Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedShea Butter Advice Please =8)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Debi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shea Butter Advice Please =8)
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:44am
Thanks to everyone for giving me info on where to purchase Shea Butter. In the March '99 issue of 'In-Style' Magazine, there's a list of 135 Best Beauty Buys, some of which are for hair. One product is JF Lazartigue Pre-Shampoo w/Shea Butter ($51 for 6.8 oz.!!) It's supposed to be very theraputic for color-treated, damaged hair, but too expensive for me. I'm wondering if Shea Butter alone would be as effective, or if I could mix it in with a good conditioner and leave it on overnight? Has anyone had a good/bad experience with Shea Butter? Thanks for any suggestions!
MiladyC
Kara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:44am
ive never tried shea butter alone, but i use the jf lazartigue preshampoo cream, and its incredible. i think its definitely worth the price, and its really helping my very damaged hair
Debi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:44am
>Thanks for your info! Where did you buy the JF Lazartigue?ive never tried shea butter alone, but i use the jf> lazartigue preshampoo cream, and its incredible. i> think its definitely worth the price, and its really> helping my very damaged hair
MiladyC
Debi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:45am
Are there any other products that you know of that have the shea butter ingredient that are less expensive than the Lazartigue?
MiladyC
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:45am
Hi, Debi!I have been doing a 1/4 pure shea butter and 3/4 jojoba oil as a hot oil treatment. I like that better than pure shea butter amazingly. It leaves your hair ultra-soft, manageable and shiny. It is supposed to be excellent for damaged hair. I think that you would notice quite a difference rather quickly.I can't imagine spending that much money on a shampoo:)Take care,Jade21Thanks to everyone for giving me info on where to> purchase Shea Butter. In the March '99 issue of> 'In-Style' Magazine, there's a list of 135 Best Beauty> Buys, some of which are for hair. One product is JF> Lazartigue Pre-Shampoo w/Shea Butter ($51 for 6.8> oz.!!) It's supposed to be very theraputic for> color-treated, damaged hair, but too expensive for me.> I'm wondering if Shea Butter alone would be as> effective, or if I could mix it in with a good> conditioner and leave it on overnight? Has anyone had> a good/bad experience with Shea Butter? Thanks for any> suggestions!
michelle View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:45am
> Are there any other products that you know of that> have the shea butter ingredient that are less> expensive than the Lazartigue?I am a black women with natural unprocessed hair and shea butter is my best kept beauty secret :) I use it on my wet hair after shampooing and in between shampooing on dry hair. I only use about the size of a dime and I rub it between my hands until it becomes clear. ( natural shea butter is a very thick paste ). Most health food stores have it. You should be able to get a nice size jar for $6-10 dollars and it could last you several months to a year! Just use a very small amount since you don't need much. I have curly hair and it holds in the needed moisture and enhances the curl.
Kara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:45am
> i ordered it from the jf lazartigue salon. the number is 1-800-359-9345. if you do want something cheaper, sebastian potion 7 is basically a copy of the jf lazartigue. it has shea butter, and is used the same way (on dry hair, then you shampoo it out) however, my results were not as good with this. i feel the jf lazartigue is really worth it my hair is looking so healthy since i started using it.
Debi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:45am
KARA: How often do you use it and how long do you keep it on? Is it safe to leave on overnight, or to use with a heat cap? Thanks for all your help.
MiladyC
Kara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:46am
debi -no problem. the way i use it is the day im deep conditioning, i wash with a clarifying shampoo and condition regularly in the morning, and use no styling products that day. than night, i brush my hair really well and apply it to my dry hair. then i put a towel on my pillow and leave it in overnight (bonus, it smells delicious). in the morning, i wash it out with my regular shampoo and condition regularly again. and i stlye as usual. i use it every eighth day, so the day i dont style is different every week. im sure its perfectly fine to use it with a heat cap. by the way, the directions say to leave it in at least two hours; so overnight is probably the easiest way to use it because who has two hours to sit around with gunk on their hair?
taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:47am
GEEEZ!!! For $51.00 for 6.8oz a hairstylist better pop out of the bottle....lol
Debi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:47am
> GEEEZ!!! For $51.00 for 6.8oz a hairstylist better pop> out of the bottle....lolHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That was hysterical - and true!! =8)
MiladyC
Jasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:49am
I haven's used it yet but I will probably be checking it out soon because $51 is just way too much for me to spend. They have a web site, I will put the link below.> Thanks to everyone for giving me info on where to> purchase Shea Butter. In the March '99 issue of> 'In-Style' Magazine, there's a list of 135 Best Beauty> Buys, some of which are for hair. One product is JF> Lazartigue Pre-Shampoo w/Shea Butter ($51 for 6.8> oz.!!) It's supposed to be very theraputic for> color-treated, damaged hair, but too expensive for me.> I'm wondering if Shea Butter alone would be as> effective, or if I could mix it in with a good> conditioner and leave it on overnight? Has anyone had> a good/bad experience with Shea Butter? Thanks for any> suggestions!Related Link:The Body Shop
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic