Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHairdresser Union

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Diane K. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hairdresser Union
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:26am
> Diane and William,> Thank-you for your encouragement and great> information. I will show my daughter (the hair> stylist) all the responses when she stops by this> week. We live in WA state and man, was I surprised at> the $100. fee for this state's stylist to join NCA! We> were twice what some pay. Why's that? (You folks need> to teach this ole mamma a thing or two)...> My older sister was a stylist all her life (in St.> Louis)and is retired now, well sort of; you know how> that goes. She rented a booth and only worked two days> a week with a very full schedule. She didn't have an> answer for why there wasn't a union; just said once> you have a following, renting a booth was the way to> go.> Diane, I had to smile when you described how> expressive you folks are. No wonder my sister and> daughter chose this occupation! :-)> I sure appreciate all your helpful advise.> RobynRobyn,Thanks and Good Luck to Ya!!!!!Diane K.
Robyn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:26am
Diane and William,Thank-you for your encouragement and great information. I will show my daughter (the hair stylist) all the responses when she stops by this week. We live in WA state and man, was I surprised at the $100. fee for this state's stylist to join NCA! We were twice what some pay. Why's that? (You folks need to teach this ole mamma a thing or two)...My older sister was a stylist all her life (in St. Louis)and is retired now, well sort of; you know how that goes. She rented a booth and only worked two days a week with a very full schedule. She didn't have an answer for why there wasn't a union; just said once you have a following, renting a booth was the way to go.Diane, I had to smile when you described how expressive you folks are. No wonder my sister and daughter chose this occupation! :-)I sure appreciate all your helpful advise.Robyn
Diane K. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:25am
> Diane,> Thanks for your response. My daughter has been working> 3 years and was used by her employer (a chain) for 3> 1/2 weeks to open/close, do books, make bank deposits,> etc. and cut hair. They refused to give her a raise> for all the extra work. Needless to say, she has put> in her 2 wk notice and will be doing secretarial work> starting on the 19th and doing hair on the side.> Another shop did call her for an interview, but she> was so burnt out she declined and took this other> opportunity. If she gets her own shop some day, the> bookwork will be helpful, but it saddens me that she> couldn't get a 'minimal' raise since in addition to> her duties, she was doing the job of a lady that was> making more than her (and NOT doing hair). A union> would have prevented any of this from happening. I> have written several unions and HAIRSTYLIST NEVER> STARTED A UNION, but you can always start one. In my> search, there were unions for everything; including> janitors....Can't understand why, with all your> training and responsibility you wouldn't want that> protection. I'm not even a hairstylist and I was ready> to run with the flag! :-) If nothing else, those of> you who are in the industry should start a thread> discussing pros and cons and what would be in your> best interest. Good luck to all of you and God bless.> RobynRobyn,Your daughter did get taken advantage of! This industry can be very hard on stylist`s we do stand alone in alot of what we do. Its hard back bracking work and people will take advantage. This is just my opionon but some hairstylist are the worst people to work with. We can be the most friendly one minute but then turn around an back stab you the nexed second. Were a very emotional group of people.But Its also the most rewarding!! How many other jobs do you get to make someone feel like a hundered dollars and a bag of doritos! We can help change a bad attiude to a great one with just our listening skills alone. I have also found life long friends working in this indusrty.Your daughter sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders and taking time away may be best for her at this moment. But while shes away maybe she should investigate other salons and the things that William also talked about.Talk to owners, people who rent chairs whatever it takes to inform herself.(I agree with William about education you can never have enough education).Something I did when I was looking for work (just a hint) I would make an apointment in a salon I realy liked.(for something small, a briad or manicure or shampoo whatever). Then ask yourself to look at things like a customer. Were they friendly when answering the phone? Did you feel comfortable in the lobby? How was the receptionist to you?Were the other stylist nice to each other? Then talk to the slylist ask questions. (we love to talk!) You dont have to give yourself away but ask if these people like there work and the salon. Chances are if you dont like to be theres as a customer you wount like it as a job either!I hope I havent rambled to much. Just keep a possitive attitude, you worked hard for that licencse and 3yrs of work! Dont let the people that give us a bad name take that from you! You desirve the best! I hope you find it soon,Keep Smiling,Diane
Diane K. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:25am
> Diane,> Thanks also for the NCA, magazines and URL> information. We'll check them out. Take care.Robyn,Im glad I could help!! Its a great thing when one stylist can help another. The best of luck to you!!Diane
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:25am
> Diane,> Thanks also for the NCA, magazines and URL> information. We'll check them out. Take care.To Robyn and Daughter;I think that the reason that there is not much in the way of collective representation for cosmetology is that after the first year or so most stylists go to a 'booth rental' way of operating and are in effect in business for themselves, only leasing space from the salon to work in. Also be careful when working in a salon on a percentage basis, you can get the short end of the deal if you don't have a set of books that you keep on every service/sale that you perform to be sure that you keep the salon owner 'honest' when it comes payday. I would advise you to look into the booth rental plan as early as possible in your career, as there is definitly certain tax advantages and income advantages. Advice to your daughter- attend every educational seminar/training session that you can and become very proficient technically in perming and coloring, especially color corrections, and you will never have to look back, only forward. Always remember the 5-P's of life, PROPER PLANNING PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE! Proper planning for any service, whether chemical or not, begins with the 'personal touch', and you will be rewarded with more business than you can take care of! william
Robyn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:25am
Diane,Thanks also for the NCA, magazines and URL information. We'll check them out. Take care.
Robyn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:25am
> Robyn,> The only thing that Im aware of for hairstylist is the> NCA National Cosmetolgy Association. The address is> 401 North Michigan Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60611> 1800-527-1683.> Your right about Hairstlist as well as manacurist> being on there own. It makes it difficult but dont let> it sway you from the industry. This is a great feild> to be working for ! Good luck to you and your daughter> shes going to do great especialy with a mom to help> support her. The first year is always the hardest, if> you can get throught that then your golded.> PS. You should both try and read salon magazines> (American Salon and Moderen Salon) and check out> WWW.HAIRNET.COM Thes are great learnning tools!(Im> still learning even after> 8yrs in the industry)> Good Luck, Diane K.Diane,Thanks for your response. My daughter has been working 3 years and was used by her employer (a chain) for 3 1/2 weeks to open/close, do books, make bank deposits, etc. and cut hair. They refused to give her a raise for all the extra work. Needless to say, she has put in her 2 wk notice and will be doing secretarial work starting on the 19th and doing hair on the side. Another shop did call her for an interview, but she was so burnt out she declined and took this other opportunity. If she gets her own shop some day, the bookwork will be helpful, but it saddens me that she couldn't get a 'minimal' raise since in addition to her duties, she was doing the job of a lady that was making more than her (and NOT doing hair). A union would have prevented any of this from happening. I have written several unions and HAIRSTYLIST NEVER STARTED A UNION, but you can always start one. In my search, there were unions for everything; including janitors....Can't understand why, with all your training and responsibility you wouldn't want that protection. I'm not even a hairstylist and I was ready to run with the flag! :-) If nothing else, those of you who are in the industry should start a thread discussing pros and cons and what would be in your best interest. Good luck to all of you and God bless. Robyn
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:24am
> Hi folks, just found this message board. Can any> hairdresser/cosmetologists/barbers tell me if there is> a union for you folks. If so please e-mail me with the> info; if not, why not.> My daughter is in the industry and I am shocked that> after all the training, taking state board exams, the> responsibility you have to color, perm, cut hair, and> in some shops do nails and do hair removal, etc. that> you don't have a union representing you in better pay> and benefits. It seems the hairdresser's are doing all> the work; the salon owner is making all the money. Is> it just me, or what's wrong with this picture? Thanks> for your response. If you prefer email me at> tortise@email.msn.comRobyn,The only thing that Im aware of for hairstylist is the NCA National Cosmetolgy Association. The address is 401 North Michigan Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60611 1800-527-1683.Your right about Hairstlist as well as manacurist being on there own. It makes it difficult but dont let it sway you from the industry. This is a great feild to be working for ! Good luck to you and your daughter shes going to do great especialy with a mom to help support her. The first year is always the hardest, if you can get throught that then your golded.PS. You should both try and read salon magazines (American Salon and Moderen Salon) and check out WWW.HAIRNET.COM Thes are great learnning tools!(Im still learning even after8yrs in the industry)Good Luck, Diane K.
Robyn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:22am
Hi folks, just found this message board. Can any hairdresser/cosmetologists/barbers tell me if there is a union for you folks. If so please e-mail me with the info; if not, why not.My daughter is in the industry and I am shocked that after all the training, taking state board exams, the responsibility you have to color, perm, cut hair, and in some shops do nails and do hair removal, etc. that you don't have a union representing you in better pay and benefits. It seems the hairdresser's are doing all the work; the salon owner is making all the money. Is it just me, or what's wrong with this picture? Thanks for your response. If you prefer email me at tortise@email.msn.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic