Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedgood store brands for damaged hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: good store brands for damaged hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:24am
I've just run into some financial trouble and can't afford salon brands for right now so I'd really appreciate anyone using store brands who have dry/damaged fine hair to let me know which ones worked best without weighing your hair down or leaving a coating on it. Thanks!
LittleO View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:24am
I really like Aussie. Its such a good brand.They don't put really harsh things into the shampoo and the shampoos work really good, they cleanse, moisturize and leave your hair soft and clean. The conditioners make your hair shiny manageable and don't weigh it down or produce build up.They don't test their products on animals and have a wide range of different types of products for your different hair needs.Another good brand that you can find in most stores is Nature's GateI really love Nature's Gate. It does everything that Aussie does but is even more close to nature than ever.
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:24am
> I really like Aussie. Its such a good brand.> They don't put really harsh things into the shampoo> and the shampoos work really good, they cleanse,> moisturize and leave your hair soft and clean. The> conditioners make your hair shiny manageable and don't> weigh it down or produce build up.> They don't test their products on animals and have a> wide range of different types of products for your> different hair needs.> Another good brand that you can find in most stores is> Nature's Gate> I really love Nature's Gate. It does everything that> Aussie does but is even more close to nature than> ever.I've read some of the ingredients in Aussie shampoos and have seen sodium lauryl sulfate in most of them. Isn't this harsh on your hair? I've tried the 3 minute miracle and like it but am afraid of trying the shampoos.
Elisabella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:24am
> I've just run into some financial trouble and can't> afford salon brands for right now so I'd really> appreciate anyone using store brands who have> dry/damaged fine hair to let me know which ones worked> best without weighing your hair down or leaving a> coating on it. Thanks!I use Nature's Gate keratin shampoo with panthenol and conditioner. I like these better than salon products. I also use Aussie's 3 minute miracle deep conditioner. I color my hair so I need the moisturizing. Try these and you probably won't go back to salon products. Hope they work out. :)
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:24am
Hi there!First let me say that I also think that the 3 minute miracle is just that- a miracle-- However, you all should be aware that Aussie shampoos DO contain a fixative- I believe it is a form of Guar. Fixatives, given time, will build up on your hair and leave it feeling stiff and brittle. Just thought I'd let ya all know-- it is a rather good line though :)Sherry~> I really like Aussie. Its such a good brand.> They don't put really harsh things into the shampoo> and the shampoos work really good, they cleanse,> moisturize and leave your hair soft and clean. The> conditioners make your hair shiny manageable and don't> weigh it down or produce build up.> They don't test their products on animals and have a> wide range of different types of products for your> different hair needs.> Another good brand that you can find in most stores is> Nature's Gate> I really love Nature's Gate. It does everything that> Aussie does but is even more close to nature than> ever.
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:24am
Roberta,SLS IS the most harsh cleansing agent that you can put on your hair-- avoid it at all cost, meaning if Aussie's gotit, look the other way :)Sherry~> I've read some of the ingredients in Aussie shampoos> and have seen sodium lauryl sulfate in most of them.> Isn't this harsh on your hair? I've tried the 3 minute> miracle and like it but am afraid of trying the> shampoos.
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:24am
Look at the Aussie labels more closely. Most of the shampoos contain Sodium LaurETH Sulfate wich is suposedly more gentle than Lauryl. However, i'd take all the hoopla about sodium lauryl sulfate being harsh with a grain of salt. Most hairdressers love to say that because they want you to buy overpriced salon products. One of the best shampoos I've found is St. Ives vanilla strengthening shampoo which contains Sodium lauryl Sulfate. One of the best tips for damaged hair is to only shampoo the scalp. HTH
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:24am
> I tried to post this early today-maybe it's floating around and I don't see it, but I received an email that had been forwarded to me (I don't know the original source, nor can I say whether it's accurate or not)but the email stated that sodium lauryl sulfate has been known to cause cancer. It was orignially intended as a cleaner-degreaser for auto shops, and "store brands" use it because it is cheap, and maked a lot of lather. I stay away from it at all costs. Colgate toothe paste also contains SLS.Roberta,> SLS IS the most harsh cleansing agent that you can put> on your hair-- avoid it at all cost, meaning if> Aussie's gotit, look the other way :)> Sherry~
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:25am
> Roberta,I just found a really good website on sodium lauryl sulfate that will end all myths. It DOES NOT cause cancer, however, it IS a very harsh detergent used to increase the lather in shampoo (contrary to popular belief shampoo does not need to lather a lot in order to clean). Also, Aussie shampoo contains BOTH sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate. In my experience anytime I've used a shampoo with sodium lauryl sulfate it has been very dry and tangled. Some salon brands also contain sodium lauryl sulfate so this is not a ploy to get people to spend more money. Hope this info helps everyone.Related Link:Shampoo-Poo
Elisabella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:25am
> Look at the Aussie labels more closely. Most of the> shampoos contain Sodium LaurETH Sulfate wich is> suposedly more gentle than Lauryl. However, i'd take> all the hoopla about sodium lauryl sulfate being harsh> with a grain of salt. Most hairdressers love to say> that because they want you to buy overpriced salon> products. One of the best shampoos I've found is St.> Ives vanilla strengthening shampoo which contains> Sodium lauryl Sulfate. One of the best tips for> damaged hair is to only shampoo the scalp. HTHI use Aussie's 3 minute miracle and I found 1 ingredient that is sodium lauriminodipropionate. If anyone can tell me what this is and if this is harmful to hair let me know.I love the way it left my hair and I hope I don't have to stop using it. Also Nature's Gate products do not use sodium laurel sulfate.
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:25am
> Thank you Roberta. It's good to know that it doesn't cause cancer, but I'm going to stay away just the same. I've had the same problems with the shampoos-they leave my hair dry, and although my hair isn't damaged, it's texure is so coarse that I need more conditioning than most store brands are capable of.I just found a really good website on sodium lauryl> sulfate that will end all myths. It DOES NOT cause> cancer, however, it IS a very harsh detergent used to> increase the lather in shampoo (contrary to popular> belief shampoo does not need to lather a lot in order> to clean). Also, Aussie shampoo contains BOTH sodium> laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate. In my> experience anytime I've used a shampoo with sodium> lauryl sulfate it has been very dry and tangled. Some> salon brands also contain sodium lauryl sulfate so> this is not a ploy to get people to spend more money.> Hope this info helps everyone.
LittleO View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:25am
Gosh, its hard sorting out facts from fiction.everything nowadays causes cancer. I loved to eat a certain preserved plum called Li Hing Mui a lot but I stopped eating it after a while when I found out that the saccarin in it can cause cancer.Now I don't eat it as much and I don't have as much fun :(However, I think that the things we can avoid from causing cancer, we should avoid.I'm glad to hear that SLS doesn't cause cancer. I have one question though, does Ammonium Laureth Sulfate cause cancer?I really like some store brands, even if they are harsh on my hair, it makes my hair FEEL very silky and soft, manageable and shiny.Even though, I think my best bet is to stick to things that don't contain really harsh ingredients.Thank you very much though, its releiving :) good searching!!!
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:25am
Hi there!As an aspiring biologist I am well aware of the fact that the public needs to be informed on any health risks. However, Little O is right when she wonders what actually has a good deal of substantiated evidence surrounding it. This is truth-- just living causes cancer-- it is a know fact that are bodies carry cancer cells, however, or immune system does a pretty good job of keeping them in check-- it is certain irritants that in the end sets them off. For instance, did you know that drinking tea WITHOUT adding milk can cause esophogeal cancer (from the tanic acid)? Or did you know that char-grilling can cause stomach cancer (from the severely denatured proteins)? Believe me, there are others-- but if we worried day in and day out about them, we would go crazy, 'cause you just can't get away from irritants. Your best bet, eat a good diet, exercise and get pleanty of sleep-- this way you keep your immune system in check (that is what you should be worrying about anyway:) Hope this helps~Sherry (not a physician, just a pre-med student who likes to read)> Gosh, its hard sorting out facts from fiction.> everything nowadays causes cancer. I loved to eat a> certain preserved plum called Li Hing Mui a lot but I> stopped eating it after a while when I found out that> the saccarin in it can cause cancer.> Now I don't eat it as much and I don't have as much> fun :(> However, I think that the things we can avoid from> causing cancer, we should avoid.> I'm glad to hear that SLS doesn't cause cancer. I have> one question though, does Ammonium Laureth Sulfate> cause cancer?> I really like some store brands, even if they are> harsh on my hair, it makes my hair FEEL very silky and> soft, manageable and shiny.> Even though, I think my best bet is to stick to things> that don't contain really harsh ingredients.> Thank you very much though, its releiving :) good> searching!!!
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:26am
> Hi there!> As an aspiring biologist I am well aware of the fact> that the public needs to be informed on any health> risks. However, Little O is right when she wonders> what actually has a good deal of substantiated> evidence surrounding it. This is truth-- just living> causes cancer-- it is a know fact that are bodies> carry cancer cells, however, or immune system does a> pretty good job of keeping them in check-- it is> certain irritants that in the end sets them off. For> instance, did you know that drinking tea WITHOUT> adding milk can cause esophogeal cancer (from the> tanic acid)? Or did you know that char-grilling can> cause stomach cancer (from the severely denatured> proteins)? Believe me, there are others-- but if we> worried day in and day out about them, we would go> crazy, 'cause you just can't get away from irritants.> Your best bet, eat a good diet, exercise and get> pleanty of sleep-- this way you keep your immune> system in check (that is what you should be worrying> about anyway:) Hope this helps~> Sherry (not a physician, just a pre-med student who> likes to read)I'm not worried about what causes cancer and what doesn't - I just want to find a shampoo that doesn't make my hair feel like straw! :)Related Link:Shampoo-Poo
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:26am
When it comes down to it-- I totally agree! Well said Roberta :)> I'm not worried about what causes cancer and what> doesn't - I just want to find a shampoo that doesn't> make my hair feel like straw! :)
LittleO View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:26am
Yes, Its true.When I look for a shampoo, I mostly look at the ingredients, but things such as Aubrey's Organics are very gentle to your hair but it leaves my hair feeling dry and frizzy! Aussie is in a way harsh, but I love it! Pantene has super harsh ingredients, but it makes my hair feel like glass.If we followed day by day the things that we would have to avoid getting cancer, we wouldn't do anything, eat anything, go anywhere, breathe or anything! I guess life basically all comes down to enjoying it and taking basic care of your body getting good sleep, eating healthy, exercising etc. What good is living a long life if we can't enjoy it? :)Thank you everyone for your input, I look at cancer from a whole different perspective now.
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:26am
Terax is one of the best and most expensive shamoos on the market and it contains Sodium Laurel Sulfate as one of the fist ingredients. It is not harsh, it just adds a bit of fluffiness to your hair. As for Pantene, who cares if the ingredients are "harsh" if they make your hair look good? Natural ingredients are not neccesarily better for hair than synthetic ones.
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:26am
> Terax is one of the best and most expensive shamoos on> the market and it contains Sodium Laurel Sulfate as> one of the fist ingredients. It is not harsh, it just> adds a bit of fluffiness to your hair. As for Pantene,> who cares if the ingredients are "harsh" if> they make your hair look good? Natural ingredients are> not neccesarily better for hair than synthetic ones.I care if the ingredients are harsh if they make my hair feel dry and tangled. You should also be concerned about using products with sodium lauryl sulfate if you color your hair because this stuff is so strong it takes the color right out of your hair. I've noticed it's in a lot of salon brands that are meant for colored hair which I don't understand since it has this affect. If SLS doesn't bother your hair go for it but it drys my already damaged hair out so that's why I'm staying away from it.Related Link:Shampoo-Poo
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:26am
I agree, and Pantene WILL make your hair look great for maybe even a couple years, but with my own experience and the others that I've read, the many silicones in it are just going to damage your hair eventually. There are others that do just as great a job-better-even though you may have to pay more. I must admit though that back when my hair wasn't as long as it is now the Aussie shampoo for dry hair-either Mega or the other for moisturizing (can't remember the name)did seem to be alright, but it must not have lasted or something because i quit using it and that was even before i was ingredient savvy. I still wouldn't recommend using it just for the fact that Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is an ingredient (with Sodium Laureth Sulfate, too! Why TWO detergents?)and not because of the cancer scare although I think it should be considered but not obssessed about, but just because it's just too darn harsh for the hair. When there are so many other shampoos/conditioners to try, why bother with inferior products? It sort of defeats the purpose.Holly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic