Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcoconut oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coconut oil
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:46am
Hi, I've been hearing good things about using coconut oil on the hair. How does this work? Does it make the hair greasy like jojoba oil does? Do you use it lightly as a leave-in, or do you wash it out? How is it, compared to jojoba oil? Thanks, PD.
anita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:46am
> Hi, I've been hearing good things about using coconut> oil on the hair. How does this work? Does it make the> hair greasy like jojoba oil does? Do you use it> lightly as a leave-in, or do you wash it out? How is> it, compared to jojoba oil? Thanks, PD.I can't tell you what specifically coconut oil does for your hair except making it softer, shinier, and smelling good. However, I have heard the oils that contain Amla or Brahmi can maintain the color of black/dark hair. If you found jojoba to be too oily on your hair, coconut oil will be more so. Coconut oil is a "heavier" type of oil. The trick to any oil is to experiment w/ various amounts to find what's the right balance for you...ie will not be greasy on your head. Maybe w/ any oil, you shouldn't put any on your scalp but only on the dry areas of your hair.A note about coconut oil, look for it in Indo/Pakistani grocery stores. It can be nicely perfumed (Jasmine or Amla) and cheap. Also search "monoi" on the web. These are Tahitian coconut oils that come in a variety of scents and are extremely wonderful for the hair. I recommend the Tiki or Reva brands. Maybe you should try using the oil as a message to your scalp only before washing your hair and then put a small amount on the dry areas when you style your hair for the day.Anita
hi
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:46am
> A note about coconut oil, look for it in> Indo/Pakistani grocery stores. It can be nicely> perfumed (Jasmine or Amla) and cheap. Also search> "monoi" on the web. These are Tahitian> coconut oils that come in a variety of scents and are> extremely wonderful for the hair. I recommend the Tiki> or Reva brands. Maybe you should try using the oil as> a message to your scalp only before washing your hair> and then put a small amount on the dry areas when you> style your hair for the day.Soem further words on this subject. . . .You may be able to find cocount oil in your local health store, as well. I bought a good size bottle at Whole Foods for around four or five dollars. When I applied it to my scalp, it was so incredibly oily that I had to shampoo two to three times to get it out! I finally wised up and applied it to my dry ends, and it worked well. :) However, now I use Aussie Hair Insurance, instead, which works even better and cost $3.19. Good deal! But I think Anita's idea in using the coconut oil as a scalp massage before washing the hair is a great one. . .and I may even go back to Whole Foods and get another bottle to try it!I also visited my local Middle Eastern market to look into Brahmi oil -- bought a bottle -- took it home -- and found that half of it had molded! Lovely, eh? It had a year left before expiration and had been properly stored in the market. I took it back, and the market owner was very nice, refunding my money right away. He told me that this has a tendency to happen with Brahmi oil, so be careful and check the bottle in the store, and don't necessarily rely on the expiration date.
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:46am
Thanks a lot for the info. I think I may try some coconut oil for the ends. I'm still not sure whether I want to try it on my scalp. Four days ago I tried jojoba oil as a scalp massage. I washed my hair twice since then, and it is still greasy in some spots. I don't think it's worth the hassle.There are so many different oils out there, that are being suggested. There is jojoba, coconut, rosemary (as a stimulant, I guess), olive oil, Aveda's Beautifying Composition, and probably a lot more. Of all of these, which do you think are the best? Where do you use it (scalp or ends), and what are the positive and/or negative effects?I read somewhere (I think in the Long Hair Site) that rosemary oil works as a good stimulant. Well, I bought some and tried it on my scalp. It felt good, but a whole bunch of hair fell out. I tried it again a few days later, and the same thing happened. Maybe the oil I bought was too concentrated?Thanks again, PD.
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:47am
> There are so many different oils out there, that are> being suggested. There is jojoba, coconut, rosemary> (as a stimulant, I guess), olive oil, Aveda's> Beautifying Composition, and probably a lot more. Of> all of these, which do you think are the best? Where> do you use it (scalp or ends), and what are the> positive and/or negative effects?I love the olive oil, myself. I rub either that or Nature's Gate Jojoba conditioner into my ends, and both work beautifully. I tried olive oil in my scalp and once again ended up with greasy hair that took several washings to return to normal. Maybe I used too much?!> I read somewhere (I think in the Long Hair Site) that> rosemary oil works as a good stimulant. Well, I bought> some and tried it on my scalp. It felt good, but a> whole bunch of hair fell out. I tried it again a few> days later, and the same thing happened. Maybe the oil> I bought was too concentrated?I've read elsewhere that rosemary oil is an excellent stimulant, and I was going to get some! Where did you find yours? I have no idea as to why you lost some hair with it.Karen, help!!! :)Good luck with your search for the ultimate oil. . .I know just how you feel! LOL. Until I find some rosemary oil to use on my scalp, I'll stick with the olive oil on my ends and avoid my scalp altogether. My conditioner should take care of it just fine.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:47am
> Hi, I've been hearing good things about using coconut> oil on the hair. How does this work? Does it make the> hair greasy like jojoba oil does? Do you use it> lightly as a leave-in, or do you wash it out? How is> it, compared to jojoba oil? Thanks, PD.Hi, PDI am surprised that you found jojoba oil to be so greasy. I use jojoba on a daily basis on my skin and the ends of my hair. I think you may be using too much. You need very little for the job to get done. Start with one small drop in the palm of your hands and rub together. Continue this process until you get the right amount.Personally, I would say that olive oil is much heavier than jojoba. It is excellent for hot oil treatments when you need some serious elasticity and overall strength. I have found that olive is much messier than jojoba even for hot oil treatments. I would never use olive oil on a daily basis for the ends of my hair and definitely not my skin.You might try wheat germ oil. I have recently become fascinated with the stuff in the way that it works on the hair. It is halfway between jojoba and olive, as far as I am concerned, in terms of weight or heaviness to the hair. Some may not like it because of the grainy smell, but the smell tends to subside over time.I have heard the raves over rosemary oil, but you have to remember that it is an essential oil and must have a carrier oil to be suitable for skin or hair. Never put any essential oil on your skin or hair full strength. It sounds like you had a severe reaction with your hair falling out. Did your scalp burn? I had a friend who tried some tea tree oil full strength on her skin and she will not forget that burn. Learning how to dilute an essential oil for massage, skin or hair care is an art. I have a friend who made a mixture of ylang ylang with jojoba as a carrier oil for me and it was heavenly. I would never have attempted this myself.I have only used coconut oil in a mixture with peppermint for the care of my tired feet. It was great. I have always wondered if coconut wasn't a bit heavy myself.Have you ever tried almond or avocado? Simply heavenly, especially for the skin. These are much lighter oils than say olive or even wheat germ.All the best,Jade21
Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:47am
I am thinking of trying some oil for my ends. I am deliberating on whether to purchase jojoba or wheat germ form the Body Shop. A large deciding factor is the price- both oils are sold in teensy-weensy bottles and jojoba is the most expensive of all while wheat germ is much cheaper. Can anyone help me out in choosing? Is jojoba really the better oil? Why is it so expensive?
anita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:47am
>olive oil, myself. Maybe I used too much?!Olive oil is a VERY heavy oil. You really have to be careful w/ how much you use. It's almost as thick as castor oil. If you choose to use olive oil as a massage oil for your scalp, I would think in terms of drops instead of pouring it in your hand. Maybe get a medicine dropper and try it that way.> I've read elsewhere that rosemary oil is an excellent> stimulant, and I was going to get some! Where did you> find yours? I have no idea as to why you lost some> hair with it.> Karen, help!!! :)You can get pure rosemary oil at almost any health care store. Make sure it's pure and has no alcohol in it (sometimes essential oils have alcohol in them). Rosemary is suposed to be a good stimulant for the hair follicles (read the same about lemongrass-which smells better). Ultimately it is suppose to be good for growing hair (along w/ massage) because you are getting more blood rushing to the follicles.I use it and like it....the smell dies down after a few minutes.As for the person that says they have lost hair w/ rosemary, I have no idea as to why that's happening. I can only suggest 2 ideas for you...1)maybe your oil has some alcohol in it that you may be allergic to or 2)rosemary simply doesn't agree w/ your body chemistry. Body chemistry should always be taken into consideration when you put anything on your body. What's good for some may stink for you! That's just my theory. If you still find hair loss w/ rosemary, consider trying lemongrass. It's a Native American remedy for baldness and growing hair and it really smells lovely. (Lemongrass you can get at health food store or order online)> Good luck with your search for the ultimate oil. . .That seems to be life's elusive dream! LOL :0)Anita
hi
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:47am
> I would think in terms of drops instead of pouring it in > your hand. Maybe get a medicine dropper and try it that > way.Great idea, Anita! Thank you!> consider trying lemongrass. It's a Native American> remedy for baldness and growing hair and it really> smells lovely. (Lemongrass you can get at health food> store or order online)That sounds like a great one to try! Thanks for the info -- I'll check it out online.> That seems to be life's elusive dream! LOL :0)Tell me about it! Sigh! :)
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:47am
I tried the rosemary oil again this morning, and it worked fine this time. I think that what I did different was not rubbing it in as much. I put some on the fingertips and ran them gently across the scalp, and almost no hair fell out! Another reason for my sudden hair loss could be seasonal, having nothing to do with the oil itself. I think I'm going to go on trying it. PD
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:48am
> I am thinking of trying some oil for my ends. I am> deliberating on whether to purchase jojoba or wheat> germ form the Body Shop. A large deciding factor is> the price- both oils are sold in teensy-weensy bottles> and jojoba is the most expensive of all while wheat> germ is much cheaper. Can anyone help me out in> choosing? Is jojoba really the better oil? Why is it> so expensive?Hi,Christine!I think that you should check out what I said in the thread under coconut oil.Wheat germ is heavier than jojoba. Wheat germ is packed with sulfur, which is great for your hair. Jojoba is packed with protein which is great for your hair. Wheat germ has a grainy odor. Jojoba is odorless and is an excellent carrier oil for essential oils.I wish that I knew why jojoba was so expensive. Native Americans call it "liquid gold" in the the Southwest. It certainly is high in price. The organic kind can run you $5.00 per ounce. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that jojoba is really a wax and not a true oil and I also think that more and more people are becoming aware of the oils amazing results on skin and hair.I would recommend that you go to a health food store to get either jojoba or wheat germ. The Body Shop is way over-priced for so many items. Have you seen the butters which they offer for skin care, the Mango, Avocado, etc.? Beware of these. It would be much better to purchase pure shea butter, rather than their mixtures which bastardize the shea butter.Hope this helps.Jade21
etznab View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etznab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:48am
I personally like to use Ginseng miracle oil. It's a mixture of jojoabo, safflower, wheat germ, rosemary, ginseng, chamoline, and several other herbal ingredientsI have seen it in chain drug stores, such as Eckerds and , Rite Aid for about $6 for an 8 ounce bottle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic