Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI think I'm just gonna cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I think I'm just gonna cry
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
As some of you know, I'm trying to grow out my very fine hair. It's not so flat anymore, but it's breaking off. I got it cut two weeks ago and it's already so split that it looks terrible. It looks like hay on the ends. Is there a such thing as a hair doctor? I keep trying different shampoos and stuff, but should it be this hard to grow hair? Is there something that I need to do? Please help!
Reigna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reigna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
Jade,I'm so sorry about your situation. My best friend has really think fine hair and she spent years trying to grow it long but nothing ever seemed to work. She used to have super long hair when we were little but perm in junior high tweaked her hair and she's had to keep it short ever since. Her stylist told her that each person has a limit to the length their hair will grow before it starts splittingor thinning out.I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear. Have you tried to improve your hair form the inside? By taking vitamins adn eating right your might be able to help your hair. I'm sure someone onthe board knows what vitamins to take. Good luck.Regina
jade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
That makes a lot of sense. I used to have long hair too, but got it permed. Ever since, I have not been able to grow it out.yes, I am taking Biotin which has helped my hair grow thicker or havce more body anyway. Any other supplements I should take?
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
Hi, Jade,I am sorry to hear that you're feeling so discouraged. I am really not sure if having a perm would really affect future hair growth, unless the solution somehow damages the follicles. But I am wondering if you still have hair toward the ends that had the perm, or is it all grown out? I have had perms in the past, and while it did not effect the rate of growth of my hair, it certainly did effect the condition of the hair that was on my head.I have fine hair as well, and mine had grown to mid back lenght in about a year and a half (from shoulders). I am 6' tall, so for me that is about 10". However, during that time, I have sacrificed some lenght for trims.(Every 6-10 weeks) I have struggled with split ends, too, (see post in earlier thread "Help!!! Dawn??) and read her words of wisdom as well. But ,overall, my hair is in good condition.So, here is what I do, and maybe something might help you. I use the best products I can afford and as natural as possible. I use Artec smoothing line, Nature's Gate, Aveda, and Aubrey Organics, and I alternate. I always use a dime-nickel sized application of Aveda Elixir after my final cold rinse. I only shampoo and massage my scalp and let the shampoo run through the rest, because I usually wash daily. I leave conditioner on for 3-5 minutes, and as Dawn has said, "Condition, condition, condition."Occasionally, I use a clarifying shampoo, either by Aveda or I also have a nice one by Redken. After applying Elixir, and making sure it get to my ends really well, I very Gently towel dry. Then I carefully finger pick ( and the conditioners I use seem to leave my hair relatively tangle-free), then I use either Aveda styling currescence or Confixor, Artec smoothing serum, or Aubrey org. B5 styling gel. I alternate those as well. For deep conditioner, and you may want to do a lot of that for a while, I use Artec Moisture Pak, and Ouidad's Deep Treatment. Also in the past I have used Nucleic A's deep cond. and I have liked that as well. (Available from www.beautystore.com) Occasionally, I also go to the salon for a cond. treatment, and sit under a dryer for 30 min, with Aveda purescription oils in my hair. You may want to consider hot oil treatments at home as well with olive or jojoba oil, or Aveda's Beautifying oil, which by the way, is a wonderful product. I use a drop of it almost daily on my ends when my hair dries and I think it helps. I do blow dry, but just a little to remove some moisture, and let the hair dry naturally the rest of the way. Then I pick it with my pick. Make sure you are using a good pick/comb, and brush. I brush my hair as well at night to spread the sebum and to stimulate the scalp.Also, I do not use chemical treatments (perms, color,or straighten). Do you color? If so, it may be hard on your hair.As far as diet goes, well, I am working to improve that, but I definitely think that if effects your hair. I do take the hair, skin and nails vitamins by futurebiotics, and a B complex with C. I am trying to drink more water. I know that karen Shelton says that she eats sea veggies almost daily and she specifically mentioned Nori, which I want to start eating because I like it, and she says its great for hair. She also takes essential fatty acids.Well, this has gotten kind of long winded, but maybe something will help. With fine hair, it may take longer to grow it really long, but I am willing to wait the time it takes to have it long, and in good condition. Patience, which is not one of my virtues.Regards,Clare> As some of you know, I'm trying to grow out my very> fine hair. It's not so flat anymore, but it's breaking> off. I got it cut two weeks ago and it's already so> split that it looks terrible. It looks like hay on the> ends. Is there a such thing as a hair doctor? I keep> trying different shampoos and stuff, but should it be> this hard to grow hair? Is there something that I need> to do? Please help!
Clare
jade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
> Thanks for the advise. I permed my hair in highschool and I'm now 27. I cut the emaining perm off years ago. I've been trying to grow my hair out for nearly two years and it's about 2" above my bra strap. I'm short too, so that's not very long!
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
Jade,I don't know the specific vitamins off hand but I'm sure if you go to a GNC or other vitamin store they will be able to help!It is just going to take some time and patience to grow out your hair. I'm doing the same thing right now too and it's pretty tempting just to cut my hair short again but I made apromise to myself that I was going to stick it out. I also told my stylist to help out by refusing ot chop off my hair if I asked her!Good LuckRegina
wild orhcid salon san luis obispo
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
>Hi, Jade!I haven't seen any posts from you in quite a while, so I thought your situation had improved. I am sorry you are having such breakage problems with your hair.First, I wanted to say to you that there actually may be something as a hair doctor. A good hair stylist may be able to give you a full assessment of your hair, especially since you have been trying to grow your hair out and improve it for a substantial period of time.I don't relate personal situations which are especially painful outloud, but I can tell you that I had a horrible allergic reaction to an antibiotic which a doctor prescribed for a high fever. Besides a rash which caused my skin to shed everywhere and aches which made arthritis look like a picnic, a substantial portion of my hair fell out. I was lucky that my hair was thick, so that I could shift portions of my hair. Several stylists recommended cutting off the bulk of my hair, but I refused. One stylist worked with me for over a year to whip my hair into shape and to be extremely gentle with portions which had broken off. I will never underestimate the power of a good stylist. She kept my spirits high and said the situation was not impossible. She was right!Second, I know we have spoken via e-mail, but now I want to ask you straight out, what are you eating? Also, do you have a tremendous amount of stress in your life? I think that I had suggested some of the supplements which I have used for years which I know have helped my hair. I remember telling you about Vitamin C for breakage and B Complex for overall strength and growth of your hair. If your hair is in poor condition, it will take some time to see results. But, you will see results.Take care and all the best,Jade21As some of you know, I'm trying to grow out my very> fine hair. It's not so flat anymore, but it's breaking> off. I got it cut two weeks ago and it's already so> split that it looks terrible. It looks like hay on the> ends. Is there a such thing as a hair doctor? I keep> trying different shampoos and stuff, but should it be> this hard to grow hair? Is there something that I need> to do? Please help!
jade View Drop Down

Thanks for your support. Yes, my problems have gotten better, but now they are a little different. My hair feels so healthy at the top, but the bottom is just breaking like it never has!you asked what I was eating and if I had stress in my life. As for the stress, I have very little at all. Maybe that's part of the problem. I'm used to stress. I moved from one of the nations largest cities to the middle of nowhere. I love it out here. As for eating, I eat veggies twice a day and usually meat twice a day. We'll have some sort of potato or rice too. Breakfast is different every day. We don't eat much salad b/c it burns off too quickly.Anyway, any help I can get is greatly appreciated.
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
Hi Jade,Everyone here has given good advice so far. There are hair doctors called trichologists. They aren't really doctors but scientists for the hair. However, I have no idea how to locate one accept maybe internet research. You might also want to see a regular doctor or a dermotologist because brittle hair can be a symtom of other problems like a thyroid disorder. I've had dermotologists tell me that their proffesion includes hair and nails as well as the skin. I read somewhere that while it's true that everyone's hair has a limit to how long it will grow, one should be able to grow it to mid back.One thing to keep in mind is that as your hair grows longer, the breakage is more visable since each hair is longer. I have hair to my lower back which is inherently drier and more suseptable to breakage than short hair. I find that a lot of breakage occurs when I detangle my hair. The more time and patience I take to detangle my hair, the less breakage occurs. This is a huge pain but it is worth it. I do it in the shower with lots of conditioner and a wide tooth comb. Also if I sleep with my hair braided, it tangles less. Hope this helps.
Simone.(C). View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simone.(C). Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:58am
Hi Jade,I sympathise with you as my hair is evil sometimes! William has graet advice,(as always), try Silica /Biotin/ Inositol & good old Codliver oil capsules this was told to me by David Sallinger a leading Tricologist in Australia as well as Magnesium, also have you tried the Nioxin range of specialty hair products for fine /damaged &weak hair that is prone to split?, they are all botanical including a scalp food(to feed follicles- really a great product& cooling too), check out the Website for Nioxin,as you can Email them for more indepth advice, try not to stress I know it is hard as I battle with my hair everyday(I also gave up blow drying eekk), & you will notice a difference, as for perms I've never had one & with my hair I'd probably end up BALD.Please Don't Cry we are all here to try & help!!Best Wishes , Simone.(C). :)As some of you know, I'm trying to grow out my very> fine hair. It's not so flat anymore, but it's breaking> off. I got it cut two weeks ago and it's already so> split that it looks terrible. It looks like hay on the> ends. Is there a such thing as a hair doctor? I keep> trying different shampoos and stuff, but should it be> this hard to grow hair? Is there something that I need> to do? Please help!
Simone.(C). View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simone.(C). Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:58am
Jade,please exuse my spelling errors, I just noticed!!Hi Jade,> I sympathise with you as my hair is evil sometimes!> William has graet advice,(as always), try Silica> /Biotin/ Inositol & good old Codliver oil capsules> this was told to me by David Sallinger a leading> Tricologist in Australia as well as Magnesium, also> have you tried the Nioxin range of specialty hair> products for fine /damaged &weak hair that is prone to> split?, they are all botanical including a scalp> food(to feed follicles- really a great product&> cooling too), check out the Website for Nioxin,as you> can Email them for more indepth advice, try not to> stress I know it is hard as I battle with my hair> everyday(I also gave up blow drying eekk), & you> will notice a difference, as for perms I've never had> one & with my hair I'd probably end up BALD.> Please Don't Cry we are all here to try & help!!> Best Wishes , Simone.(C). :)> As some of you know, I'm trying to grow out my very
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:58am
> SimoneWhat exactly does codliver caps do for your hair? Make it grow or make it less brittle? Either way, where do you buy it and how much do you take? k
Calsie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:58am
Regina,Are you the same regina that's taking the Viviscal supplements? If so, I find the statements here kind of interesting-aren't the supplements working as fast as they once were? Elaborate, please. :))
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:58am
A good hair vitamin is KAL HAIR FORCE available at GNC. I do think the silica isn't the greatest source in this supplement, so I am thinking myself of getting it in a seperate form, but I need to be sure how much is alright before over-doing the amount-it can be detrimental if too much is ingested, from what I've heard. Also, please watch out for fixative and silicones-they can really do a number on your hair, especially silicones. Just ask the Pantene users on the board who had bad results after using it awhile-I was one. A lot of the products mentioned here contain silicones-again, I would avoid them, or at least make sure they are way down on the list, as my friend Sherry who posts on Hair Talk as well has suggested.Do you deep condition? Maybe a good hot oil treatment(containing REAL OIL and not just a lot of conditioners without oil) one week, then a Deep protein treatment the next-you don't want to overdo with protein. Very gentle brushing with the correct brush is great advice, but (and some may disagree with this) consider finger combing only, at least for a little while. I did this when I grew my hair long and it's to the top of my hips. I think also that Nexxus Therapee and humectress shampoo are the best thing going for gentleness and strengthening your hair. There are some fixatives in Therappe, but I think just washing with another trusted, gentle shampoo (sodium laureth sulfite is a gentle ingredient that chemists seem to agree on-I'd only use one with that) that doesn't contain fixatives. I would get the book "Don't Go Shopping For Haircare Products Without Me" by Paula Begoun, available on the book review section. It can help you learn what Ingredients are harsh or gentle. You might see other chemicals for detergents listed as O.K., but chemists disagree apparently with some of her findings on detergents.I know this is long, but I hope I have helped you-I know how important it is to have the hair you want.
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:58am
Calsie,In regards to VIVSCAL and the previously posted messages by yours truly:I believe the supplements are still working for me but as I have stated before I hold off on measuring my hair unitl I finish a pack. I think I would have to be a maniac to measure my hair every other day!!!I was advising Jade based on the assumption that she wasn't interested in using VIVISCAL since she never asked for info about it, even though the product is supposed to increase the hair growth rate and make it thicker.No matter what product/vitamin/eating regimin you using (inlcuding VIVISCAL) you would still have to be patient and wait for results.I hope that answers everything for you if not feel free to ask any other questions!!!!Regina
jade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:58am
Maybe I should know this already, but what is Viviscal? Is it something I should consider? Does it cost an arm and a leg? Where do I get it? My knowledge of these things is so limited, but I'm studying (only for myself, of course) hard! I just want to grow my hair and have the best my body can produce.Jade
Calsie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:58am
> Calsie,> In regards to VIVSCAL and the previously posted> messages by yours truly:> I believe the supplements are still working for me but> as I have stated before I hold off on measuring my> hair unitl I finish a pack. I think I would have to be> a maniac to measure my hair every other day!!!> I was advising Jade based on the assumption that she> wasn't interested in using VIVISCAL since she never> asked for info about it, even though the product is> supposed to increase the hair growth rate and make it> thicker.> No matter what product/vitamin/eating regimin you> using (inlcuding VIVISCAL) you would still have to be> patient and wait for results.> I hope that answers everything for you if not feel> free to ask any other questions!!!!> Regina
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:59am
> I too, am trying to grow my hair out long. I take KAL hair vitamins and Oleda Hair Helper vitamins. I brush my hair every night to distribute oils, and massage my scalp. My best advise to you regarding breakage is stop blow drying. I saw a huge difference in my hair's condition whenever I stopped blow drying. I know that's probably not what you want to hear but it really did help.Good luck. I know it's hard to be patient about this because I'm not myself.Lisa
Regina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:59am
Jade,You can find info on VIVISCAL in the article I wrote for the Hair Boutique. THere have also been numerous posts concerning VIVSCAL and another person (Ally)is currently outting to gether a survey of VIVSCAL users. Most of the info is in this site but you can always do a web search since there are a few other web sites who have additional info on VIVISCAL. Hope ths helps!Regina
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:00am
> Thanks for your support. Yes, my problems have gotten> better, but now they are a little different. My hair> feels so healthy at the top, but the bottom is just> breaking like it never has!Hi, Jade!I think I told you about the bottom part of your hair being the weakest. The hair which is closest to your head should be strong because it is the newest growth. You really have to protect the last few inches because they are most vulnerable to breakage. Have you been taking the Vitamin C as I previously suggested?How much would you have to trim off to get rid of the breakage?I am so glad that that there is a good portion of your hair that is strong now!> you asked what I was eating and if I had stress in my> life. As for the stress, I have very little at all.> Maybe that's part of the problem. I'm used to stress.> I moved from one of the nations largest cities to the> middle of nowhere. I love it out here. As for eating,> I eat veggies twice a day and usually meat twice a> day. We'll have some sort of potato or rice too.> Breakfast is different every day. We don't eat much> salad b/c it burns off too quickly.The stress I can understand. My hair seems to grow even more under stress. Try limiting you red meat intake to once a day and see if it makes a difference in your hair. I eliminated it from my diet a while back and have seen a tremendous difference in my hair.Eat red apples, red grapes, and some bananas as snacks during the day. As for the taters, add some sweet potatoes.When you do have a salad, add some red cabbage if you can eat it. Also, eat some onions, garlic, and eggs if you can. Like the cabbage, these are rich in sulfur which are excellent for the strength and growth of your hair. Brocolli is excellent, too. As Karen has recommended, eat sea vegetables like Nori. I eat a seaweed salad which seems to have really nourished and helped my hair to thrive. The more raw foods you can eat, the better.My last bit of advice may seem odd, but this is something that I have found to be quite helpful. I don't know whether you wash your hair each time you shower. I do not, only once a week. But anyway, buy a shower cap. Take a warm, steamy shower. I suggest that you turn the shower on hot, let it run for three minutes or so, then turn to warm temp for normal showering. The warm, steamy conditions seem to encourage strong hair. Why? I frankly couldn't tell you.A buddy of mine says that since he purchased his jacuzzi, he is more relaxed and his hair has been growing like crazy. There's something to this.> Anyway, any help I can get is greatly appreciated.Take care of yourself and look forward to your posts...Bye for now...Jade21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic