Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDirt=Growth???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jamila View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dirt=Growth???
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:22am
A friend of mine told me today that when she grew her hair out she kept it pulled back in a bun everyday( like I do) and took it down only to wash it. She kept her hair like this for about a year or two. I have been wearing my hair up for four years and my hair is still shoulder length. Her hair is down to her bra line. When I asked her what I was doing wrong she said that she didnt wash her hair as often as I do. She said she only washed her hair every two weeks or so. Sometimes even once a month. I had heard from my grandmother that completely natural hair, meaning no chemicals at all, not even shampoo grows faster, because even something like shampooing can break hair off. Is it true? Isnt there some way to grow hair longer without breaking hair off?
Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:22am
hi Jamila, hair growth probably differs for different people at different rates. If it is any help to you, my hairdresser advised me not to tie up my hair often - she said that would cause a lot of my hair to drop off (which it did). I now don't tie up my hair, except when showering, and the results are that less hair falls. Apparently, hair needs to 'breathe' when it is not tied up. Maybe something to do with circulation to the scalp. Tying hair up often also might cause the hairline to recede in the long term due to hair pulling.I also don't think dirt=growth cos the oils and sebum trapped on your scalp (from not washing) would block the hair roots and be a hindrance to hair growth. I have read many times that a clean healthy scalp is essential for good hair growth. If you like to shampoo often, do use a mild shampoo. I have heard tales about people believing shampooing often makes the hair grow faster, but I don't know if this is totally accurate.
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:22am
I'm inclined to agree with Christine. Washing often stimulates growth. Those things about wearing up and leaving dirty are wivestales. Afraid hair tendancies are chalked mostly up to genetics. I beg hairbotique would have some suggestions on tricking mother nature a little and extending the ammount your hair is able to grow. Ask Karen
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:23am
I think you friend and grandmother were onto something, but the faster growth had nothing to do with dirt. The less hair breaks or falls out the faster it grows. The less one handles his or her hair, the less it will break and fall out. I believe it is the handling of hair during shampoos (and combing and styling)that slows the growth, not the chemicals. Also, it is best not to tie back hair to tightly as this can lead to breakage.
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:23am
Everyone's hair grows according to their own genes. Wearing your hair up for weeks at a time and not washing it ..is gross. But I must add that wearing your hair up and the effects of breakage vary in people. Some people can wear their hair up everyday with no harmful results. It's how you take care of it and whether you tightly pull on it..etc. I think the easiest hairdo on your hair to get it to grow is a frenchbraid or regular braid. It doesn't pull on your roots and your hair doesn't go through much wear and tear while being in a braid. How you take care of your hair and genes play the biggest role in how your hair grows longer. You have to take very good care of it.. no brushing when wet.. using good quality shampoo/conditioners. Also scalp massages.. etc. Get a wide tooth comb... ever since I switched to this method I do not experience split ends. Take care and visit the Long Hair Site for support in growing your hair longer.. www.tlhs.org best regards.. CherA friend of mine told me today that when she grew her> hair out she kept it pulled back in a bun everyday(> like I do) and took it down only to wash it. She kept> her hair like this for about a year or two. I have> been wearing my hair up for four years and my hair is> still shoulder length. Her hair is down to her bra> line. When I asked her what I was doing wrong she said> that she didnt wash her hair as often as I do. She> said she only washed her hair every two weeks or so.> Sometimes even once a month. I had heard from my> grandmother that completely natural hair, meaning no> chemicals at all, not even shampoo grows faster,> because even something like shampooing can break hair> off. Is it true? Isnt there some way to grow hair> longer without breaking hair off?
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:23am
> A friend of mine told me today that when she grew her> hair out she kept it pulled back in a bun everyday(> like I do) and took it down only to wash it. She kept> her hair like this for about a year or two. I have> been wearing my hair up for four years and my hair is> still shoulder length. Her hair is down to her bra> line. When I asked her what I was doing wrong she said> that she didnt wash her hair as often as I do. She> said she only washed her hair every two weeks or so.> Sometimes even once a month. I had heard from my> grandmother that completely natural hair, meaning no> chemicals at all, not even shampoo grows faster,> because even something like shampooing can break hair> off. Is it true? Isnt there some way to grow hair> longer without breaking hair off?Hi, Jamila!You and I have "talked" before and I have to say that I definitely agree with the ladies here. You need to wash your hair to keep your scalp clean. I don't understand the relationship between keeping your hair in a bun and growth. I have to agree with Cher that a braid minimizes breakage less than a bun. That is, if you are choosing hair styles for that purpose. Personally, I do not like to wear a bun for a long period of time--never over a year's time-because the heat builds up at the crown of my head.I'd also like to say that I think that genetics is the primary factor in the length of your hair. I told you about my grandmothers. My great grandmother could wind a bun four times or more for her hair length. Her hair grew regardless of hair style. Similarly, my grandmother never wore her hair up. Her hair shed often, but she never lost length due to the shedding. It just seemed to be a constant turnover for growth. My hair never grew past my shoulders until I was 17.You say that you have been trying to maximize growth for a number of years--to get it past your shoulders. Ask yourself what's the longest my hair has ever been and what is the length of hair of the women in my family. Also, are you paying attention to your own head of hair as far as breakage and growth cycles. For example, last year I realized that my hair was growing super fast in the winter with very little breakage. After thinking about what was different, I realized that I had been eating lots of oranges, tangerines, and taking a vitamin C supplement.As Cher recommended, a wide-toothed comb works wonders on tangles and truly minimizes breakage.I will look forward to Karen's new discussion on nutrition and hair care. Despite what many say, I do believe that certain vitamins and supplements can help a person maximize hair growth, among other things:)Take care and all the best,Jade21
Kendia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:23am
Hi Jamila. What your friend was probably talking about was that fact that she didn't handle her hair as often so it had a chance to grow without a lot of breakage. African American Hair is extremely fragile and so people often think that washing their hair less often is making it grow when in reality it is the handling of their hair. I can say this because I've noticed and increase in growth in my hair but I wash it 2x weekly. I take much more care with my hair and I condition it a lot because African American hair is very dry. My hair is also completely free of relaxers or pressing and I do wear the infamous bun or braid every day except when I feel like a french roll. Unfortunately natural African American hair does not offer much in the way of styling but it is very healthy.Try taking more time and using a gentler hand with your hair but don't give up the shampoo for growth, it's not worth it.
Jennifer B. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:23am
Hi There!I understand that most of this thread is about african american hair. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents! I used to have this friend, who told me that her hair dresser told her to keep her hair in a french braid. This would help her hair grow. She would leave it in for a week at a time. She ended up with very long hair. She has since cut it short but I just thought it would be interesting to note that I have heard this theory for a white ladies hair as well. It's funny though.....My hair will not grow unless I leave it alone. Meaning my hair likes to stay down and I can only use certain convered bands to stick my hair up. Otherwise it will cut of the circulation of my hair from root to shaft and end up dry and brittle.
jamila View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:24am
Okay, can someone tell me how often you should wash your hair in order to minimize breakage but keep the clean? My scalp begins to itch after about three days so I usually wash my hair twice or three times a week. Is that why my hair is in such awful condition? Someone help me because I know everyone is getting sick of all of my stupid questions. I will leave you all alone once I find a product or method that promotes healthy hair growth, I promise.
Kendia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:24am
Ha ha. No question is stupid. You're seaking more information which is admirable. I say (and this is just me) when your hair starts to feel yucky and you want to wash it then by all means wash it. There's this method for washing hair on the long hair site, and you're supposed to stand under the shower head and then gently massage the shampoo into your hair without bunching it all on top of your head etc. I've been attmepting this for about the last two months. Also after I shampoo each time I use a conditioner that helps me comb through the tangles and then I follow up with a deep conditioner. Really if you take more time with your hair and treat it very gently,it will start to show in the health and growth of your hair. Also whatever oils youuse to condition it on a daily basis don't massage them into your scalp put them on your hair ends first. Try taking really good care of your ends and moisturixing them every day especially if you have a relaxer. I've been doing these things and a few more the last two months and I'm noticing a few inches added onto my hair. Also try taking a multiple vitamin everyday. Keep me posted.
Marsha :-) View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marsha :-) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:24am
I was really interested in these posts being that last year I was in the same predicament. I am a girl of African American descent. For almost two years now, I have been growing my hair out of a relaxer. I now were no permanet chemicals in my in my hair. The reason I decided to do this was because my hair was very damaged due to a coloring and also the relaxers. I was grwoing it out gradually, but I had my hair pressed in January by a stylist who was not used to pressing hair and a large chunk in the middle of the back of my hair was burned off. I knew my mother wanted me to have long hair for my high school grduation so I tried to disguise it as best I could. On June 26th, I got it all cut off. My hair was almost waist-length and I had to get it cut a little above my shoulders.Since then I have been doing "hair research" to find out whatare the best methods and best products to keep my hair in good conditon and minimize breakage which will in turn lead to growth. I want fast growth, but I want it to look healthy as well.First of all the "old wives tale" of wearing you hair up is quite true. The reason being that most African American women have they're hair permantently relaxed to make it straight which alone causes the hair to be even more fragile and needs special care. The root of breakage lies here: many women when they wear they're hair down feel the need to use a curling iron for a quick style. Some do this almost daily! Ends can only take so much before they split, break, and just plain DIE! So when the hair is worn up, the ends get a chance at, let's call it LIFE...lol :-)! The trick it to find "safe" scrunchies. No elastics, or scrunchies bound by metal pieces. The kind that are only made or soft materials gathered and sewn together are the best choice. This weraing hair up also helps to keep ends from drying out which is a common problem. The less hair is exposed to these elements of style, the more you will notice growth.I do want to say that "keeping hair dirty to promote growth" is FALSE! Depending on how quickly your scalp builds up oils will determine how often your should wash your hair.I also want to say that "washing you hair everyday is not for everyone". Excessive washing does not make you hair grow any faster. Wash you hair when your scalp and hair need it.If you hair does best at twice a week washings...go for it! Once a week...go for that too! Perhaps every other day...more power to you! Whatever works best for you.Regular trims are also necessary to keep hair at its best. Many people believe "why should I cut my hair if I want it to grow?" The answer is: "so when it grows..you will notice"..lol. If you never trim your hair, it will inevitably split, maybe even more than you would have cut it.I would like to suggest a site with some good hair tips. I cannot suggest her products but she does have wonderful hair tips the URL is http://www.wanakee.comThe book: Good Hair : by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner also has some excellent tips.Someone, I belive Kendia, mentioned that African American hair is limited in styles, there are plenty and I'd love to share.Just wanted to let eveyone know that my hair is growing. It is a few inches past my shoulders. It would be longer but I have to cut off a couple inches to get it even because of my bad pressing experience. Be careful whom you trsut with a hot comb! J/KSorry this post is so long. If anyone would like to email me with any questions about products or anything please feel free to do so.-----Marsha :-)Marti280@aol.com
jennifer j View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:24am
Thank you Marsha, that was a WONDERFUL post. I really liked the URL as well... I really liked her discussion of our emotional relationships with our hair. I'm caucasian, but I have somewhat textured hair as well and while with proper care it falls in nice curls, when it's abused it gets nasty and frizzy and even matted. I've really found the discussions about african-american hair care on this forum to be helpful and interesting... and I'm sure I'm not the only one.-jennifer j
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:25am
> Okay, can someone tell me how often you should wash> your hair in order to minimize breakage but keep the> clean? My scalp begins to itch after about three days> so I usually wash my hair twice or three times a week.> Is that why my hair is in such awful condition?> Someone help me because I know everyone is getting> sick of all of my stupid questions. I will leave you> all alone once I find a product or method that> promotes healthy hair growth, I promise.Your questions are not stupid!! You just want to learn..You say your scalp starts to itch at about 3 days.. so it sounds like your hair is telling you when it's time to wash it. Everyone is different. I wash my hair every 2nd to 3rd day..depending on my hair to let me know it's time. I usually start to get an itchy scalp and the very top of my crown gets a bit oily. Everyone is different..there is no magic number on hair washings to suit everyone. Twice to three times a week is enough to keep your scalp clean. Go to your local healthfood store and buy some Jojoba oil. Gently massage some into your scalp ..working it down through the length of your hair. Leave this on for awhile then wash with your favorite line of shampoo/conditioner. Scalp massages do alot to stimulate your roots and also keeps your scalp in good condition. Have you tried any of the products that Karen has recommended? I have tried the Artec line and love it. My basic product line is Nature's Gate. I like changing between a handful of varieties and NG provides this for me. Test some good quality products out..have fun and experiment. Read Karen's articles on hair care.. Treat your hair with special care.. it will grow to it's own special length.. Good luck.. Cher~
Mimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:25am
> Have you tried Wanakee's Hair Products at www.wanakee.com?She has EXCELLENT products for black hair! I'm a black woman with long hair and I wash my hair twice a week (once my scalp starts to itch). One of the most important things to keeping the hair long is to 1. keep it clean 2. handle it gently 3. wear it up as often as possible and, most importantly 4. GET IT TRIMMED REGULARLY! Visit Wanakee's site. You'll learn a lot. - Mimi
jamila View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:25am
Yes, I have tried Wanakee, but unfortunately while my hair is completely natural, it doesn't do much for me because the shampoos don't reach my scalp. Besides, I am in college and although her products fix my hair, it breaks my pockets.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic