Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtoo extreme?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: too extreme?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:12am
I read somewhere that having bangs and long hair makes you loose more hair than if it were all one length. The article said that it is a shock to your hair. This doesn't sound like a very reliable article to me, but I wanted to ask to be sure. What is the truth?
jj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:12am
i have also read that having hair of differing lengths (bangs/layers) would cause hair loss because of some sort of equalization theory, where hair evens itself out. however, my take on it is that its a bunch of hooey! hair is dead cells extruded by the follicle, i can't see how hair could be shocked or anything. and besides, think about the number of hair talk people with very long hair who have bangs, including Karen. if someone can weigh in with an "official" answer i would also be interested to know... :)jj
Don3 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:12am
> I read somewhere that having bangs and long hair makes> you loose more hair than if it were all one length.> The article said that it is a shock to your hair. This> doesn't sound like a very reliable article to me, but> I wanted to ask to be sure. What is the truth?Logic says this is bunk. Since bangs are in a confined area they should have no effect on other hair. However, a person who has had long hair for years may have a scalp which has adjusted to the additional weight and stress. Where a person just beginning to achieve some hair length may lose some hair as their scalp adjusts. Perhaps problems growing-out bangs is a source for this rumor.Hair of different lengths could put additional strain on the longer hair causing it to break, split or pull-out thereby adding some credence to the equalizing theory. ;-)Don3
jj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:12am
don3 - thanks for the info, the next time someone tries to talk me into layers, i will tell them what you said (layers look awful on me, but that doesn't stop my mom from "suggesting")....thanks againjj:)
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:12am
Wow!What a crock! The shaft of your hair is as dead as a doornail, meaning that there is NO blood supply and there are NO nerves. Since this is the case, there is no way for your scalp and root system to know WHAT is going on further down the line-- whoever came up with this goop is horribly mistaken!Sherry~> I read somewhere that having bangs and long hair makes> you loose more hair than if it were all one length.> The article said that it is a shock to your hair. This> doesn't sound like a very reliable article to me, but> I wanted to ask to be sure. What is the truth?
me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:12am
I just read at the www.skinbiology.com site and article on growing long hair. One of the things they said about layers in the hair, is that the hair sheds more to try and even the hair out. I don't remember seeing anything about being a shock to the hair. But it was one of the principles that governed George Michael's, a supposed long hair expert, longer-growing hair theory. As a result, he cut womens's hair in a straight blunt cut to help it grow longer and shed and break less. He was succesful in his methods.I've also seen it mentioned on this site that longer hair sheds less. Who can explain that?
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:13am
You are right about blunt cuts being better for growing long hair than layered cuts. I think this is because breakage is often cause at the (dry) ends of long hair. The more layers there are, the more ends there are to dry out and break. However, bangs are a different story. Bangs are short hair that don't really seem to affect the rest of the hair at all.
Shannon G. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannon G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:13am
I recently found George Michael's book on long hair at a local library and it explains his theory of this very well. You are all right that the hair itself couldn't care less what length it is or how many layers it's cut into, but the scalp can. The scalp tries to even out the wieght of the hair by slowing growth of or shedding longer layers. I suppose it might also speed up growth of shorter sections but if you want long hair that doesn't help much. He says that one length hair will therefore be thicker and be able to grow longer than layered cuts. Personally I think this makes sense, and the man does have like 40 years of experience working with hair.Hope this helps,Shannon G.> I read somewhere that having bangs and long hair makes> you loose more hair than if it were all one length.> The article said that it is a shock to your hair. This> doesn't sound like a very reliable article to me, but> I wanted to ask to be sure. What is the truth?
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:13am
This entire concept has just totally humored me. While everyone who posted sounds as if they had a good point, and in a round about way, maybe they do. However, in regards to layering being worse for growing hair than a blunt cut, because that leaves more ends-- I have this question-- if you extended that layered piece of hair out, would it not then be a blunt cur long end? An end is an end! If anything, the layered end would be healthier since the sebum that the scalp releases has a shorter distance to travel to reach it. Just think about all this-- I mean how caqn you justify this theory about layering, but then say that it is not the same for bange (which are short layers)? A cut is a cut, a layer a layer, and an end an end. I hope that I don't sound short and maybe I'm just too science focused (being that I am a pre-med student), but logically, this concept just doesn't have any weight-- I think the philosophies of the formetioned (Geaoge Michel?)are just plain old gimmicks!Sherry~> You are right about blunt cuts being better for> growing long hair than layered cuts. I think this is> because breakage is often cause at the (dry) ends of> long hair. The more layers there are, the more ends> there are to dry out and break. However, bangs are a> different story. Bangs are short hair that don't> really seem to affect the rest of the hair at all.
me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:13am
If you'll read the post by SHannon G. It should explain to you about the scalp's role inal this. As for your theory about ends being ends. That holds except the longer layered ends are farther from the scalp. SO they get less sebum. And especially if you have curly hair, They probably get no sebum at all. So they are more likely to break, split and tear off, are they not.I have gone to my doctor about my hair , and to tell you the truth, I had more luck on this board and in library books in the advice department, than I ever did in the medical community.I'm sure that George Michael's (not the singer - haha :) research, which he did to develop his methods for growing out hair, were based on scientific priciples. Sometimes you 've got to go beyond the degree to get information.
me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:13am
Where did you find his book? Is it in the library? What's the name of it? I'm interested. And, I do agree with a lot of his theories. I'm switching over to an acidify conditioner, I've cut way back on the heat.But I would love to read some of his other principles.Thanks in advance for your answer.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:13am
It's my understanding that Dr. George Michael had already earneda medical degree before attending Wilfred beauty academy.Most all of us with long hair wash our hair so frequently the ends ofour hair have little opportunity to derive any benefit from sebum.Most of us would think our hair is "gross" and "oily" and would washour hair long before the sebum would do our ends any good.Let's take a survey. The question is for those who had or have long,one-length hair -- and then cut bangs. Did you notice that your hair'sgrowth rate slowed? Or did it stay the same as before getting bangs?Perhaps one way to answer the question is to find out the experiencesof those who have gone through it.Dave
David M Squires
Shannon G. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannon G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:14am
The title is "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair"I found it at a local library, the copywright is 1981 so it will probably not be easy to find but I imagine one of the online bookstores might be able to find a copy. some of the info and styles are a little outdated but it is a good book. the ISBN is 0385154658. hope this helps.Shannon G.> Where did you find his book? Is it in the library?> What's the name of it? I'm interested. And, I do agree> with a lot of his theories. I'm switching over to an> acidify conditioner, I've cut way back on the heat.> But I would love to read some of his other principles.> Thanks in advance for your answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic