Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTHIS STINKS!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tata View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THIS STINKS!!!!!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:55am
Is Viviscal only for people who can tolerate fish and shell fish?Or is it just made from sea plants or something?????I am very allergic to both.If this is not for me can anyone suggest some other supplements?I am already taking horetail but I have to say that the results have been less than thrilling. Maybe I am not taking the right kind. I take the liquid form with no alchol.Any suggestions????
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:55am
TataThat totally sucks! As recommended by the manufacturer anyone who is allergic to fish should stay away from Viviscal. The main ingredient is a fish oil derived form an North Atlantic deep sea fish so I would stay away if I were you. Longer hair is not worth it.There has been talk on the board about something called Formula 50 that's supposed to help your hair grow. Look at some of the posts below for more info.Regina
wild orhcid salon san luis obispo
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:55am
I have been taking Biotin supplements, you can get them at GNC. I think that they really are helping my hair grow faster, I've been taking them for about three months now... Anyone else ever used Biotin?
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:55am
Hi there!I just received my first pack of Viviscal today and box specifically says, "Do not take this product if you are allergic to acerola, fish or seafood." So I guess that this means-- be wary. I am hearing something about a formula 50-- but I don't know if it is equivalent to Viviscal or not. However, I have asked my stylist about nutrition for your hair and she just told me that eating right-- meaning lots of fresh fruits and veggies-- is really the best natural thing that you can do for your hair!Sherry> Is Viviscal only for people who can tolerate fish and> shell fish?> Or is it just made from sea plants or something?????> I am very allergic to both.> If this is not for me can anyone suggest some other> supplements?> I am already taking horetail but I have to say that> the results have been less than thrilling. Maybe I am> not taking the right kind. I take the liquid form with> no alchol.> Any suggestions????
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:56am
> I have been taking Biotin supplements, you can get> them at GNC. I think that they really are helping my> hair grow faster, I've been taking them for about> three months now... Anyone else ever used Biotin?I had read about Biotin helping your hair grow, so I bought some but no one could tell me how many to take and how many mcg I needed to help my hair grow. I bought the 300 mcg and took 2 a day and I couldn't tell any difference. Do you know how many and what mcg to take? THANKS
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:56am
> I had read about Biotin helping your hair grow, so I> bought some but no one could tell me how many to take> and how many mcg I needed to help my hair grow. I> bought the 300 mcg and took 2 a day and I couldn't> tell any difference. Do you know how many and what mcg> to take? THANKSI am taking 1 600mcg supplement a day. How long did you take them?
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:56am
> I had read about Biotin helping your hair grow, so I> bought some but no one could tell me how many to take> and how many mcg I needed to help my hair grow. I> bought the 300 mcg and took 2 a day and I couldn't> tell any difference. Do you know how many and what mcg> to take? THANKSHi, K!I remember wondering how to take Biotin and referred to a book by Balch and Balch, Prescription for Nutritional Healing. I really wanted the supplement for my nails. They had split badly from some house cleaning which I did without rubber gloves. I cut my nails down to the tips and started over. The book recommended taking 2mg (2,000mcg) for nine months to see an improvement. I have been taking 1.8mg (1,800mcg). Two tablets after food. I have seen an improvement in one month. My nails are about 1/4 inch above the tips and they are hard as anything. No splits, no snapping like twigs. As an added benefit, the biotin has made my hair and skin glow tremendously. I think I have even seen even less breakage in my hair. I have to put it down to this because I haven't done anything new recently:) I also wanted to say that there is no known toxicity with regard to Biotin. It is water soluble.Hope this helps,Jade21
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:56am
> Is Viviscal only for people who can tolerate fish and> shell fish?> Or is it just made from sea plants or something?????> I am very allergic to both.> If this is not for me can anyone suggest some other> supplements?> I am already taking horetail but I have to say that> the results have been less than thrilling. Maybe I am> not taking the right kind. I take the liquid form with> no alchol.> Any suggestions????Hi, Tata!I think you mean horsetail which is an excellent source of silica. As far as I know, silica tends to make your hair shiny and strong, but is not the best supplement for growth. It should help with your nails more.However, a good company called Trace Minerals puts out a Silica complex. It is called Complete Silica. Their product is in a balanced form so that you don't throw off your mineral balance. It also contains alfalfa which is excellent for hair growth. Check out their website at www.traceminerals.com. There is also an 800 number for retailers. There are also other companies like Futurebiotics which make Silica products. You just have to search them out. It may just be that the liquid formula is not the best for you.Quickly, I would recommend a B Complex vitamin 50-100mg daily. The B vitamins and factors like Biotin and Inositol are excellent for the hair. Vitamin C is also superior. It has helped me to eliminate splits and definitely encouraged growth. Start with 1gram (1,000mg) and work up to a higher daily dosage. Personally, I take 2-3grams daily. Also, as Karen has suggested, kelp tablets are good as are sea vegetables like Nori. I try to eat a Seaweed salad from a local health food store several times per week because it has generated such excellent results. I could not take the kelp tablets. Also, take a good multivitamin daily and cut down on the amount of red meat you are ingesting. When you eat meat, try to get grain-fed. I think it's the hormones and other chemicals that encourage hair breakage and deter growth, among other things. Lastly, try to eat sulfur rich foods like eggs, onions, wheat germ, and garlic. You can always get garlic deodorized in tablet or capsule form.I was rushing, so please, if you would like any other info, just drop me an e-mail. I'll put on my thinking cap and dash off a response:)Happy growing!Jade21
Marlea View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
> I had read about Biotin helping your hair grow, so I> bought some but no one could tell me how many to take> and how many mcg I needed to help my hair grow. I> bought the 300 mcg and took 2 a day and I couldn't> tell any difference. Do you know how many and what mcg> to take? THANKS
Marlea View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
> I had read about Biotin helping your hair grow, so I> bought some but no one could tell me how many to take> and how many mcg I needed to help my hair grow. I> bought the 300 mcg and took 2 a day and I couldn't> tell any difference. Do you know how many and what mcg> to take? THANKSI also bought the biotin formula for hair & nails from GNC. I swear by it now.. last year I received a wonderful butcher job on my hair from a young stylist who decided my straight one-length hair needed a fab new style. I came home & cried that day, then found this website and contacted a woman named Cindy on here who had the same problem. I took biotin 2tabs, 3 times a day for 9 months faithfully, before I got lazy with it. I don't remember the mgs but my stylist noticed a huge difference. There is new growth all over and the length grew fast. After those 9 months, I was almost back to the place I started. I also make my own conditioning packs and try to do this weekly. Good Luck!!
val clark View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote val clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
> Hey jade I took 3000 mcg of Biotin a day for about a year. My nails grew but I couldn't tell about my hair. It did not seem to be growing. I am still taking the Biotin plus just started taking Viviscal. I hope these two will not counteract each other. I am trying to do everything I can to make my hair grow! I get the Biotin with 3000 mcg from GNC. It is called Great Hair and the company name is Victol. I am also taking Fish Body Oil capsuls. So I take three different pills a day.
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
> I am taking 1 600mcg supplement a day. How long did> you take them?I was taking 2 300mcg for about 2 or 3 months and didn't seeany results-not really long enough- but now since I've read the other posts, I've started-today- taking 5 300mcg and I'm going to try and stick with it for a while- I'm bad about having to take vitamins. I bought mine at Wal-mart but I don't think that they actually carry it. A girl that worked in the pharmacy had ordered her some and she let me buy hers. I think it was about $3.00 for 100 tablets. Where do you buy yours?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic