Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPre-natal vitamins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TLW View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-natal vitamins
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:55am
I have heard people say that if you take pre-natal vitamins, they will make your hair and nails grow like crazy. Has anyone taken them for this purpose?
Emmalee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmalee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:56am
> I have heard people say that if you take pre-natal> vitamins, they will make your hair and nails grow like> crazy. Has anyone taken them for this purpose?I have just started taking prenatal vitamins. I read on the naturallycurly.com website that they are very good for making your hair grow. A number of people were taking them for this reason. Also, I know that when my sister was pregnant, her hair grew thicker and longer, so maybe it was because of the prenatal vitamins.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:56am
> Also, I know that> when my sister was pregnant, her hair grew thicker and> longer, so maybe it was because of the prenatal> vitamins.To be honest, quite doubtful. The hormones that are secreted by the body during pregnancy definitely give hair and complexion a wonderful boost. And, unfortunately, it's very common for women's hair to thin out postpartum.The only thing that prenatal vitamins have in them that regular multi-vits don't are extra iron and folic acid (folate) and possibly a little extra in B vitamins. We usually don't eat as many green leafy vegetables (which are high sources of folic acid) in our diets as we should, therefore, the folic acid probably doesn't hurt for general health.However, there is usually a LOT of extra iron in prenatals, so I'd highly suggest someone getting a hematocrit or a hemoglobin (blood test for iron) before starting to take that much iron -- too much iron can cause major problems.Best bet? Moderate exercise, adequate sleep, and a balanced healthy diet will be best not only for hair, but general health! How we eat and take care of our bodies does indeed have a major impact of our hair and skin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic