Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAt-home oil treatments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At-home oil treatments
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:55am
Hello All :-)I am trying the at-home oil treatment with olive oil. I do not know if I am applying it properly. Do I apply it on wet or dry hair? Do I comb it through once I have applied it to my hair? Do I wash it out completely after I have done a treatment? How many times a week should I apply a treatment? How many treatments before I should see results?Take care,Thanks Lynn
Lynn G
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:55am
> Hello All :-)> I am trying the at-home oil treatment with olive oil.> I do not know if I am applying it properly. Do I apply> it on wet or dry hair?Think of a hot oil treatment as a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment. You should apply the warm oil to dry hair which can remain on your hair for as long as you like without damaging your hair before you shampoo it out.Do I comb it through once I> have applied it to my hair? Do I wash it out> completely after I have done a treatment?You may comb it through your entire head of hair, but this is not a hard and fast rule. You can also do spot, hot oil treatments, so to speak. I often target my ends only. People with naturally oily hair often do this. As far as shampooing, yes, shampoo your hair as usual. Don't really scrub to get the olive oil out. It's ok if some remains in your hair, especially if your hair tends to get dry.How many> times a week should I apply a treatment? How many> treatments before I should see results?From my experience, you should notice a difference after the first treatment with olive oil. Olive oil is superior for severely damaged hair. It can add a tremendous amount of elasticity to your hair from the very first time.How often you use a hot oil treatment is up to you. If your hair is severely damaged, use one before each shampooing. Here, I am assuming that you wash your hair two times a week. I would not recommend hot oil treatments on a daily basis. Let's say you wash your hair twice a week and you do hot oil treatments for a month, you should notice some real results by then. Your hair should be much stronger by then.As an aside, feel free to add things to your hot oil treatments. For example, olive oil blended with some avocado is an excellent pre-shampoo conditioning treatment and will give your hair some tremendous body. When selecting vegetables or fruits, think oily. Otherwise, good odors may be all that you receive.All the Best,Jade21> Take care,> Thanks Lynn
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:55am
Avocado adds body? That's the first time I hear this. How would avocado work without the olive oil? Will it also leave the hair oily when used by itself? This is so interesting. I never knew that plain naturals foods/products could actually add body to the hair!> Think of a hot oil treatment as a pre-shampoo> conditioning treatment. You should apply the warm oil> to dry hair which can remain on your hair for as long> as you like without damaging your hair before you> shampoo it out.> Do I comb it through once I> You may comb it through your entire head of hair, but> this is not a hard and fast rule. You can also do> spot, hot oil treatments, so to speak. I often target> my ends only. People with naturally oily hair often do> this. As far as shampooing, yes, shampoo your hair as> usual. Don't really scrub to get the olive oil out.> It's ok if some remains in your hair, especially if> your hair tends to get dry.> How many> From my experience, you should notice a difference> after the first treatment with olive oil. Olive oil is> superior for severely damaged hair. It can add a> tremendous amount of elasticity to your hair from the> very first time.> How often you use a hot oil treatment is up to you. If> your hair is severely damaged, use one before each> shampooing. Here, I am assuming that you wash your> hair two times a week. I would not recommend hot oil> treatments on a daily basis. Let's say you wash your> hair twice a week and you do hot oil treatments for a> month, you should notice some real results by then.> Your hair should be much stronger by then.> As an aside, feel free to add things to your hot oil> treatments. For example, olive oil blended with some> avocado is an excellent pre-shampoo conditioning> treatment and will give your hair some tremendous> body. When selecting vegetables or fruits, think oily.> Otherwise, good odors may be all that you receive.> All the Best,> Jade21
Lynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:55am
Hi Jade21Thanks so very much for your info, it was fantastic!!I am with the next post though.....avocado? What do you do with an avocado? Crush it up?Thanks again :-)Lynn
Lynn G
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:55am
Hi, Lynn and PD!Yes, an avocado adds body and a certain degree of shine depending on your hair type. The best type of avocado to use is a Haas, the kind with the bumpy, wrinkly skin. It is loaded with fat and so creamy when extremely ripe.I have used the Haas with olive oil and think the olive oil compliments the Haas because it is a heavier oil. You can mash or puree, depending on how you like it. Personally, when used with olive oil, a finer texture of the avocado seems to work best.You might also want to try it by itself. In the summer, what I like to do is to mash a ripe Haas or two, spread it throughout my hair, especially the extremely dry areas, put my hair in a shower cap or saran wrap and go about the house cleaning. The idea is to get some body heat going. I have left the mixture on for as long as two hours, gotten into the shower to wash my body and hair, and then seen some lovely hair thereafter.As I mentioned with hot oil treatments generally, the use of an avocado or other rather fatty fruits or vegetables works best on dry or normal to dry hair. If your hair is oily, use such concoctions only on the drier portions of your hair.Another variation with a Haas is to add it to pure honey. It's messy, but generates superior results. I think the honey enhances the shine in your hair even more than the Haas alone.Before I go, remember that you can also use these mixtures on your skin, facial and body. Use a commercial exfoliating mask on rough areas like your heels, knees, elbows, rinse, then use the Haas avocado. Let the Haas stay on for about 15-30minutes. Rinse. Super soft skin:) I did this on my feet right before summer. Worked better than anything I have used in a long time.In the winter, honey is an excellent moisturizer for facial skin, even if your skin is very oily. I use this a lot in the winter on my oily facial skin. Use a clay mask, rinse, then use the honey for about 30 minutes. Glowing, fresh skin, but not greasy.Hope this helps....Jade21Avocado adds body? That's the first time I hear this.> How would avocado work without the olive oil? Will it> also leave the hair oily when used by itself? This is> so interesting. I never knew that plain naturals> foods/products could actually add body to the hair!
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:55am
Hi,Yogurt (the whole milk, plain kind) also makes a good facial skin moisturizer/masque.Clare> Hi, Lynn and PD!> Yes, an avocado adds body and a certain degree of> shine depending on your hair type. The best type of> avocado to use is a Haas, the kind with the bumpy,> wrinkly skin. It is loaded with fat and so creamy when> extremely ripe.> I have used the Haas with olive oil and think the> olive oil compliments the Haas because it is a heavier> oil. You can mash or puree, depending on how you like> it. Personally, when used with olive oil, a finer> texture of the avocado seems to work best.> You might also want to try it by itself. In the> summer, what I like to do is to mash a ripe Haas or> two, spread it throughout my hair, especially the> extremely dry areas, put my hair in a shower cap or> saran wrap and go about the house cleaning. The idea> is to get some body heat going. I have left the> mixture on for as long as two hours, gotten into the> shower to wash my body and hair, and then seen some> lovely hair thereafter.> As I mentioned with hot oil treatments generally, the> use of an avocado or other rather fatty fruits or> vegetables works best on dry or normal to dry hair. If> your hair is oily, use such concoctions only on the> drier portions of your hair.> Another variation with a Haas is to add it to pure> honey. It's messy, but generates superior results. I> think the honey enhances the shine in your hair even> more than the Haas alone.> Before I go, remember that you can also use these> mixtures on your skin, facial and body. Use a> commercial exfoliating mask on rough areas like your> heels, knees, elbows, rinse, then use the Haas> avocado. Let the Haas stay on for about 15-30minutes.> Rinse. Super soft skin:) I did this on my feet right> before summer. Worked better than anything I have used> in a long time.> In the winter, honey is an excellent moisturizer for> facial skin, even if your skin is very oily. I use> this a lot in the winter on my oily facial skin. Use a> clay mask, rinse, then use the honey for about 30> minutes. Glowing, fresh skin, but not greasy.> Hope this helps....> Jade21> Avocado adds body? That's the first time I hear this.
Clare
Lynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:55am
Jade21 and ClareThanks, I cannot wait to try all these new and wonderful concoctions. Everyone here is truly amazing with all the little tidbits they seem to know about everything!!Have a great day,Lynn
Lynn G
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:56am
Hi, Clare!You are right about the yogurt. Have you tried mixing it with some buttermilk? That is a superior concoction. You can also use this formula if you get a bad sunburn to soothe the burn and to disperse the redness. It's also good if you get a bit more sun than you would like, just to fade or even out the color.I give my grandmother credit for the buttermilk and most of these others I write about. I am so used to them that I forget that not most people have heard of them:)Bye for now...Jade21Hi,> Yogurt (the whole milk, plain kind) also makes a good> facial skin moisturizer/masque.> Clare
LMM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:01am
What temperature would I bring one bring the olive oil to? I asssume you boil like you do w/ a babies body?And once heated, you do let the oil sit to cool before applying to prevent damage (burn factor that is)grac
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:02am
Maybe a better name is "warm oil treatment." You don't boil the oil. You really warm it. I have used a pot on the stove and I have also simply filled a plastic bottle with the oil and warmed the bottle to heat the oil in hot water in the bathroom.Bye for now,Jade21What temperature would I bring one bring the olive oil> to? I asssume you boil like you do w/ a babies body?> And once heated, you do let the oil sit to cool before> applying to prevent damage (burn factor that is)> grac
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:02am
Muchas gracias senorita...makes sense seeing how scolding boiling oil might do some damage to ze scalpage, ciao
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic