Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Shea (Karite) Butter is Heavenly for Conditioning!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedShea (Karite) Butter is Heavenly for Conditioning!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shea (Karite) Butter is Heavenly for Conditioning!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:21am
I recently received some shea butter which I had ordered after I read about its superior moisturizing and conditioning properties for the skin and hair without being greasy and clogging to the pores. I paid $16.00 for 4oz. That was at a discounted price from the retail of $20.00. That amount ought to last close to a year. You need to use so little.I made a mixture of shea butter and jojoba oil as a hot oil treatment. My hair was just gorgeous with shine, elasticity and moisture.The consistency of shea butter is quite amazing. It's not like cocoa butter which I had imagined it would be. When applied to your skin, it melts from your skin's warmth. I used it on my legs after shaving and the next morning my skin felt silky and not irritated in any way.It's amazing to me that a product derived from Central Africa can be purchased in its pure state from a company in Beverly Hills, California:)(La Natura).I would encourage anyone to try this product.All the Best,Jade21
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:21am
> I recently received some shea butter which I had> ordered after I read about its superior moisturizing> and conditioning properties for the skin and hair> without being greasy and clogging to the pores. I paid> $16.00 for 4oz. That was at a discounted price from> the retail of $20.00. That amount ought to last close> to a year. You need to use so little.> I made a mixture of shea butter and jojoba oil as a> hot oil treatment. My hair was just gorgeous with> shine, elasticity and moisture.> The consistency of shea butter is quite amazing. It's> not like cocoa butter which I had imagined it would> be. When applied to your skin, it melts from your> skin's warmth. I used it on my legs after shaving and> the next morning my skin felt silky and not irritated> in any way.> It's amazing to me that a product derived from Central> Africa can be purchased in its pure state from a> company in Beverly Hills, California:)(La Natura).> I would encourage anyone to try this product.> All the Best,> Jade21Was the shea butter heavy on your hair? I have fine hair but a lot of it and I tried a conditioner that had shea butter in it and it did make my hair soft but it weighed it down. Maybe it was mixing the shea butter with other conditioners. How long did you leave it on your hair?
Sug View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:21am
> I recently received some shea butter which I had> ordered after I read about its superior moisturizing> and conditioning properties for the skin and hair> without being greasy and clogging to the pores. I paid> $16.00 for 4oz. That was at a discounted price from> the retail of $20.00. That amount ought to last close> to a year. You need to use so little.> I made a mixture of shea butter and jojoba oil as a> hot oil treatment. My hair was just gorgeous with> shine, elasticity and moisture.> The consistency of shea butter is quite amazing. It's> not like cocoa butter which I had imagined it would> be. When applied to your skin, it melts from your> skin's warmth. I used it on my legs after shaving and> the next morning my skin felt silky and not irritated> in any way.> It's amazing to me that a product derived from Central> Africa can be purchased in its pure state from a> company in Beverly Hills, California:)(La Natura).> I would encourage anyone to try this product.> All the Best,> Jade21Related Link:discount matural foods
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:22am
>Hi, Roberta!I left it on my hair for 45minutes. The shea butter was anything but heavy. It was highly concentrated and did the job exceptionally well with the jojoba.Jade21Was the shea butter heavy on your hair? I have fine> hair but a lot of it and I tried a conditioner that> had shea butter in it and it did make my hair soft but> it weighed it down. Maybe it was mixing the shea> butter with other conditioners. How long did you leave> it on your hair?
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:22am
I would really like to know the source of your jojoba oil and shea butter. This can't be the real stuff.....Caveat Emptor!Jade21
jennifer j View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:22am
> I recently received some shea butter which I had> ordered after I read about its superior moisturizing> and conditioning properties for the skin and hair> without being greasy and clogging to the pores. I paid> $16.00 for 4oz. That was at a discounted price from> the retail of $20.00. That amount ought to last close> to a year. You need to use so little.> I made a mixture of shea butter and jojoba oil as a> hot oil treatment. My hair was just gorgeous with> shine, elasticity and moisture.> The consistency of shea butter is quite amazing. It's> not like cocoa butter which I had imagined it would> be. When applied to your skin, it melts from your> skin's warmth. I used it on my legs after shaving and> the next morning my skin felt silky and not irritated> in any way.How funny... this last week I picked up some shea nut butter from the healthfood store. I think I paid $10 for 4 oz... it *is* expensive, but I really like it. I used it straight on my hair and it worked well. I use another hair oil that's based on basil oil and olive oil that's a lot thinner than the shea nut butter... but my hair seems to get greasy faster when I use it. With the shea nut butter my hair didn't get that oily look, maybe because it's thicker. Neat stuff.-jennifer j
Melissa S. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:22am
> I would really like to know the source of your jojoba> oil and shea butter. This can't be the real stuff.....> Caveat Emptor!> Jade21I assume you are addressing Sug about Discount Natural Foods. They sell really high quality products(coconut oil, joboba oil, panthenal-d, etc) at really low prices. I just got my 5oz. of shea butter for 6 dollars
Sug View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:22am
> I messed up and had to post twice. This message did not have all the info in it. I do get a lot of my natural products and supplements from them. I know we talked through personal email about supplements. I get those through Discount Natural Foods. Along with my apricot oil, shea butter, jojoba oil, and other stuff. It is much more expensive in the stores, than it is on the internet. But I've ordered from them twice, and I've always gotten fast service, and good customer service when I needed it. I learned about DNF from Ethel through her panthenol posts here on HairTalk. Their products have the same ingredients as the ones that I paid twice as much for in the Health Food stores. Everyone that I've heard that uses them hsays that they are high quality. They are a Health Food store, nt=ot just some a warehouse. But they do have great prices.No I do not work for them, but I am impressed by their prices. I am work in the computer training industry.
Sug' View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sug' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:22am
What happened to my other post. When I tried to reply to Jade21's original post, I pushed the enter button instead of tab. But I know I sent a message with price and info on shea butter. I also sent info as to how i use it with the apricot oil as ahot oil treatment. Or at least I thought I did.Can anyone explain to me what happened?
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:22am
Hi!Like AHA's and other 'pricey' items, Shea Butter comes in concentrations-- for example, you are going to pay CONSIDERABLY less for a 13%Shea Butter Concentration than for a 100% concentration. On your container, does it say 100% Shea Butter or are there other ingredients in the list? This may be the reason that Jade paid more-- she has 100%. Many of the other online places also sell Shea Butter at different concentrations and the price of say 13% solution, correlated to the $6 you paid. Just curious is all. Maybe, no matter the concentration, it still works the same.Many regards,Sherry~> I assume you are addressing Sug about Discount Natural> Foods. They sell really high quality products(coconut> oil, joboba oil, panthenal-d, etc) at really low> prices. I just got my 5oz. of shea butter for 6> dollars
Sug' View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sug' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:23am
Sorry, didn't mean to start a controversy. Just trying to pass on valued information on less expensive prices for quality products.I ordered my first jar of shea butter on Monday. It is due to arrive tomorrow. So I don't know the concentration of the product.According to Dr. Suny Amen who posts regularly on Naturallycurly.com she gets her shea butter form DNF, and uses them as gifts for friends. I don't think she would use sub-standard products, but I don't know.I know that shea butter does come in different concentrations. But the processing method also makes a difference in the price. solvent extraction is less expensive than the crushing method. SO maybe that's why the price difference. From all the information that I have read about shea butter, either method is preferable for the cosmetic industry. The crushed method costs more, because is yields less quantity-wise from a single shea nut. The solvent process yields more from a single nut. And there you might have the price difference. Both methods produce high-qualtiy product.If the shea butter is anything like the apricot oil, panthenol-d liquid, vitamins, and jojoba oil that I ordered from them, then it 100% pure. But again, I am basing that on other products that I have purchased from them. I will let you know when I reiceve my stuff.I am waiting with baited-breath for my stuff to come. I can't wait to add it to my homemade shampoo and conditioner recipes. I have also been reading about the beneficial properties of shea butter on the skin. Since I cut my hair short, My skin has become a huge priority for me.Sug'
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:23am
I went to a healthfod store yesterday to check this product out and there were two different brands. They were both in 100% concentrations but one was three times more expensive. I don't know which one to get. Higher prices do not neccesarily mean better quality.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:23am
> Hi, Sug!No controvesy, just a good discussion. I am glad that you are not another advertiser and I'm sorry that I didn't remember you from e-mail. I would have taken the link in the spirit in which it was given--an excellent one.I know it is hard to select quality products sometimes from reputable dealers. I have been down some roads in seeking organic jojoba oil and shea butter. For the 100% shea butter, I was really amazed at that price from the company which you linked. I priced around for shea butter for quite some time, even from international companies and most were slightly more than what I paid. Since I have been using jojoba for sometime now for hair and skin care, I have gotten to the point where I can tell a quality product from use on skin or hair and the results generated.I have e-mailed Dr. S. a few times and I know what quality suggestions she makes, so I don't think she'd be using a substandard product or giving it to friends. However, as you said, your own use will make the decision.Thanks for the suggestion, let me know how you like the product, and sorry for making a faulty assumption. What did happen to your other post?Take care,Jade21Sorry, didn't mean to start a controversy. Just trying> to pass on valued information on less expensive prices> for quality products.> I ordered my first jar of shea butter on Monday. It is> due to arrive tomorrow. So I don't know the> concentration of the product.> According to Dr. Suny Amen who posts regularly on> Naturallycurly.com she gets her shea butter form DNF,> and uses them as gifts for friends. I don't think she> would use sub-standard products, but I don't know.> I know that shea butter does come in different> concentrations. But the processing method also makes a> difference in the price. solvent extraction is less> expensive than the crushing method. SO maybe that's> why the price difference. From all the information> that I have read about shea butter, either method is> preferable for the cosmetic industry. The crushed> method costs more, because is yields less> quantity-wise from a single shea nut. The solvent> process yields more from a single nut. And there you> might have the price difference. Both methods produce> high-qualtiy product.> If the shea butter is anything like the apricot oil,> panthenol-d liquid, vitamins, and jojoba oil that I> ordered from them, then it 100% pure. But again, I am> basing that on other products that I have purchased> from them. I will let you know when I reiceve my> stuff.> I am waiting with baited-breath for my stuff to come.> I can't wait to add it to my homemade shampoo and> conditioner recipes. I have also been reading about> the beneficial properties of shea butter on the skin.> Since I cut my hair short, My skin has become a huge> priority for me.> Sug'
Sug' View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sug' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:23am
I misquoted Dr. Suny as to where whe gets her shea butter.She stated in her message on Natchcurlz that she uses the NOW brand of shea butter. That is the only brand that DNF seems to sell. She never actually stated that she got it from DNF. A false assumption on my part. I just went back through the NC board, and re-read her message.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:23am
Hi Jade,How's it going? Just a quick question-how much jojoba oil and shea butter did you mix together;for example: 1/4 cup oil to how much shea butter (just guessing here, maybe 1/4 cup oil is too much?) Thanks for any help.Holly
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:24am
>Hi, Holly!Hope you have been well. Was glad to see your name recently.I did a 3/4 jojoba, 1/4 shea butter mix. I was in a rush, relatively speaking. I am going to try mixing the shea butter with honey next time.Take care and post more often:)Jade21Hi Jade,> How's it going? Just a quick question-how much jojoba> oil and shea butter did you mix together;for example:> 1/4 cup oil to how much shea butter (just guessing> here, maybe 1/4 cup oil is too much?) Thanks for any> help.> Holly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic