles from this book. I was'nt looking for any comments, I just wanted to create attractive stylesafter certain activities like swimming or heavy workouts ---without using chemicals. As black women, many of us have been slaves to straightening our hair. I am so glad that I discovered that my natural hair can look just as gorgeous (if not more so) as it is when is straightened.More power to you girl!Keep us posted.LeilaniOh, and thanks for the tip
Kendia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:21am
Leilani I know the book you are talking about! I had checked it out from the library a few years ago when I was first looking for things to do with my hair.I did like the book. Maybe I should take another look at it.I do wear the chignon thing. And every once in a while I do a french twist.I have her other book Kitchen Beautician.Currently I use a conditioner my sister makes(among other things)She does this little soap business and I talked her into making me some stuff for my hair.I like it because I can put it on any time to condition my hair.I also use a hair oil she makes.My hair is so dry I'm always putting stuff on it to keep it moisturized.I have noticed since I've been taking extra care of it it has grown a little more.Past 'the wall' I say because it always seems to stop growing at a certain point.You say you're growing your hair to your waist?Please tell me when you get there because I want to know that it's possible.That is my goal too but my hair is fine and kinky, not a good combination.I have hope though and it's great to see I'm not the only one with this goal.You also keep me posted on any good finds etc.Kendia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic