Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSodium laureth sulfate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sodium laureth sulfate
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:35am
> Every shampoo that I have ever picked up and read the> ingredients have had sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium> lauryl sulfate,ammonium sulfate; etc, etc. What> shampoos are safe for the average consumer? I've heard> that it's just a marketing techique for shampoo makers> that don't add these ingredients to get everyone in an> uproar and buy their products. I've heard that the> ammonium LS isn't as harsh, but what I would like to> know is what shampoos on the market are actually good> for your hair!Hi, K!I don't know where you heard that not adding these ingredients was just a marketing technique. As you can see from the note that I left for Randy, I had problems with the sodium lauryl sulfate. The only reason that I looked elsewhere was because of a problem. Someone suggested to me that I could be allergic or extremely sensitive to SLS.I have raved and given much love to Aubrey Organics since I first came to Hair Boutique over a year ago now. None of Aubrey's shampoos contain the SLS or other commercial sudsing ingredients. As Holly mentioned, the chemicals are harsh and harsher. If you have a sensitive scalp or drier hair naturally, then these ingredients can spell trouble. Nevertheless, many people do not like Aubrey's shampoos since they are castile-based and some have found that they leave their hair like straw. In addition, they do not generate the same amount of suds as shampoos which are SLS-based.Since I found Aubrey's shampoos, I have also found others which do not contain SLS. Namely, Jason Naturals Tea Tree Shampoo which is heavenly. Jason's Tea Tree shampoo generates some serious suds, but I have found it not to irritate my scalp or to dry out my hair. It's Aubrey and Jason for me. I think I will run into others over the years.You asked which shampoos were safe and good for the average consumer. I would say some of the best are those made by Aubrey Organics. The products are truly natural and organic. As I mentioned, there are drawbacks like the low-sudsing. In addition, I would say that if someone is looking for a SUPERIOR conditioner, I would recommend Aubrey Organic's GPB or the Jojoba and Aloe Rejuvenating Conditioning Treatment. Moreover, the skin care products are second to none.One of the recommendations which Karen Shelton has made is to find a good hair routine and stick with it. With Aubrey's products, the routine is simple and the results are consistently excellent. Everyone has some budget to maintain. I don't mind spending a little more for Aubrey's products because I know what the results will be. No rebounding, no need to alternate to achieve the end, no hair botches. Now that I've found some discount places for the products, my budget isn't a concern.Happy Hunting and All the Best,Jade21
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:35am
Every shampoo that I have ever picked up and read the ingredients have had sodium laureth sulfate, ammoniumlauryl sulfate,ammonium sulfate; etc, etc. What shampoos are safe for the average consumer? I've heard that it's just a marketing techique for shampoo makers that don't add these ingredients to get everyone in an uproar and buy their products. I've heard that the ammonium LS isn't as harsh, but what I would like to know is what shampoos on the market are actually good for your hair!
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:35am
> Randy,> According to beauty product "cop" Paula> Begeuon(her books are reviewed on this sight), Sodium> Lauryl Sulfate> is a harsh ingredient-but Sodium LAURETH Sulfate,> Amonnium Lauryl Sulfate, and Ammonium Laureth Sulfate,> are gentle.> I strongly recommend reading her book "Don't Go> Shopping For Hair Care Products Without Me" for> further explanation of other harsh chemicals in> shampoos and other haircare products.> Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:34am
Randy,According to beauty product "cop" Paula Begeuon(her books are reviewed on this sight), Sodium Lauryl Sulfateis a harsh ingredient-but Sodium LAURETH Sulfate, Amonnium Lauryl Sulfate, and Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, are gentle.I strongly recommend reading her book "Don't Go Shopping For Hair Care Products Without Me" for further explanation of other harsh chemicals in shampoos and other haircare products.Holly
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:34am
> Hi:> I'm new to reading the ingredients on hair products. I> see some shampoos use sodium laureth sulfate, some> ammonium lauryl sulfate and some use sodium lauryl> sulfate. I see ARTec uses sodium laureth sulfate. What> are the recommendations.> RandySodium lauryl sulfate and its progeny are commercial sudsing agents used in most shampoos on the market. If you have dry hair or a sensitive scalp, you might want to avoid this ingredient. I haven't used a shampoo with this ingredient for almost two years. My scalp and hair appreciate my choice. I had a bad reaction after using Finesse shampoo for dry hair. I experienced a horrible case of "oily dandruff" or scurf and my scalp became so irritated that I drew blood a couple of times from scratching so much.Hope this helps.Jade21
Randy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:34am
Hi:I'm new to reading the ingredients on hair products. I see some shampoos use sodium laureth sulfate, some ammonium lauryl sulfate and some use sodium lauryl sulfate. I see ARTec uses sodium laureth sulfate. What are the recommendations.Randy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic