Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedperm for men

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: perm for men
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:42am
Okay, I have medium length dirty blond,wavy hair, and I've been straightening it with relaxers, potions, lotions etc for a while because I enjoy the straight look and feel a lot better. However the other night I just let it dry naturallly without any products and without using the hairdryer and must admit, it looked kind of good. However I'm afraid that all this time blow-drying and straightening has left it quite frizzy when dryed naturally. I remember a few years ago going to get my hair cut and the hairdresser asked me if I wanted a perm. I said no !! At that time, I pictured a perm as something which creates tight curls and dries out your hair. Anyway, I've heard that now they can do a perm to improve the condition of your hair, add volume, control etc. I 'd like to "re-define" the natural wave in my hair, possibly adding a bit of curls and of course a few hightlight, but have no idea what to ask for at the haird salon, or if this is even possible to do on a guy. I guess you could call me "perm ignorant" I've never had one, and at 20 years old, I'm thinking that maybe I should experiment with a perm. I guess I'm kind of confused, and if there are any perm experts out there, or anyone who could recommend what to do to my hair, please reply. My dream is to not have to blow dry it any more, but have a style that looks good and is easy to maintain...
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:42am
Hi there!My husband had his hair permed two weeks ago for the first time. He had poker straight hair and wanted the "edgy" GQ look, but b/c his hair was soooo straight he couldn't even get it to stand up. So in went the perm. I have to admit, when the rods first came out, I was like,"ah, a little tight?" So, we went home and washed it twice and it relaxed right away. Now, two weeks later it is just wavy-- but in all I still prefer his straighter hair. I guess because his hair was short and they had to use small rods-- it got kinda tight. But if your hair is longer, it might look better. I would suggest that you try one of those "Perms for a day" that you buy at Wal-Mart, that way you can see what the effect may be without being permanant. Good Luck!Sherry> Okay, I have medium length dirty blond,wavy hair, and> I've been straightening it with relaxers, potions,> lotions etc for a while because I enjoy the straight> look and feel a lot better. However the other night I> just let it dry naturallly without any products and> without using the hairdryer and must admit, it looked> kind of good. However I'm afraid that all this time> blow-drying and straightening has left it quite frizzy> when dryed naturally. I remember a few years ago going> to get my hair cut and the hairdresser asked me if I> wanted a perm. I said no !! At that time, I pictured a> perm as something which creates tight curls and dries> out your hair. Anyway, I've heard that now they can do> a perm to improve the condition of your hair, add> volume, control etc. I 'd like to> "re-define" the natural wave in my hair,> possibly adding a bit of curls and of course a few> hightlight, but have no idea what to ask for at the> haird salon, or if this is even possible to do on a> guy. I guess you could call me "perm> ignorant" I've never had one, and at 20 years> old, I'm thinking that maybe I should experiment with> a perm. I guess I'm kind of confused, and if there are> any perm experts out there, or anyone who could> recommend what to do to my hair, please reply. My> dream is to not have to blow dry it any more, but have> a style that looks good and is easy to maintain...
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:48am
> Okay, I have medium length dirty blond,wavy hair, and> I've been straightening it with relaxers, potions,> lotions etc for a while because I enjoy the straight> look and feel a lot better. However the other night I> just let it dry naturallly without any products and> without using the hairdryer and must admit, it looked> kind of good. However I'm afraid that all this time> blow-drying and straightening has left it quite frizzy> when dryed naturally. I remember a few years ago going> to get my hair cut and the hairdresser asked me if I> wanted a perm. I said no !! At that time, I pictured a> perm as something which creates tight curls and dries> out your hair. Anyway, I've heard that now they can do> a perm to improve the condition of your hair, add> volume, control etc. I 'd like to> "re-define" the natural wave in my hair,> possibly adding a bit of curls and of course a few> hightlight, but have no idea what to ask for at the> haird salon, or if this is even possible to do on a> guy. I guess you could call me "perm> ignorant" I've never had one, and at 20 years> old, I'm thinking that maybe I should experiment with> a perm. I guess I'm kind of confused, and if there are> any perm experts out there, or anyone who could> recommend what to do to my hair, please reply. My> dream is to not have to blow dry it any more, but have> a style that looks good and is easy to maintain...
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:48am
Adam,I'm a hair stylist and if you were in my chair I would tell you not to get a perm! First of all any time you use a chemical on your hair you will have some degree of damage and keeping in mind that you said your hair was a little frizzy from blowdrying it straight all the time and you relaxed it with a chemical relaxer?It's a big risk!My advise for you would be to get a decent trim,deep condition it twice a week for two weeks,and then when needed(super-charge conditioner by Paul Mitchell works wonders!).Take it easy on the blowdrying but if blowdrying is nessary "the cream" also by Paul Mitchell Protects your hair from potential damage and also works as a leave in conditioner.After that Adam, I am sure the result will be gorgeus, healthy, wavy hair!I hope this messege helped!let us know your decision.Your friend Jenn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic