Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGoing shorter after birth of baby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going shorter after birth of baby
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:50am
hi, what a great board! I have hair that hits about the end of my bra in length, but I also just became a mom 7 weeks ago. A little boy! :-) I've always liked my hair long, but I'm just getting this desire to cut it short so I don't have to deal with it. My baby is wonderful, but he takes a lot of time, and I'd like something simple that I can just wash and have it look good. I've really never thought about cutting my hair before, but now seems like a good time, and a lot of my friends cut their hair to a simpler style when they became moms. Does anyone have any good suggestions? My face is oval, and I have about 10 pounds of weight left to lose but other than that am not over or underweight.
Laurel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:50am
> hi, what a great board! I have hair that hits about> the end of my bra in length, but I also just became a> mom 7 weeks ago. A little boy! :-) I've always liked> my hair long, but I'm just getting this desire to cut> it short so I don't have to deal with it. My baby is> wonderful, but he takes a lot of time, and I'd like> something simple that I can just wash and have it look> good. I've really never thought about cutting my hair> before, but now seems like a good time, and a lot of> my friends cut their hair to a simpler style when they> became moms. Does anyone have any good suggestions? My> face is oval, and I have about 10 pounds of weight> left to lose but other than that am not over or> underweight.I too have a baby and i cut my hair short, but i have realized that long hair is actually easier to care for, considering you just brush it out and go, I have found that my short hair (a little below shoulders, ) needs more upkeep, and it is hard to put in pony tail. If you really dont have much time to care for it, pull up into a high pony tail, you may regret cutting your hair, like i did, . Just my advice, Laurel
Rini View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:50am
I agree with Laurel. I cut my hair short about a year ago (it's grown much since then) and had only one regret: it took much longer to style in the mornings and I couldn't just "chuck it up" in a ponytail and forget about it. It really depends on your hair type though and whether it has a natural wave you'll have to fight against (mine does!)
Kelly F. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:50am
> hi, what a great board! I have hair that hits about> the end of my bra in length, but I also just became a> mom 7 weeks ago. A little boy! :-) I've always liked> my hair long, but I'm just getting this desire to cut> it short so I don't have to deal with it. My baby is> wonderful, but he takes a lot of time, and I'd like> something simple that I can just wash and have it look> good. I've really never thought about cutting my hair> before, but now seems like a good time, and a lot of> my friends cut their hair to a simpler style when they> became moms. Does anyone have any good suggestions? My> face is oval, and I have about 10 pounds of weight> left to lose but other than that am not over or> underweight.Hi Alice, I too have a baby (2 yr old) & I can relate to wanting to simplify your life now. However, I have to agree with the other posts so far. Shorter hair just requires more upkeep & frequent trimmings to keep the shape. I find it easier to just have other options like pulling my hair back, putting up the front in a haircomb or using barrettes to keep it out of my face. It still looks nice. I just didn't want to fall into the trap of having to acquire "mommy hair" just because I had a kid. Besides, with longer hair, you can still fix it up and make it more special if and when you get the chance to go out! :) Oh, & congrats to you! Kelly F.
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:50am
> hi, what a great board! I have hair that hits about> the end of my bra in length, but I also just became a> mom 7 weeks ago. A little boy! :-) I've always liked> my hair long, but I'm just getting this desire to cut> it short so I don't have to deal with it. My baby is> wonderful, but he takes a lot of time, and I'd like> something simple that I can just wash and have it look> good. I've really never thought about cutting my hair> before, but now seems like a good time, and a lot of> my friends cut their hair to a simpler style when they> became moms. Does anyone have any good suggestions? My> face is oval, and I have about 10 pounds of weight> left to lose but other than that am not over or> underweight.To Alice;I would take a minute to think about this before going for the big chop. Unless you have a very pretty face and are petite, you will probably not like 'short short hair' (hair that is short enough to really be wash and wear.) If you cut your hair between where it is now and say a wedge at longest, you will find that it will usually be more work to try to do something with than your long hair which you can put up or back to stay out of your face. Most girls can easily learn to french braid their hair or do a quickie french twist for easy care hair without having to give it up. Another option is a soft managable perm for wash and wear hair. If you decide to go short, then regular trims are a must and i would suggest a little bit of input ifrom your husband also. I just did a 'soft perm' on a client with hair about your length, and I will try to post a picture soon so you can see what I am talking about.william
Alice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:50am
Hi William! Firstly thank you to the replies I got. This afternoon I was at the mall with two of my friends, and our babies were in strollers. We passed by a Great Clips place and they both urged me to go for it. At first I was a little hesitant becaue I didn't want to do anything on the spur of the moment, but I had been thinking about it, so I told the stylist what I wanted, just something short but pretty and easy to care for. She was kinda a take charge type of gal and just said she'd take care of me. I forgot to ask what it's called but I ended up with it all kind of short-layered. Maybe the closest thing is a pixie, but it's a little longer than that. I was a little surprised she didn't talk to me more about what she'd do but I kinda gave the attitude of just cut it short so that's probably why. It was a little shorter than I thought it would be, but it was a hot day today so I kinda like it. My husband loves it!! So do my friends. To be really honest, I've read some of the posts on here and I know some of you think a haircut is a big deal, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me. It is a lot shorter but it looks pretty good on me, and I am happy that it won't be in my face anymore. My friends said I would really love it when my son is old enough to start pulling hair, lol!! Maybe I'll let it grow when he gets older because I do like to fix it up sometimes, but for now, it's nice to have a change. Thanks again for all the input!!
Jodie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:54am
I would have it cut short. I had mine cut a few months ago, and I am so glad I did, and I'm 22 without a child. My hair was very long also, but I can't see me having it long again.Jodie
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:55am
> I would have it cut short. I had mine cut a few months> ago, and I am so glad I did, and I'm 22 without a> child. My hair was very long also, but I can't see me> having it long again.Jodie, what style did you get? And what do you like about short hair that you don't like about long? (BTW, this sounds like an inquisition but it's not, I promise! I recently went from long to short and am just curious about your reaction to the change)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic