Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPerm Damage/wedding near

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wendi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perm Damage/wedding near
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:09am
Hello!My situation is this: 5 months ago, a salon perm damaged my hair. I had 3 inches cut about 3 months ago and don't want another big cut. The ends are not beyond repair, but they're not really healthy. I have 5 months of regrowth (read: flat head) and 4-5 inches of really nice perm from my cheeks down. I hate this look (it looks poodle-ish) but I am leery about another perm so close to my wedding 3 months away. Is there anything a stylist can do to give me the look of a "full" perm without actually putting perm chemicals on my hair? It would need to last about 3 weeks and withstand the beaches of California. If not, can they successfully perm the "top", re-growth area without straightening the bottom part?If you have any questions, please ask. I want to get the fullest advice possible from all angles and viewpoints. I wa nt to be careful about my hair.Wendywschmidt@concentric.net
shelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:09am
> Hello!> My situation is this: 5 months ago, a salon perm> damaged my hair. I had 3 inches cut about 3 months ago> and don't want another big cut. The ends are not> beyond repair, but they're not really healthy. I have> 5 months of regrowth (read: flat head) and 4-5 inches> of really nice perm from my cheeks down. I hate this> look (it looks poodle-ish) but I am leery about> another perm so close to my wedding 3 months away. Is> there anything a stylist can do to give me the look of> a "full" perm without actually putting perm> chemicals on my hair? It would need to last about 3> weeks and withstand the beaches of California. If not,> can they successfully perm the "top",> re-growth area without straightening the bottom part?> If you have any questions, please ask. I want to get> the fullest advice possible from all angles and> viewpoints. I wa nt to be careful about my hair.> Wendy> wschmidt@concentric.netI strongly suggest going to a reputable salon, this is what happened to me. I have really thick hair , one length and got a perm a few months before my wedding. The stylist only used one box of solution, where I found out later I needed three. Some hair took the perm while others were flat. She then tried to perm the flat areas, and in doing so, the areas that were curly got solution on them and they got flat. I landed up getting inches cut off, then hair cut after haircut to try and get it to look right. I landed up going to a reputable salon, and the stylist gave me a very good conditioning treatment then I got another perm. It took fine. It all depends on how healthy your hair is.For your wedding day, have them set your hair so it all looks the same. As far as the honeymoon, why even fuss with it? Go relax and enjoy yourself. To tell you the truth, I bet a good stylist can help you work with what you have, maybe blow it out straight?Good luck.
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:12am
> Hello!> My situation is this: 5 months ago, a salon perm> damaged my hair. I had 3 inches cut about 3 months ago> and don't want another big cut. The ends are not> beyond repair, but they're not really healthy. I have> 5 months of regrowth (read: flat head) and 4-5 inches> of really nice perm from my cheeks down. I hate this> look (it looks poodle-ish) but I am leery about> another perm so close to my wedding 3 months away. Is> there anything a stylist can do to give me the look of> a "full" perm without actually putting perm> chemicals on my hair? It would need to last about 3> weeks and withstand the beaches of California. If not,> can they successfully perm the "top",> re-growth area without straightening the bottom part?> If you have any questions, please ask. I want to get> the fullest advice possible from all angles and> viewpoints. I wa nt to be careful about my hair.> Wendy> wschmidt@concentric.netTo Wendy;Yes, you can perm the new growth only! Wendy, this is what is referred to as a 'root perm'. Only the 'new growth' is permed and the previously permed hair is protected to prevent damage or relaxation. The process goes like this;1) an intensive deep conditioning program is done for probably 1-2 weeks before perming the new growth, to get your hair healthy and ready to perm.2) The stylist rolls the hair onto the desired rods in a piggyback fashion, winding only the 'new growth' onto the first rod, which is secured in the normal manner against the scalp. Use double end papers folded in a 'bookfold' manner when starting to roll the first rods to the scalp.3) The 'previously permed' hair is combed through and pulled out smooth just as if you were going to roll the second or 'piggyback rod' in it, then a heavy bodied conditioner is thoroughly brushed on to protect it from the perm solution and if it is short, wind it on the second rod, if it is very long/thick, you can wind it into a flat pincurl and wrap in a small plastic bag, sandwich bags work great or foils like used in highlighting. Secure the bags or foils very good and you can use a small rubber band to secure the loose end of the piggyback rod and the bags.4) Very carefully apply the perm solution to the 'root rods' only, here a little extra effort pays off, take your time and apply sparingly doing two applications, this will allow the perm solution to 'soak into', the first rod and any 'runoff' will be a very minimal amount. Process as usual,rinsing, neutralizing, and rinsing. During the neutralizing process, some mfrs suggest applying the neutralizer for 5 mins and then removing the rods and working the remaining neutralizer through the hair for another minute. This adds considerable to the time that the neutralizer is 'on' the hair, while the rods are being removed. Instead, rinse the normal 5 minutes at least, on both rinses, (removing the perm solution, and the first neutralizer rinse), then remove all the rods and bags, apply the leftover neutralizer to the area that was 'root permed' and leave the extra minute or so and rinse all of the hair completly, being carefull not to stretch the hair. It will not damage the hair if some gets into the previously permed hair, in fact it is benificial to apply a little to the 'buffer area' where the previously permed hair and the newly permed hair meet. You should not experience any further damage to the previously permed hair and the root perm should work wonders for your 'flat hair'. I use this method all the time and it works well, also after shampooing the hair before the root perm, go ahead and use Redken Climatress conditioner on all of the hair for a couple of minutes and thoroughly rinse with warm water before the root perm. You will have to find a stylist with a lot of perming experience to properly do this. If you have any more questions, I will be glad to help. Congrats on the wedding and please cut as much of the bad ends as soon as possible or you will be sorry you didn't when they travel up the hair shaft. william
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic