Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhair tip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shannon G. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannon G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair tip
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:33am
A few days ago the hair tip was to tie your hair back if you sleep on your back because sleeping this way causes hair breakage. I generally sleep on my back but I make a point to drape my hair up above me over the pillow, Is this good enough? Also how would tying your hair back help? you will still be laying on it. Also my hair holds kinks (from hair bands/braids) very easily and it also goes limp if tied back for too long, is that the only way to keep it safe while I sleep?Any help appreciated, thanksShannon G.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:33am
Shannon G,I was thinking of asking the same thing. I usually sleep with my hair put up in a high ponytail with a satin scrunchie as these are gentle to your hair. My question however, is whether pulling it up in a semi-tight ponytail do any damage to hair OR roots. I have been sleeping with mine very loose JUST IN CASE sleeping with it even semi-tight is harmful.Any advice anyone?Thanks so muchHolly
Veronica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:33am
> Shannon G and Holly,I wear a satin cap, sleep on a satin pillowcase, and never fasten my hair with anything at night. I make a loose coil at the nape of my neck and the cap keeps my hair together and tangle-free. So far, I have not had any breakage.I am African-American with collarbone length hair (permed) which I started growing out from a crew cut about 3 years ago.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:33am
Hi!I have been using a satin nightcap since I was a child and have found it to be superior. Sometimes, I use a satin pillowcase, but not on a regular basis. The satin cap keeps your hair soft, definitely deters breakage and catches any shedding, if any, from turning during the night.Shannon, I think that your method is the next best thing to the satin nightcap. You might add a satin pillowcase to your method. A lot of women sleep with a loose braid which works well, too.Holly, I would not recommend using anything to bind or tie your hair at night, even if it is satin or silk. A friend of mine swears by silk scarves, but I still wonder. She uses the scarf to tie her hair in two places, not to surround her hair.Question for Shannon: How has your method worked out for you? Simply draping the hair above you that is. My real question is that soon, I think I will have to start making my satin caps because I am having problems finding one large enough to hold my hair comfortably. I usually start out sleeping on my stomach to fall asleep, but sometime during the night I must turn because I always, always wake up on my back. Do you think your sleeping method for dealing with your hair would work for me? I don't want to wake up with my hair tangled and messy, you know?Bye for now,Jade21A few days ago the hair tip was to tie your hair back> if you sleep on your back because sleeping this way> causes hair breakage. I generally sleep on my back but> I make a point to drape my hair up above me over the> pillow, Is this good enough? Also how would tying your> hair back help? you will still be laying on it. Also> my hair holds kinks (from hair bands/braids) very> easily and it also goes limp if tied back for too> long, is that the only way to keep it safe while I> sleep?> Any help appreciated, thanks> Shannon G.
Shannon G. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannon G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:33am
Well so far it works well but my hair is not even bra strap length yet so who knows. The only drawback would be if you change position alot without realizing it. I have gotten used to moving my hair out of the way whenever I switch positions, so it might take some getting used to.The satin cap sounds like a good idea but I don't know if I could stand having something on my head all night. But then I'll do just about anything to have "good" hair. Are the caps comfortable? How do they fasten? Is my husband going to laugh at me when he see's it? :)I have thought seriously about getting satin sheets and pillow cases but don't have the funds yet so the cap might be a good alternative.Also Jade I believe you use either Natures Gate or Aubrey Organics ( I can't remember which) Is what you use Castille Based? My main question is are Castille based shampoos really more gentle than sulfate based ones? I have read posts from people that say there hair looks like straw after using it but would like to know from someone who uses it on a regular basis. I am thinking of making my own shampoo or possibly trying Aubrey/NG.Thanks,Shannon G.
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:33am
HI Jade 21,Where do you get the satin nightcaps?Thanks,Clare> Hi!> I have been using a satin nightcap since I was a child> and have found it to be superior. Sometimes, I use a> satin pillowcase, but not on a regular basis. The> satin cap keeps your hair soft, definitely deters> breakage and catches any shedding, if any, from> turning during the night.> Shannon, I think that your method is the next best> thing to the satin nightcap. You might add a satin> pillowcase to your method. A lot of women sleep with a> loose braid which works well, too.> Holly, I would not recommend using anything to bind or> tie your hair at night, even if it is satin or silk. A> friend of mine swears by silk scarves, but I still> wonder. She uses the scarf to tie her hair in two> places, not to surround her hair.> Question for Shannon: How has your method worked out> for you? Simply draping the hair above you that is. My> real question is that soon, I think I will have to> start making my satin caps because I am having> problems finding one large enough to hold my hair> comfortably. I usually start out sleeping on my> stomach to fall asleep, but sometime during the night> I must turn because I always, always wake up on my> back. Do you think your sleeping method for dealing> with your hair would work for me? I don't want to wake> up with my hair tangled and messy, you know?> Bye for now,> Jade21> A few days ago the hair tip was to tie your hair back
Clare
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:34am
Hi, Clare!I used to get them regularly at a beauty supply shop. Then, one day, I noticed that my local drug store had started selling them. The drug store is CVS. I have not seen them at Rite Aid, but I think Target sells them, too.I liked the ones at CVS so much because they came in two sizes, average to large and extra-large. They also come in a variety of colors and designs:) They sort of reminded me of the kind my mom used to make out of a satin pillowcase--only not as heavy:)Bye for now,Jade21HI Jade 21,> Where do you get the satin nightcaps?> Thanks,> Clare
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:34am
>Hi, Shannon!Thanks so much for your input. I'm going to try to answer your questions, too.Well so far it works well but my hair is not even bra> strap length yet so who knows. The only drawback would> be if you change position alot without realizing it. I> have gotten used to moving my hair out of the way> whenever I switch positions, so it might take some> getting used to.> The satin cap sounds like a good idea but I don't know> if I could stand having something on my head all> night. But then I'll do just about anything to have> "good" hair. Are the caps comfortable? How> do they fasten? Is my husband going to laugh at me> when he see's it? :)I've found the satin caps to be extremely comfortable, but I can't say I remember a time when I didn't wear one. The best thing to do is to get the kind which is true satin and has non-adjustable elastic all the way around the cap. I must have about twelve satin caps in one of my dresser drawers. I put them into the cold wash cycle with my unmentionables each week and either hang to dry or continue with a mild dryer cycle. Your washings should coincide with when you wash your hair. I have found that the caps which have the adjustable elastic are usually poorly made and you will wake up with the cap off of your head. Also, they do not last as longThe husband/boyfriend issue. I have been through this, girl! I sort of sprung this on him and he laughed. For me, I think that for sleep time, he would rather have the hair in the cap than in his mouth when we get up:) Maybe, what you could tell your husband is that it's all for a good cause [big grin]. You can also just wait to put it on until right before you turn off the light. That's what I do.> I have thought seriously about getting satin sheets> and pillow cases but don't have the funds yet so the> cap might be a good alternative.Definitely. I saw some gorgeous creamy sheet sets that I was going to buy until I saw the price. I think it was near $300 for everything. Nevertheless, you can get a couple of satin pillowcases for around $20.> Also Jade I believe you use either Natures Gate or> Aubrey Organics ( I can't remember which) Is what you> use Castille Based? My main question is are Castille> based shampoos really more gentle than sulfate based> ones? I have read posts from people that say there> hair looks like straw after using it but would like to> know from someone who uses it on a regular basis. I am> thinking of making my own shampoo or possibly trying> Aubrey/NG.I use Aubrey Organics. All of the shampoos are castile-based. I would recommend that you try one of the Aubrey Try-Me-Out shampoos. You get about 3oz of a particular shampoo just to see if you like it. I have a hard time understanding why so many people say the Aubrey shampoos leave the hair like straw. My hair was straw-like before I started using the Aubrey line and now it's balanced like never before. The only shampoo which I hated was the Blue Green Algae shampoo. It left my hair and scalp as dry as a bone. I have had a continuing dialogue with Aubrey Organics about the products which I have tried. Most recently, I wrote to them about the J.A.Y. because I had been using it for over a year and one-half without a problem. Then, I noticed my hair was a bit dry. Apparently, I was not the only customer with the question. They decided to alter the formula to make it more moisturizing in view of the questions from customers. They took my bottles and gave me new ones. I have never been able to use a shampoo this long without switching up.I think the trick with Aubrey shampoos is to use the correct amount for your hair. Once you do that, the likelihood of dry hair is less. I had to find something because the sodium lauryl sulfate was really irritating my scalp. I have no problems with my scalp using Aubrey shampoos. Besides the J.A.Y. shampoo, I have grown to love the Honeysuckle Rose, Blue Chamomile, and Island Naturals. The Blue Chamomile is like nothing I have ever used. Blue Chamomile from Morocco--heaven in a bottle! The ones I've mentioned are for hair which tends to get dry. I think your best bet is to start with one of these in the try-me-out size, unless your hair is super oily.Another company which I would recommend to you is Jason Naturals. They make a shampoo which I have tried which is a tea tree oil variety, but has no sodium laurly sulfate in it. Their base is not olive oil(castile), but I think it's called bassou oil. It's a wonderful, stimulating shampoo to the scalp and the senses. Tremendous suds if you are looking for that!I have not tried Nature's Gate, but from Cher's review and from what I have heard the shampoos are good, too. I have been leery about NG only because it contains the sodium lauryl sulfate. I don't want my scalp to rebel:)Hope this helps...All the Best,Jade21> Thanks,> Shannon G.
me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:34am
n/m
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:35am
Thanks Veronica and Jade for your advice on the hair scrunchie question.It's funny, I thought I knew everything as far as sleeping and how to wear your hair, but I was wrong. I never heard of a satin nightcap, I don't think, but the idea makes sense! I'm going to find one a.s.a.p., and use it along with the satin pillowcase I've been using for years.Thanks again, to everybody!Holly
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:35am
What?You can find Aubrey Organics at most health food stores,some mail order companies like the Vitamin Shoppe [20-40% discount, 1-800-223-1216, www.vitaminshoppe.com], and Aubrey Organics directly [1-800-AUBREY H or www.aubrey-organics.com]Hope this was what you wanted....Jade21
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic