Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStyle Suggestions for Wavy Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeanie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Style Suggestions for Wavy Hair?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:15am
My hair is wavy, goes about 6 inches past my shoulders, and is one length. With no layers in it, it lies flat most of the time. I don't think bangs would be a good idea...my forehead is only about 1" from hairline to eyebrows! I've decided against chopping it off short, and have decided against a bob cut. I'm looking for a style that keeps the length long, but is somewhat low maintenance, but with some style. Any suggestions would be great! Jeanie
Erica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:15am
Have you tried rag-curls or pin-curls? I've found that I can wash my hair in the evening, let it dry partly (for about 20-30 minutes) so that it is barely damp, and roll it in pin curls before going to bed. When I wake up, it is usually ready! Sometimes I have to use the blow dryer for 10 minutes before taking out the pins. The nice thing is that the curls will last for 2-3 days, which is nice because if you're like me, it really dries out my hair to wash it every day--so I usually do every other day instead. Good luck!
hillary View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:16am
I can totally sympathize with you. i have wavy, thick hair that i used to wear really long. now it's really short and is pretty low maintenance. i wore it in a bab with bangs for a while, but i had to blow it dry. i wore the "rachel" cut for a while and that was easy. if you cut some layers in it. not real chunky, but not feathery. tell the sytlist that you want the layers somewhere between those two. you should take off at least about 3 inches. your hair with have more volume and it will be easy to deal with and still look good. i know this from personal experience. i really like that cut. iwore it about shoulder length. i have to say though that i love my short hair, but it suits my personality. or you could go for a short layered bob, which is always fun, if you just let it go wavy, kinda like a meg ryan cut. good luck
Mikel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:16am
I bet your wavy hair is pretty at that length! I had to get a perm to get a wave in my hair, which is a couple of inches shorter than yours. And I'm trying to grow out MY bangs! Don't cut your hair until you've tried some of the long hair styles that are shown on this website. Karen's recent articles for holiday ideas are also helpful--some of the more simple styles could be used every day.You don't say if you're having problems with your current hairstyle. Are you just bored with it? Maybe trying a few different ways to wear it will cheer you up if you are bored and will prevent you from cutting it when you might not really need to! Good luck!> My hair is wavy, goes about 6 inches past my> shoulders, and is one length. With no layers in it, it> lies flat most of the time. I don't think bangs would> be a good idea...my forehead is only about 1"> from hairline to eyebrows! I've decided against> chopping it off short, and have decided against a bob> cut. I'm looking for a style that keeps the length> long, but is somewhat low maintenance, but with some> style. Any suggestions would be great! Jeanie
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:16am
> My hair is wavy, goes about 6 inches past my> shoulders, and is one length. With no layers in it, it> lies flat most of the time. I don't think bangs would> be a good idea...my forehead is only about 1"> from hairline to eyebrows! I've decided against> chopping it off short, and have decided against a bob> cut. I'm looking for a style that keeps the length> long, but is somewhat low maintenance, but with some> style. Any suggestions would be great! JeanieTo Jeanie; Many times wavy hair does not have quite enough curl to get the "Julia Roberts" look or will not hold it without frizzing out if it is fine textured. If your hair is medium to thick textured, you can French braid it when slightly damp, using a light hold gel or pomade to achieve a more polished look, and then take it down and wear it with the waves and curls this will create for the following day. If this is not your idea of enough change, have the back blunt cut in a slightly rounded shape and then have a FEW very light LONG layers cut in ONLY the hair that grows from the crown. These should follow the shape of the "rounded back" shape and start at just below the shoulders and graduate to within 1 inch of the length in the back. When having the back length cut, insist only removing about an inch from the center back and rounding the corners with a slow arc from the center back. When done with your "chin on your chest" head position the stylist should only remove about 2 inches from the corners of the back. To style, gently towel dry, while holding your head forward, finger combing any tangles, spray with a light hold gel, scrunching the roots to encourage curl, and flip your head backwards. Your hair will literally "fall into place" with only very minimal finger combing only. William
Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:16am
I've got thick wavy hair as well and already have the rounded back shape with layers (although far too many) to boot. What is the purpose of this special shape in your advice to Jeanie? This style hasn't done anything for my hair although the layers certainly curl with a mean streak!
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:16am
> I've got thick wavy hair as well and already have the> rounded back shape with layers (although far too many)> to boot. What is the purpose of this special shape in> your advice to Jeanie? This style hasn't done anything> for my hair although the layers certainly curl with a> mean streak!Re; Rounded shape;When long hair is cut straight across the bottom it will usually try to seperate into clumps or uneven 'bunches' when viewed from the back. When trimming long hair usually a straight cut is made across the back to remove bad ends or adjust the desired length. Then, a softly rounded shape is cut in. Mind you, that this is a very slight rounding of the back, not, a really round shape. To picture this only about 2 inches is removed from the outside corners max. and both sides are uniformly blended to the center point of the back in a gentle arc. This is not to be confused with a "V" cut where the hair is cut in an exagerated V shape. The head is positioned with the chin on your chest when cutting and a precise center part, with the hair very carefully combed thru flat before cutting, with as many sections as ness to work with the thickness of the hair. This shape works well on straight or curly hair and gives a shape that will not seperate into clumps, when styled with a minimal amount of styling products. Unfortunatly far too many stylists "over do" the layering on long hair and the result is what it sounds like that you got at your last hair cut. William
Paula Lehrke View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Lehrke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:16am
> Have you tried rag-curls or pin-curls? I've found that> I can wash my hair in the evening, let it dry partly> (for about 20-30 minutes) so that it is barely damp,> and roll it in pin curls before going to bed. When I> wake up, it is usually ready! Sometimes I have to use> the blow dryer for 10 minutes before taking out the> pins. The nice thing is that the curls will last for> 2-3 days, which is nice because if you're like me, it> really dries out my hair to wash it every day--so I> usually do every other day instead. Good luck!First thing that popped out at me in your letter was your mention of a low forhead. Often that is accompanied with a disproportionately longer or larger lower half of face. If that is the case, tapering the sides with the hairline hair beginning at or slightly above chin lengh, graduatiing down to the desired lengh in back, helps to shorten and slenderise the jaw/cheek area. Then use a round brush or something else to turn the ends inward finishes it off nice. Video imaging is a wonderful way to discover the most flattering shapes for your face. It can be really enlightening to see how different lines can really change the over all illusion. Key is to not just pick styles you like, but to pick the most diverse possibilities in shape and line to just see how they affect the proportions of your face. Sometimes this phenomena causes people to change their mind on what styles they prefer.
Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:17am
> Re; Rounded shape;> When long hair is cut straight across the bottom it> will usually try to seperate into clumps or uneven> 'bunches' when viewed from the back. When trimming> long hair usually a straight cut is made across the> back to remove bad ends or adjust the desired length.> Then, a softly rounded shape is cut in. Mind you, that> this is a very slight rounding of the back, not, a> really round shape. To picture this only about 2> inches is removed from the outside corners max. and> both sides are uniformly blended to the center point> of the back in a gentle arc. This is not to be> confused with a "V" cut where the hair is> cut in an exagerated V shape. The head is positioned> with the chin on your chest when cutting and a precise> center part, with the hair very carefully combed thru> flat before cutting, with as many sections as ness to> work with the thickness of the hair. This shape works> well on straight or curly hair and gives a shape that> will not seperate into clumps, when styled with a> minimal amount of styling products. Unfortunatly far> too many stylists "over do" the layering on> long hair and the result is what it sounds like that> you got at your last hair cut. William
Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:17am
Yes, I got far too many layers at the ends. The shortest 'long layer' is right to my nose-level, and my hair (longest) length is about an inch below the collarbone, ie where the arch of the rounded shape meets in the centre. This layering is very harshly done on the left side of my head and on most bad hair days, the dried layers resemble 'the Hack' like what Trevor Sorbie of the UK invented. As you can imagine, my layers are about half the length of my hair. If I'd like to keep my length as is, what do you suggest I do on my next trim? Thank you very much.
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:17am
> Yes, I got far too many layers at the ends. The> shortest 'long layer' is right to my nose-level, and> my hair (longest) length is about an inch below the> collarbone, ie where the arch of the rounded shape> meets in the centre. This layering is very harshly> done on the left side of my head and on most bad hair> days, the dried layers resemble 'the Hack' like what> Trevor Sorbie of the UK invented. As you can imagine,> my layers are about half the length of my hair. If I'd> like to keep my length as is, what do you suggest I do> on my next trim? Thank you very much.TO CHRISTINE; CORRECTIVE CUTTING PLAN; After reviewing your series of responses there is no doubt that you got "HACKED" on your last haircut! However don't shave your head yet! On your next visit for a trim you can do this to help, have your (new stylist I hope!) seperate your layers out from each section of hair and carefully "blunt cut" only the previously layered hair just enough to remove dead ends. DO NOT let him/her cut into more of your longer hair, as in creating more layers. Try to remove the same amount from the overall length as is removed from the layers as long as it is not excessive. Try to trim only the absolute minimum from the front and side layers especially. (The shorter the layers are the easier they want to curl up because of the less weight/length pulling on them.) To try to tame the curlier ones spray with a good spray gel and blow dry only enough to tame them over a round brush gently, please as not to frizz them out. Sometimes a leave in conditioner will also help tame a 'wild head', it may seem a little heavy but, the results will warrant the hassle until it grows out , rather than a short cut. Keep the same trimming routine up until you get your shortest layers about 2 inches below the shoulders. (It will take a while, be patient! Get some Redken "GLASS" from a good salon, use sparingly, this will work wonders! william
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic