Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBest way to treat hair when swimming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to treat hair when swimming
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:41am
During the summer months, I do alot of swimming and I know what chlorine does to hair and the sheer amount of stress water puts on the hair. I'm concerned mainly with the best way to wear my hair while swimming that gives the least amount of damage to my hair. I've considered a hair cap, but the thought of peeling it off my head chills me. I can just see a huge pile of hair going with it.What is the best thing for me to do with my hair while swimming?
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:41am
Dear Wendy,I just wanted to tell you not to be afraid of wearing a swim cap. I wear a cap about 99% of the time when swimming, especially with chlorinated pools. Salt water is supposed to be equally as bad, but, at least for me, the chlorine can do some ugly things:)I would recommend that you try a paper-thin cap first if you are worried about hair being pulled or coming out from the cap. Personally, I have two relatively thin caps and two which are thicker. I have not found much hair coming out from either. Usually, I will catch more hair from the "kitchen area" (very back of your hair) due to my nails more than anything else. Just handle with care. I think most people prefer the thinner caps, but I think the thicker caps which aren't that thick keep more water out. What I do is try to get as much of my hair to the top of my head before putting on the cap. Either something like a high bun or a braid encircled on the top of my head. Especially with chlorine, be sure to rinse your cap with cold water after you are done with it, just like your swimsuit. That keeps it from being damaged severely from the chemicals.If you choose not to wear a cap, after your hair is wet from the chlorinated or salt water, be sure to rinse in water and put some conditioner on your hair. Also, find a good style for your hair, like a single, loose braid if it is long-I do this when not wearing a cap. You might also look back in the messages here (about a week ago) for suggestions I made to a lifeguard.Bye for now,Jade21During the summer months, I do alot of swimming and I> know what chlorine does to hair and the sheer amount> of stress water puts on the hair. I'm concerned mainly> with the best way to wear my hair while swimming that> gives the least amount of damage to my hair. I've> considered a hair cap, but the thought of peeling it> off my head chills me. I can just see a huge pile of> hair going with it.> What is the best thing for me to do with my hair while> swimming?
Kara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:42am
a way to keep the cap from pulling your hair, sprinkle baby powder on the cap after you rinse it out, which you should do after swimming. this makes it slide over your hair easily
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:42am
If you perfer to swim without a cap the best thing is to wet your hair before plungeing in. After your swim rinse well with non clorinated water. When you leave shampoo and condition.Wetting hair first seals the hair shafts and makes it more diffucult for chlorine to enter. A weekly deep conditioning would help also if you swim a lot.A swim cap can help also. A really watertight seal can be obtained and you can keep hair dry if you wear two caps,one a plain racing cap,then a second cap over the first with a strap. If the first does not cover your ears..cut a hole in the top to allow it to pull down well. This will be a tight fitting cap..another method is to wet hair and apply conditioner then wear a cap. The wet hair is sealed and conditioned as I explained . Also the conditioner will not rinse out in the pool.The classic strap caps slip on very easily. The best are the bubble-crepe caps.They are now available in sizes and you can get a good fit tighter or looser if you wish. They do not pull hair! and if you want to easily slip them on sprinkle with baby powder as the post before notes or with cornstarch.The racing caps that are made of latex are real bad for hair pulling because they tend to curl up..Thats when your hair goes with the curl and when you remove the cap...hair! If interested go to www.watergear.com for the bubble cap in sizes.
Melissa Carter View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Carter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:42am
Hi,I`m a swimmer too & I had my hair cut short last summer as it is hard to take care off it when you swim regularly.I used to have mid back length hair but i had it clippered short as it was really getting damaged by chlorine.It was such a relief!Saved so much time & my hair became healthy.During the winter i grew it out to chin length & now i`m gonna cut it short again for the swimming season.If you have any questions feel free to email me.I think you should cut it,you wont regret it!
hmm View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:42am
> Hi,> I`m a swimmer too & I had my hair cut short last> summer as it is hard to take care off it when you swim> regularly.> I used to have mid back length hair but i had it> clippered short as it was really getting damaged by> chlorine.> It was such a relief!> Saved so much time & my hair became healthy.> During the winter i grew it out to chin length &> now i`m gonna cut it short again for the swimming> season.> If you have any questions feel free to email me.> I think you should cut it,you wont regret it!
kathleen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:43am
What right do you have to say such a thing? You, my dear seem to be the troll.
wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:43am
Which person are you deeming a "Troll"? I don't see anyone that fits that category!
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:43am
I am not the person who posted the above message. But, I see a common thread to this post and the one mentioned as a troll alert earlier...they both have people talking about cutting their hair short and seeming to encourage it in some way. Is that what you mean, troll-watcher?> What right do you have to say such a thing? You, my> dear seem to be the troll.
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:43am
hmm. Troll Alert ? What are you talking about? If you don't have suggestions or any real advice don't post useless messages. This is a great site because there are a lot of people sharing idea,s! Thats what it is all about!
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:47am
Several years ago I used to swim laps 6 times a week. I wet the hair, applied conditioner, and then put on a cap. BTW, I used nylon/spandex caps which obviously do not pull the hair at all! They're wonderful! The only person I knew who didn't wear a cap when swimming had very short hair that was frequently trimmed so the damaged hair was always cut off.
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:47am
> Several years ago I used to swim laps 6 times a week.> I wet the hair, applied conditioner, and then put on a> cap. BTW, I used nylon/spandex caps which obviously do> not pull the hair at all! They're wonderful! The only> person I knew who didn't wear a cap when swimming had> very short hair that was frequently trimmed so the> damaged hair was always cut off.I have posted several messages on caps. conditioning ect, This message is about what swimmers should NOT DO! The worst thing you can do to your hair this summer is lay in the sun then jump in the pool..come out and lay down again in the sun without rinseing or anything! Lots of people do it! The chlorine is baked into the hair and the damage is doubled! Wetting hair before swimming is the easiest thing anyone can do if you don't want to wear a cap! It really makes a big difference! If you do want to put some conditioner in please wear a cap ! You can guess how pools will be looking if everyone conditions and goes in with out a cap! The conditioner will rinse out in the pool AND MAKE A MESS! Then pools may go back to the rule of requireing a cap which no one wants! Also remember to cover up in the sun! Get a big chic sun hat to keep as much sun off as possible ! You dont have to wear it all day,wearing it off and on will help keep sun damage down or stay in a shady spot around the pool if you can get there first!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic