Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOrange instead of red... HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orange instead of red... HELP!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:01am
Hi!I coloured (permanent) my girlfriends hair yesterday. She had dark brown hair before that, and the maker of the haircolor (Wella Grenadine Red) suggested to bleach the hair before that. So we bleached her hair (70 minutes with Clairol Naturally Born Blonde), it went partly yellow, partly orange. After that we dried the hair and applied the haircolor. The instructions suggested to wait 30 minutes, then wash a strand of hair and if it was OK then rinse the color out. The strand looked OK.Now her head is orange instead of dark red.What can we do? Wait some days and use the same color again (another color won't do, I suppose)? Or should we use a "soft toning color"? How long would we have to wait so it works correctly? Her hair is chin length and still looks quite healthy after the two applications.Thank You!Alan&Katja
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:02am
Let me see if I get this straight. You want a dark red? Boy, anything suggesting pre bleaching could not possibly be conducive to dark red. I would guess someone like William might suggest a tone on tone type color in a dark red. Pretty simple really. I would say brand of color has little relevance as long as it's the right type of color product. You certainly don't nead anything with paroxide providing lift. Just to rattle off a few: Avantage, Natural Instincts, Aurelle. I'm still baffled by how you ended up with the Wella in the first place? I am not familiar enough with Wella other than "color charm" to figure out what kind you were using. I can't picture any dark red suggesting pre bleaching. I could only imagine that, maybe with a bright or punk type red.
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:03am
> Hi!> I coloured (permanent) my girlfriends hair yesterday.> She had dark brown hair before that, and the maker of> the haircolor (Wella Grenadine Red) suggested to> bleach the hair before that. So we bleached her hair> (70 minutes with Clairol Naturally Born Blonde), it> went partly yellow, partly orange. After that we dried> the hair and applied the haircolor. The instructions> suggested to wait 30 minutes, then wash a strand of> hair and if it was OK then rinse the color out. The> strand looked OK.> Now her head is orange instead of dark red.> What can we do? Wait some days and use the same color> again (another color won't do, I suppose)? Or should> we use a "soft toning color"? How long would> we have to wait so it works correctly? Her hair is> chin length and still looks quite healthy after the> two applications.> Thank You!> Alan&KatjaTo Alan&Katja;Try a medium to Dark Ash Blonde as the 'corrective' color, this is a 'blue' base product and should neutralize the orange. Be sure to strand test, (this means to color only a small strand, about 1/2" in width, rinse and dry, BEFORE coloring the rest of the head). This will 'preview' the finished color so you don't wind up with a problem like you have now. Please read my article in the 'Articles' section, for a better understanding of color. Pay particular attention to the 'color wheel', for it is the key to all coloring! You may have to adjust the color mixture to turn your orange to red just be patient, mix only a cap or two up to strand test and protect nearby hair by putting the strand in a plastic bag, or paper towel while it is processing. william
Alan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:05am
> Let me see if I get this straight. You want a dark> red? Boy, anything suggesting pre bleaching could not> possibly be conducive to dark red.Well, it is a _permanent_ color, so it takes out most of your own color and then (by means of a chemical reaction) creates the new color inside of your hair, so bleaching just makes it easier for the haircolor to take out your original color.> [...] Just to> rattle off a few: Avantage, Natural Instincts,> Aurelle.Well, we live in Germany, so these products are _completely_ unknown here!> I'm still baffled by how you ended up with> the Wella in the first place? I am not familiar enough> with Wella other than "color charm" to> figure out what kind you were using.Wella is one of the biggest hair products companies here in Germany and they have got a quite good page on the net:http://www.wella.deandhttp://www.farbberatung.deAlan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic