Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKaren or anyone, need good detangler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
niki View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karen or anyone, need good detangler
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:37am
I really need to find a good detangler or leave-in conditioner that I can use on my hair dry. I'm a bad sleeper so very often I wake up with my hair flying every which way (regardless of if I've worn a night cap or braided my hair) and when that happens I need something to put into my hair to help me detangle it. My normal method has been either to put lots of my normal conditioner in it, which means that I can't really style my hair because it's damp and which also leads to huge build up problems. The other thing I had tried was the Pantene leave-in conditioner which was okay at first but started to make my hair feel sticky. I've also used Kiwi oil, which helps me have an easier time detangling but also leaves my hair too oily. I have a relaxer and can't wash my hair more than once or twice a week cause otherwise it becomes very dry and brittle... Any suggestions?
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:37am
Hi there!Boy you do have a bit of a problem huh? The reason why the Pantene made your hair feel so brittle after a while is the downside effect of silicone build-up, and since you don't wash very often-- that's what happens. I used to blow my hair striaght all the time, and go two or three days without a shampoo, so I know where you're coming from. You really need to stay away from those leave-ins that have silicoe within the first five of the ingredients (that's my own rule). Have you tried ARTec Texture Creme? This elegent creme is a moisturizer and light styling aid in one. I use it to plump up my loose curls during the day. I just apply a small dollop and rub my palms together and then scrunch. I really like the moisturizing properties of this creme, its heavenly smell, and the fact that it is "weightless" and greaselss moisture. It is also silicone free (unless they are hiding in there-- but I don't think so). I would give this creme a try. I wish that I could use it on wet hair, but it's not heavy enough for good curl formation, but it is great on dry hair and gives my curl shiny pep!SherryI really need to find a good detangler or leave-in> conditioner that I can use on my hair dry. I'm a bad> sleeper so very often I wake up with my hair flying> every which way (regardless of if I've worn a night> cap or braided my hair) and when that happens I need> something to put into my hair to help me detangle it.> My normal method has been either to put lots of my> normal conditioner in it, which means that I can't> really style my hair because it's damp and which also> leads to huge build up problems. The other thing I had> tried was the Pantene leave-in conditioner which was> okay at first but started to make my hair feel sticky.> I've also used Kiwi oil, which helps me have an easier> time detangling but also leaves my hair too oily. I> have a relaxer and can't wash my hair more than once> or twice a week cause otherwise it becomes very dry> and brittle... Any suggestions?
Kara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:37am
I want to mention that I have used the Texture Cream on my fine yet abundant, straight hair, and it was terrible for me! All it did to my hair was make it stiff and greasy at the same time I realize that it may do different things for those with curly hair, but it was a disaster for me. I can't stand when I can "feel" the product in my hair, and I certainly could with this.Sorry to be the pooper, I just wanted to let others know.Kara> Hi there!> Boy you do have a bit of a problem huh? The reason why> the Pantene made your hair feel so brittle after a> while is the downside effect of silicone build-up, and> since you don't wash very often-- that's what happens.> I used to blow my hair striaght all the time, and go> two or three days without a shampoo, so I know where> you're coming from. You really need to stay away from> those leave-ins that have silicoe within the first> five of the ingredients (that's my own rule). Have you> tried ARTec Texture Creme? This elegent creme is a> moisturizer and light styling aid in one. I use it to> plump up my loose curls during the day. I just apply a> small dollop and rub my palms together and then> scrunch. I really like the moisturizing properties of> this creme, its heavenly smell, and the fact that it> is "weightless" and greaselss moisture. It> is also silicone free (unless they are hiding in> there-- but I don't think so). I would give this creme> a try. I wish that I could use it on wet hair, but> it's not heavy enough for good curl formation, but it> is great on dry hair and gives my curl shiny pep!> Sherry> I really need to find a good detangler or leave-in
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:37am
What is kiwi oil? Where did you get it? I am intrigued by that.Thanks,Clare> I really need to find a good detangler or leave-in> conditioner that I can use on my hair dry. I'm a bad> sleeper so very often I wake up with my hair flying> every which way (regardless of if I've worn a night> cap or braided my hair) and when that happens I need> something to put into my hair to help me detangle it.> My normal method has been either to put lots of my> normal conditioner in it, which means that I can't> really style my hair because it's damp and which also> leads to huge build up problems. The other thing I had> tried was the Pantene leave-in conditioner which was> okay at first but started to make my hair feel sticky.> I've also used Kiwi oil, which helps me have an easier> time detangling but also leaves my hair too oily. I> have a relaxer and can't wash my hair more than once> or twice a week cause otherwise it becomes very dry> and brittle... Any suggestions?
Clare
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:37am
Hi,OK...here are my fav products:I use Aveda's Beautifying Oil a couple of times a week right before I go to sleep. I apply a little bit to the ends of my hair and some dry spots, braid my hair and pin up the part with the oil so I don't stain the pillow cases. I have also found that if I put a towel down...that works too.The next morning I pick my hair out and make sure there are no tangles before hopping in my morning shower. I learned the hard way many years ago that it was terrible for me to wash my hair without detangling first.The second thing that I do is to wash my hair with one of my current favs....ARTec Smoothing w/ the matching conditioner OR Aveda Shampure w/ Curessence conditioner OR sometimes I use Aveda Chamomile & sometimes I use Nature's Gate...although not as often as the ARTec.I towel blot my hair and then detangle with one of the following:ARTec Kiwi Detangler & Leave in conditioner (love the smell)Aveda Curessence Spray (used that this morning)Joico (I like their version but it does tend to build up on my hair)Sometimes I will add a tiny blob of Aveda Elixer or I might apply some ARTec smoothing serum (I love that stuff) as an extra message.I air dry and off I go. No tangles.Hope that helps.I do try different things from time to time and I also like some of the Matrix products (which I am currently testing as per the advice of my stylist). I also love the Ouidad line (even though I only have wavy hair) and I like Phyto #7 which will detangle and condition all in one little glob.I think all hair is different and we just need to experiment.Best wishes,Karen> I really need to find a good detangler or leave-in> conditioner that I can use on my hair dry. I'm a bad> sleeper so very often I wake up with my hair flying> every which way (regardless of if I've worn a night> cap or braided my hair) and when that happens I need> something to put into my hair to help me detangle it.> My normal method has been either to put lots of my> normal conditioner in it, which means that I can't> really style my hair because it's damp and which also> leads to huge build up problems. The other thing I had> tried was the Pantene leave-in conditioner which was> okay at first but started to make my hair feel sticky.> I've also used Kiwi oil, which helps me have an easier> time detangling but also leaves my hair too oily. I> have a relaxer and can't wash my hair more than once> or twice a week cause otherwise it becomes very dry> and brittle... Any suggestions?
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:37am
Oh thank you, please don't feel bad about not having a good experience with a product. We need to hear both good and bad about products because every head of hair is different and everyone will experience a product very differently.One of my best male friends has very thin hair and he hates most of the stuff that I love on my thick, wavy hair. Jeff also has thick wavy hair and so usually some hair care product that I find I know he will love. He winds up stealing a lot of my products for his hair. :-)My other friend Michael, has very curly/wavy/coarse hair and he loves the ARTec volume products but does not like the ARTec smoothing. I personally don't like the volume as much because I don't need to add volume to my hair. I need to add softness.Please, feel free to make these comments. We need to hear them. OK?Best wishes,Karen> I want to mention that I have used the Texture Cream> on my fine yet abundant, straight hair, and it was> terrible for me! All it did to my hair was make it> stiff and greasy at the same time I realize that it> may do different things for those with curly hair, but> it was a disaster for me. I can't stand when I can> "feel" the product in my hair, and I> certainly could with this.> Sorry to be the pooper, I just wanted to let others> know.> Kara
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:38am
I second Karen's sentiments. One thing I don't like about magazines, as much fun as they are, is that they only tell you the good things about products, never the bad. No products are going to work for everyone and some don't work for anyone.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:38am
I'd like to add one additional thought (for what it's worth)Sometimes experimentation with how you use a given productpays off. You may want to try varying the amount of productthat you use (span the range from a tiny bit one day, to toomuch, another day, and then try amounts in-between on otherdays).Also, if your hair is long, different parts of it may havedifferent needs. I found the ARTec texture creme great formoisturizing my hair near the ends, but it didn't tame thefrizzies at the top of my head. But the ARTec smoothingserum does a great job of taming and smoothing the frizzieson top of my head, but not such a great job moisturizing.Likewise, the first time I used Aveda Curressence conditioner,I used too much and it made my hair seem greasy. I foundthat by using less, and being sure to rinse my hairthoroughly, it works very well for me.The key may be a willingness to exhaust the possibilitiesexperimenting with your use of a product before giving upon it.Hope this helps,Dave
David M Squires
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:38am
I read all of the other messages in this thread and sounds to me you nead a light but effective detanger to use on dry hair. Please consider one of these as they are neither heavy nor greasy: Alterna's spray shine or Aveda's spray shine brilliance. Whichever is easiest for you to access.They are almost identicle, but the Alterna has a more pleasant aroma. They will lightly lubricate the hair while it is dry, making it brush out easily yet they wont make your hair sticky or greasy or in nead of shampooing again. Plus, they will add the bonus of shine.
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:38am
Dave,I totally agree. You do have to try all kinds of things because every product and every head of hair and even every type of water system is different.Thanks for mentioning this.Best wishes,Karen> I'd like to add one additional thought (for what it's> worth)> Sometimes experimentation with how you use a given> product> pays off. You may want to try varying the amount of> product> that you use (span the range from a tiny bit one day,> to too> much, another day, and then try amounts in-between on> other> days).> Also, if your hair is long, different parts of it may> have> different needs. I found the ARTec texture creme great> for> moisturizing my hair near the ends, but it didn't tame> the> frizzies at the top of my head. But the ARTec> smoothing> serum does a great job of taming and smoothing the> frizzies> on top of my head, but not such a great job> moisturizing.> Likewise, the first time I used Aveda Curressence> conditioner,> I used too much and it made my hair seem greasy. I> found> that by using less, and being sure to rinse my hair> thoroughly, it works very well for me.> The key may be a willingness to exhaust the> possibilities> experimenting with your use of a product before giving> up> on it.> Hope this helps,> Dave
niki View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:38am
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was in the beauty store today and saw the Artec texture creme but I was confused as to which one I should buy-- there's a cream in a bottle that has a dispenser like lotion, then there was a cream in a jar and another cream "pomade"-- Also, they also said to use on freshly washed hair and I'm really looking for something I can use even if my hair is dry (since, as I mentioned before, I've found my relaxed hair dries out very quickly if I was it more than 1-2 times a week). Paula, where do you suggest I look for the Altera (sp?) that you suggested? The only place I know to get Aveda products is the salon I go to but it's not in a convenient location if I'm not purposely going there. Also, where would I find Jojoba oil? I've seen it mentioned around but don't know where to look for it. Thanks!
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:39am
> Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was in the> beauty store today and saw the Artec texture creme but> I was confused as to which one I should buy-- there's> a cream in a bottle that has a dispenser like lotion,> then there was a cream in a jar and another cream> "pomade"-- Also, they also said to use on> freshly washed hair and I'm really looking for> something I can use even if my hair is dry (since, as> I mentioned before, I've found my relaxed hair dries> out very quickly if I was it more than 1-2 times a> week). Paula, where do you suggest I look for the> Altera (sp?) that you suggested? The only place I know> to get Aveda products is the salon I go to but it's> not in a convenient location if I'm not purposely> going there. Also, where would I find Jojoba oil? I've> seen it mentioned around but don't know where to look> for it. Thanks!
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:39am
Oops, did I misspell Alterna? (as in alternative) You can call 1-888-4ALTERNA . they have a web page but it is down again. Rats! Their websight sucks, they nead help from Karen and Jeff. Jojoba oil is usually pretty easy to find in a natural or health food store. I use Aveda's jojoba compositons because they add a little other essential oil like Rose, or Arnica, and others. The aveda compositions that are mostly Jojoba are: Energizing Neutrients, Calming Neutrients, and Beaitifying Formula
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic