Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedswim cap question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jennifer j View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swim cap question
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:26am
I was just reading through "Ask Karen" and someone had asked about swim caps that don't pull at your hair. When I started swimming regularly I had the same problem, a cap that felt like a vice and was so tight at the hairline that it pulled out hair. The rubber ones can be similar to sticking a rubber band in your hair, yuck! I found a lycra swim cap (made by speedo) that's made out of regular bathing suit fabric that works really well. It doesn't keep my hair dry, but it does keep it out of both my face and the drain and it's comfortable and hair safe.-jj
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:26am
The cheap latex "racing swim caps " that are widely available will roll up and pull hair out as you remove them. They are very hard to put on and can be tight. The same goes for the silicon caps as far as ease to put on goes. Both leak ! The best swim caps I have found are the bubble crepe chin strap caps. They are made in sizes small,medium, and large by Watergear and Sprint Rothhammer.They are made of a very soft rubber and will not pull hair . These swim caps were originally made by Playtex and even during the 60's when there were lots of swim caps to pick from they were the most watertight. For a bit more protection they can be worn over a lycra or plain latex cap.For even more protection rub a bit of conditioner on the ends of your hair before slipping on a cap. To make a cap easier to slip on try rubbing corn starch inside it. It works!
Janna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:26am
I agree with Laura. It is best to wear the bubble crepe caps to protect your hair. I have worn then UNDER a cheap latax cap for extra protection with great results in a heavily chlorinated pool.In this case, buy the cheapest latex since you are wearing them over the more protective cap which is closest to your hair. You can buy the cheap latex caps on the net at Kiefer's.Janna> The cheap latex "racing swim caps " that are> widely available will roll up and pull hair out as you> remove them. They are very hard to put on and can be> tight. The same goes for the silicon caps as far as> ease to put on goes. Both leak ! The best swim caps I> have found are the bubble crepe chin strap caps. They> are made in sizes small,medium, and large by Watergear> and Sprint Rothhammer.They are made of a very soft> rubber and will not pull hair . These swim caps were> originally made by Playtex and even during the 60's> when there were lots of swim caps to pick from they> were the most watertight. For a bit more protection> they can be worn over a lycra or plain latex cap.For> even more protection rub a bit of conditioner on the> ends of your hair before slipping on a cap. To make a> cap easier to slip on try rubbing corn starch inside> it. It works!Related Link:Cheap Latex Caps
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:26am
Jennifer, Laura and Janna,Thanks for this topic. I get so many questions about swimming and hot to protect the hair from chemicals. While I can provide the appropriate answers of....rinse hair before and immediately after getting in the pool, use a good leave in conditioner...blah blah blah.....I always believe the BEST solution is to wear a bathing suit.Unfortunately most people resist the caps because...they look dorky, are too tight, rip hair out when putting on and taking off, come in ugley colors...etc etc.Thank you all for the great advice. I have included the Sprint Rothhammer site with the caps that Laura mentions. I am not sure where you can get them locally, but this is a good starting point...especially is you don't live in a big city.I encourage everyone to please post any additional tips or thoughts on this. You have no idea how many emails I get from people who had resisted the caps, didn't take any procautions and damaged their hair terribly. The key is a good cap and preventive measures. :-)Best wishes & thanks again for this great topic.Karen> The cheap latex "racing swim caps " that are> widely available will roll up and pull hair out as you> remove them. They are very hard to put on and can be> tight. The same goes for the silicon caps as far as> ease to put on goes. Both leak ! The best swim caps I> have found are the bubble crepe chin strap caps. They> are made in sizes small,medium, and large by Watergear> and Sprint Rothhammer.They are made of a very soft> rubber and will not pull hair . These swim caps were> originally made by Playtex and even during the 60's> when there were lots of swim caps to pick from they> were the most watertight. For a bit more protection> they can be worn over a lycra or plain latex cap.For> even more protection rub a bit of conditioner on the> ends of your hair before slipping on a cap. To make a> cap easier to slip on try rubbing corn starch inside> it. It works!Related Link:Sprint Rothhammer web site
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:27am
Here are some sources for the more watertight bubble crepe chin strap swim caps . SPRINT ROTHHAMMER 800-235-2156 WWW.sprintaquatics.com cap # 307 $5.99 sizes small med. large. Colors sm. med. white and multi-color,size large white,lt.blue,hot pink.....KASTAWAY SWIMWEAR 800-543-2763 WWW.kastawayswimwear.com Speedo bubble strap cap # 751169 cap size is medium colors,white,black,green..7.95. For local sources check Wal-Mart in summer season. Also check the small varity stores. Jantzen made these bubble crepe caps size medium in many colors the cap # is 421. The colorfull floral swim caps were still being made by Jantzen a year ago and were at Nordstrom stores for $11.00. They are not as watertight as the bubble crepe as they are strapless and the size is large. They can be worn over a bubble crepe cap for a watertight fun retro look!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:28am
Laura,Thank you so much. This has been a great thread and you have provided some great info. Thanks to Jennifer too.Best wishes,Karen> Here are some sources for the more watertight bubble> crepe chin strap swim caps . SPRINT ROTHHAMMER> 800-235-2156 WWW.sprintaquatics.com cap # 307 $5.99> sizes small med. large. Colors sm. med. white and> multi-color,size large white,lt.blue,hot> pink.....KASTAWAY SWIMWEAR 800-543-2763> WWW.kastawayswimwear.com Speedo bubble strap cap #> 751169 cap size is medium> colors,white,black,green..7.95. For local sources> check Wal-Mart in summer season. Also check the small> varity stores. Jantzen made these bubble crepe caps> size medium in many colors the cap # is 421. The> colorfull floral swim caps were still being made by> Jantzen a year ago and were at Nordstrom stores for> $11.00. They are not as watertight as the bubble crepe> as they are strapless and the size is large. They can> be worn over a bubble crepe cap for a watertight fun> retro look!
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic