Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLong hair tangles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elisabella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long hair tangles
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:56am
> This solution my seem too obvious, but have you ever> thought of cutting it short. I used to have hair like> yours a few months ago. It was hot and it tangled a> lot. Since having my hair cut short it's easier to> look after, cooler and looks a lot better. I now have> a buzz. I'm not saying a buzz is for you, but a> shorter cut could be the answer.> Good luck> JodieI've been growing my hair long for over two years to get it to my waist. Shorter is not my way of dealing with tangles. I'll deal with the tangles to have my long, beautiful hair.
Jodie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:54am
This solution my seem too obvious, but have you ever thought of cutting it short. I used to have hair like yours a few months ago. It was hot and it tangled a lot. Since having my hair cut short it's easier to look after, cooler and looks a lot better. I now have a buzz. I'm not saying a buzz is for you, but a shorter cut could be the answer.Good luckJodie
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:53am
> My cousin has hair at least as long as yours, and she> told me of the same problem with pony tails. She> usually wears it down (I don't know how she handles> the heat or the weight of it!)I am so glad that I am not alone in this situation. I started wearing it long, and I still get a little "nest" underneath but not nearly as bad as before when I wore it up. I moisturize my hair very well and my hair is in wonderful condition, I just hate the tangles, it defeats the purpose of long, beautiful hair if it look like I never brush it. Well so long for now.
john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:53am
> I have long hair an inch from my waist and since it> has gotten long I've noticed that whenever I put my> hair into a ponytail it gets a ratsnest-like> appearance underneath. Even if my hair was freshly> washed and dried. Is it just because it is long or> could there be another reason?Hey ElisabellaOn of the possible reasons that people with long hair can get rats nest underneath is just plain old motion. As you walk or move about your hair has a tendency to sway about. This causes the hair underneath to roll around dragging against your clothing. Some will roll freely and some will not causing the hairs to start tangling. Tieing it up higher on the nape allows it to jut further out from the base of the skull touching the shoulders further down. Dave and Dawn have the best advice I can think of. Good Luck
Erica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:53am
My hair also gets tangles in it occassionally--but I have found it is more common when I have overconditioned my hair--if I accidently put in a little too much "leave-in" conditioner/oil, it tends to make the curls in my hair want to entwine and "stick" together in a tangle. That's interesting that it happens to you when your hair is dry. Go figure!> Hi all,> I have learned that damp hair has a tendency to tangle> more than dry, so when it's still damp I will> sometimes take a minute to comb it to remove the> tangles.> Also, I have discovered that if my ponytail is> extremely low on the nape of my neck, that contributes> to the "rat's nest" problem. The solution> was to move the base of the ponytail a bit higher.> One other thing I have discovered is that my hair> tends to tangle more if it is overly dry and in need> of moisture. A bit of oil such as Aveda's Beautifying> Composition makes a HUGE difference in eliminating my> hair's tendency to tangle when in a ponytail. Very> rarely do I ever get the "rat's nest"> effect, but when I do, I find that pulling the> "rat's nest" apart with my fingers is the> best way to detangle the mess.> Hope this helps!> Dave
Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:53am
Well, with hair to the knees, I can tell you I also deal with this problem on a daily basis and I agree with Dave that moisture is important but even with great nurturing, its still almost impossible to prevent those "under the hair" tangles from occurring in my hair with just a standard ponytail so I have a neat trick I've borrowed from Native American hairstyles that makes a HUGE difference in eliminating this problem. When I want a change from my usual braid and would like to leave a long swishy tail for some dramatic affect, I just bind up the top part of my ponytail. It provides the best of both worlds, eliminating the possiblity of that rats nest around shoulder level while still allowing for a flashy swingy ponytail bottom. I do my regular ponytail but use three or four or five hairties, scrunchies, whatever so that the first foot or so of hair is completely covered and protected. Sometimes I'll do the regular ponytail holder at the base of my neck, then take about a 4 foot piece of leather, a 1/2 or 1 inch wide thong and wrap it tightly around the same top foot or so of hair crisscossing under and over and securing it either with the leather itself or another hairtie. I still get the dramatic loose tail at the end, but not the nasty knots. Its makes it so much easier to brush out at the end of the day and really cuts down on the damage caused by endlessly having to pull those rats apart. I also often use ribbon, or fancy fabrics to do the same wrap. Try it, you'll be amazed. Just adjust how much you wrap up at the top to fit the length of your own hair so that it leaves the rest free like usual.Hope that helps somehow!Very best wishes to all,Dawn> I have long hair an inch from my waist and since it> has gotten long I've noticed that whenever I put my> hair into a ponytail it gets a ratsnest-like> appearance underneath. Even if my hair was freshly> washed and dried. Is it just because it is long or> could there be another reason?
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:52am
Dear Dave,I wish that what you said applied to me. I have tried a ponytail up way high and my hair is moisturized. I don't use the style on wet hair. I'm going to try using my fingers to detangle. It's been working well with some of the strange things I have encountered recently.I am going to drop you a note soon about some of the "new" issues with which I have been dealing with the added growth. Something tells me you can definitely assist:)Bye for now,Jade21Hi all,> I have learned that damp hair has a tendency to tangle> more than dry, so when it's still damp I will> sometimes take a minute to comb it to remove the> tangles.> Also, I have discovered that if my ponytail is> extremely low on the nape of my neck, that contributes> to the "rat's nest" problem. The solution> was to move the base of the ponytail a bit higher.> One other thing I have discovered is that my hair> tends to tangle more if it is overly dry and in need> of moisture. A bit of oil such as Aveda's Beautifying> Composition makes a HUGE difference in eliminating my> hair's tendency to tangle when in a ponytail. Very> rarely do I ever get the "rat's nest"> effect, but when I do, I find that pulling the> "rat's nest" apart with my fingers is the> best way to detangle the mess.> Hope this helps!> Dave
Jen Bahney View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Bahney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:52am
Mine was also an inch from my waist, when I got so fed up with the tangles that I cut it off. Now, I desperately miss it and am trying to grow it again! This time, though, I'm not going to color or blow dry my hair. I think Dave is right... the dryness issue makes a big difference.Related Link:Bowers-Bahney Communications
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:52am
Hi all,I have learned that damp hair has a tendency to tangle more than dry, so when it's still damp I will sometimes take a minute to comb it to remove the tangles.Also, I have discovered that if my ponytail is extremely low on the nape of my neck, that contributes to the "rat's nest" problem. The solution was to move the base of the ponytail a bit higher.One other thing I have discovered is that my hair tends to tangle more if it is overly dry and in need of moisture. A bit of oil such as Aveda's Beautifying Composition makes a HUGE difference in eliminating my hair's tendency to tangle when in a ponytail. Very rarely do I ever get the "rat's nest" effect, but when I do, I find that pulling the "rat's nest" apart with my fingers is the best way to detangle the mess.Hope this helps!Dave
David M Squires
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:52am
I just wanted to agree with the other posters.My hair is going to my derriere. I am not sure why the tangles are generated. Something which helped me was to put a silk tie toward the bottom of the ponytail, but this really defeats the ponytail. Otherwise, a loose braid is much better to avoid tangles if you wish to bind your hair.bye for now,jade21I have long hair an inch from my waist and since it> has gotten long I've noticed that whenever I put my> hair into a ponytail it gets a ratsnest-like> appearance underneath. Even if my hair was freshly> washed and dried. Is it just because it is long or> could there be another reason?
Lindsey View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lindsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:51am
My cousin has hair at least as long as yours, and she told me of the same problem with pony tails. She usually wears it down (I don't know how she handles the heat or the weight of it!)
Sara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:51am
> I have long hair an inch from my waist and since it> has gotten long I've noticed that whenever I put my> hair into a ponytail it gets a ratsnest-like> appearance underneath. Even if my hair was freshly> washed and dried. Is it just because it is long or> could there be another reason?Hi Elisabella,I have the same problem with my hair. My is waist length too. When I put mine up in a pony tail I get the same rats nest. It may be because we have extremely long hair.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:51am
I have long hair an inch from my waist and since it has gotten long I've noticed that whenever I put my hair into a ponytail it gets a ratsnest-like appearance underneath. Even if my hair was freshly washed and dried. Is it just because it is long or could there be another reason?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic