Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBrewer's Yeast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brewer's Yeast
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:53am
I'd be most careful with the free form amino acids of all the supplements listed. Too much protein can put pressure on your kidneys unnecessarily, but it has to be a ton of it usually. It has always been my feeling that you really have to know what you are doing in dealing with aminos. Some feel that it is unwise to take single amino acids for long periods of time or should be balanced with a dose of all the amino acids. For example, l-cysteine is readily available at health food stores, usually in 500 or 600mg doses. It doesn't usually say on the label that you should take 2-3times as much Vitamin C to ward off possible kidney stones or to add 50mg of B-6 for maximum absorption. You have to do some reading or talking to people in the know.You haven't wasted a ton of money on the Brewer's yeast because it's cheap. I'd say take the B-Complex vitamin over it because it provides much greater amounts of the B's and co-factors. Also, the B-Complex is water-soluble, so any excess which your system does not use will be flushed via urine. No chance of overload there. You can also add some wheat germ to morning cereal if you eat it to accomplish the same as what the Brewer's yeast would do. No overload if you did something like this and took a B-Complex.The spirulina, kelp and broccoli. If your spirulina is 500mg, I have heard of people taking as many as six tablets daily without any problems. It really depends on your overall dietary protein intake. Spirulina has a high level of the amino acid phenylalanine, which can make you feel extremely alert and sometimes jittery if you are sensitive. Obviously, if you have PKU, so that your body cannot process the amino acid, you would not want to take it. My multi-vitamin has spirulina as a food base along with chlorella and barley grass and I have had no problems. I am one of those folks who is sensitive to the phenylalanine. I cannot deal with Nutrasweet products of any kind.As for the kelp, I know plenty of people who take 6-8tablets daily for hair care alone. Kelp has a high iodine content. If you have any type of thyroid problem, you might want to check with your doctor re whether and/ or how much to take. If you have problems with acne, kelp can aggravate, but doesn't necessarily have to aggravate. Just something to watch. I could not take kelp because it acted as a strong laxative on me. I only took one tablet.As for the broccoli, if you take it in 500mg tabs, I can't think of any problems with it. I have taken as many as six or more of these without problems. Broccoli is an excellent source of calcium, sulfur and a host of nutrients. As I indicated to you previously, it had a tremendous effect on the growth and condition of my hair.A general note. With vitaminis, the idea is to identify the oil versus water soluble. The oil ones like Vitamin A (palimate) are the ones to watch out for as far as excessive amounts. The water soluble ones like Vitamins B and C are not to worry about, but to find a comfortable level for your body and needs. With minerals and other supplements, the idea is balance. With minerals, for example, it's like too much of one can throw off others. If you take zinc, for example, you want to be sure that the ratio of copper is correct. Otherwise, you can defeat your purpose.One thing which I do periodically is to rotate supplements. Also, there are some supplements which I take everyday and others which I take only at certain times.I would recommend Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Balch and Balch. The book is comprehensive and gives a good treatment of vitamins, minerals, food-based supplements and basic herbs. I would say that some of the dosages may be a bit high. With any new supplement, I always start small to see how my body will react and then work up to a satisfactory dose to meet my needs.Hope this helps,Jade21If I were to take a combo of these tablets: (I have> already ordered the brewer's yeast, and amino acid> from my distributor) spirulina tablets (I have some in> my medicine chest), kelp or broccoli tablets, along> with a b-complex vitamin, would that not be an> overload of vitamins and protein?> I don't want to take too much, of any one thing,> because that could be just as bad as taking not> enough.
wtbt View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:53am
If I were to take a combo of these tablets: (I have already ordered the brewer's yeast, and amino acid from my distributor) spirulina tablets (I have some in my medicine chest), kelp or broccoli tablets, along with a b-complex vitamin, would that not be an overload of vitamins and protein?I don't want to take too much, of any one thing, because that could be just as bad as taking not enough.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:52am
Brewer's yeast contains B vitamins naturally and can be great for your hair. However, you would be better off taking a B-Complex vitamin (50 or 100mg per day) because the levels of the B vitamins in Brewer's yeast are much lower than the B-Complex 50mg tab. I think you have to consume about 8 tablets of the Brewer's yeast to obtain moderate amounts of the B-Vitamins.Brewer's yeast is excellent for dieters. A friend of mine used the tablets as snacks between meals to provide energy. Brewer's yeast has an almost nutty taste.Twinlab makes a liquid B-Complex vitamin (50mg) which uses Brewer's yeast as its base. I thought the taste was disgusting--kind of bitter and strong. It made me feel a bit nauseated.Anyway, I checked out the Hair Formula 37 and was curious because it seems that one could very easily surpass the B vitamin content with co-factors by taking a B-Complex vitamin plus additional co-factors. Moreover, the amino acid complex which they provide is readily available at a health food store. Athletes and others use these regularly. I don't know which hair vitamin you take, but most of them from good manufacturers concentrate on the amino acids cysteine, cystine, methionine which are greatly concentrated in hair, skin and nails. Personally, most people don't make an effort to eat foods rich in the nutrients or aminos, or take targeted supplements, so I think, at least in part, that is why people may experience dramatic results within a month's time of taking a Hair Formula 37.If you are interested in something along the price and availability of Brewer's yeast, try some kelp or broccoli tablets. As Karen Shelton has said many times,sea vegetables really encourage growth. A friend of mine loves purple dulse (aka sea lettuce) tablets. Broccoli tabs have been good to me. I started with them two months ago because the fresh broccoli supply in my area had become limited. The tabs are so concentrated that you may be ingesting ten times what you would be eating. The so-called Superfoods are excellent, too. These include foods like chlorella, spirulina, barley and wheat grass. These are available in green powders and tablets of usually 500-1000mg. Spirulina, for example, is extremely high in protein, along with a balance of nutrients which your body can readily absorb naturally.Bye for now,Jade21Has anyone taken brewer's yeast and experienced> increased hair growth from it. I noticed that people> were raving over the new Hair Formula 37, but upon> reviewing the labels, I noticed that the main> ingredient in step 2 was brewer's yeast. I also> noticed that it is advertised on many sites, and in> many places as a main part of helping anumals coats> grow faster, healthier, and thicker. Would the same> happen for humans in taking brewer's yeast? I already> take a wonderful multi-vitamin, and also great hair> vitamin, plus extra biotin. Would adding brewer's> yeast to my regimen help with the cause of growing> faster hair? I can purchase it much more cheaply than> I can the HF 37 or the Viviscal.> Any information on Brewer's yeast would be helpful.> Thanks.> WTBT
Elisabella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:51am
> Has anyone taken brewer's yeast and experienced> increased hair growth from it. I noticed that people> were raving over the new Hair Formula 37, but upon> reviewing the labels, I noticed that the main> ingredient in step 2 was brewer's yeast. I also> noticed that it is advertised on many sites, and in> many places as a main part of helping anumals coats> grow faster, healthier, and thicker. Would the same> happen for humans in taking brewer's yeast? I already> take a wonderful multi-vitamin, and also great hair> vitamin, plus extra biotin. Would adding brewer's> yeast to my regimen help with the cause of growing> faster hair? I can purchase it much more cheaply than> I can the HF 37 or the Viviscal.I was wondering which hair vitamin you take?> Any information on Brewer's yeast would be helpful.> Thanks.> WTBT
wtbt View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:51am
Has anyone taken brewer's yeast and experienced increased hair growth from it. I noticed that people were raving over the new Hair Formula 37, but upon reviewing the labels, I noticed that the main ingredient in step 2 was brewer's yeast. I also noticed that it is advertised on many sites, and in many places as a main part of helping anumals coats grow faster, healthier, and thicker. Would the same happen for humans in taking brewer's yeast? I already take a wonderful multi-vitamin, and also great hair vitamin, plus extra biotin. Would adding brewer's yeast to my regimen help with the cause of growing faster hair? I can purchase it much more cheaply than I can the HF 37 or the Viviscal.Any information on Brewer's yeast would be helpful. Thanks.WTBT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic