Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJade21-question about Aubrey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jade21-question about Aubrey
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:56am
Hi, I enjoyed your article, and have looked into the products. They look wonderful, and I cannot thank you enough for bringing them to everyones attention. I have a cabinet full of products for now but plan to try the Island Naturals Butter Shampoo and Spice Conditioner, as well as the White Camilla and Jasmine Shampoo. My hair is dry but not damaged. What do you think? Should I start with something else? My biggest problem is moisture. I have made some very bad mistakes with protein, and that is my big questions for you. I have been told repeatedly in the last month that my hair is drying out because I put to much protein in it. The Aubrey products have a heavy dose of protein. Have you ever heard of, or experienced, your hair drying out for no appartent reason (no chemicals)? I want to try the products, but would like some input on the protein factor. Please help-I really want to get SLS out of my routine. Thank you-Renee
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:56am
Hi, Renee!Thanks for the perks with the Aubrey article. So glad you enjoyed it!I am unclear about something you said. You have been told that your hair is drying out because of too much protein. I have never heard of this. Specifically, from what source? I am not a professional, but how does protein dry out the hair?First, I am going to address the dryness for no apparent reason, then the Aubrey product recommendation for your hair.Since you read my article, you know that my hair went from crackly dry to balanced with Aubrey's products and hot oil treatments. I have to tell you that dryness is like a constant threat in one form or another for me. Specifically, at this point, it is the last 4 inches of my hair above my derriere which I constantly watch and address. That is the oldest portion of my hair and I try not to abuse it in any way.Sudden dryness to your hair can result from a variety of factors, some internal, some external. You can change your diet, schedule, etc. and this can be evidenced in your hair. I went to Boston not long ago and for a week my hair went through changes upon returning to Virginia. From a dry plane ride to some rather questionable foods, I sort of expected it. In view of the fact that this is a public forum, your monthly cycle can wreak havoc with your hair. As the years have passed, I can recognize when it is coming from the small, but evident changes in my skin and hair. Sometimes, my nails will snap like twigs,too, which they do not ordinarily do:)The external factors include things like harsh brushing, overuse of chemical processes, styling aids like blowdryers, curling irons and the like. It is not unusual to notice a sudden bad problem after prolonged, continued use of any of these. For some people, it may never happen because their hair can just withstand the abuse. For others, the opposite occurs.Now, for the Aubrey products. Of the two shampoos which you have mentioned, I would say the White Camelia and Jasmine. It is extremely gentle and concentrated. The Island Naturals with its light conditioner is made for curly, hard to handle, dry hair, but it is not nearly as concentrated as some of Aubrey's other shampoos. My hair is basically straight, but has some wave to it and I do not want to have to deal with a lot of tangles, which I can get. I can't say that the Island Naturals did anything more than the other shampoos/conditioners. I mean in terms of manageability, moisture, tangles, etc.Personally, if I had to select a starting shampoo for you, I would say start with the J.A.Y. I always come back to this shampoo. It is highly concentrated and is Aubrey's primary recommendation for normal to dry hair. I also recommend that you try the Blue Green Algae Hair Mask, which I also discuss in the article. That product infuses your hair more with moisture and nutrients, than oiliness. In fact, this weekend, I used the BGA hair mask, the J.A.Y. shampoo, the GPB, then I added a honey mask to add more moisture before styling my hair. Excellent results....Frankly, I do not understand the connection between the protein in a shampoo/conditioner and overall dryness in the hair. Your hair needs the protein:) If whoevever told you this was correct, my hair would be dry as a bone and falling out or something:) It's in great shape and thriving.Hope this helps...Jade21Hi, I enjoyed your article, and have looked into the> products. They look wonderful, and I cannot thank you> enough for bringing them to everyones attention. I> have a cabinet full of products for now but plan to> try the Island Naturals Butter Shampoo and Spice> Conditioner, as well as the White Camilla and Jasmine> Shampoo. My hair is dry but not damaged. What do you> think? Should I start with something else? My biggest> problem is moisture. I have made some very bad> mistakes with protein, and that is my big questions> for you. I have been told repeatedly in the last month> that my hair is drying out because I put to much> protein in it. The Aubrey products have a heavy dose> of protein. Have you ever heard of, or experienced,> your hair drying out for no appartent reason (no> chemicals)? I want to try the products, but would like> some input on the protein factor. Please help-I really> want to get SLS out of my routine. Thank you-Renee
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:56am
Thank you-I am going to try the products because they sound great, and I went to the website, and looked at the ingredients, and it sounds like I can't go wrong. I was told by three stylists, one of which is highly regarded, that I am using to many protein conditioners. I'm not sure what that means, other than what the words themselves mean literally, but I think it may be referring to protein reconstructors that are mean to be used on chemically damaged hair, not moisture starved hair. I guess I will find out for myself-there isn't anything in the Aubrey ingredients that could hurt my hair, from what I can tell with my limited experience, and it sounds like they did wonders for you-so here goes...Renee> Hi, Renee!> Thanks for the perks with the Aubrey article. So glad> you enjoyed it!> I am unclear about something you said. You have been> told that your hair is drying out because of too much> protein. I have never heard of this. Specifically,> from what source? I am not a professional, but how> does protein dry out the hair?> First, I am going to address the dryness for no> apparent reason, then the Aubrey product> recommendation for your hair.> Since you read my article, you know that my hair went> from crackly dry to balanced with Aubrey's products> and hot oil treatments. I have to tell you that> dryness is like a constant threat in one form or> another for me. Specifically, at this point, it is the> last 4 inches of my hair above my derriere which I> constantly watch and address. That is the oldest> portion of my hair and I try not to abuse it in any> way.> Sudden dryness to your hair can result from a variety> of factors, some internal, some external. You can> change your diet, schedule, etc. and this can be> evidenced in your hair. I went to Boston not long ago> and for a week my hair went through changes upon> returning to Virginia. From a dry plane ride to some> rather questionable foods, I sort of expected it. In> view of the fact that this is a public forum, your> monthly cycle can wreak havoc with your hair. As the> years have passed, I can recognize when it is coming> from the small, but evident changes in my skin and> hair. Sometimes, my nails will snap like twigs,too,> which they do not ordinarily do:)> The external factors include things like harsh> brushing, overuse of chemical processes, styling aids> like blowdryers, curling irons and the like. It is not> unusual to notice a sudden bad problem after> prolonged, continued use of any of these. For some> people, it may never happen because their hair can> just withstand the abuse. For others, the opposite> occurs.> Now, for the Aubrey products. Of the two shampoos> which you have mentioned, I would say the White> Camelia and Jasmine. It is extremely gentle and> concentrated. The Island Naturals with its light> conditioner is made for curly, hard to handle, dry> hair, but it is not nearly as concentrated as some of> Aubrey's other shampoos. My hair is basically> straight, but has some wave to it and I do not want to> have to deal with a lot of tangles, which I can get. I> can't say that the Island Naturals did anything more> than the other shampoos/conditioners. I mean in terms> of manageability, moisture, tangles, etc.> Personally, if I had to select a starting shampoo for> you, I would say start with the J.A.Y. I always come> back to this shampoo. It is highly concentrated and is> Aubrey's primary recommendation for normal to dry> hair. I also recommend that you try the Blue Green> Algae Hair Mask, which I also discuss in the article.> That product infuses your hair more with moisture and> nutrients, than oiliness. In fact, this weekend, I> used the BGA hair mask, the J.A.Y. shampoo, the GPB,> then I added a honey mask to add more moisture before> styling my hair. Excellent results....> Frankly, I do not understand the connection between> the protein in a shampoo/conditioner and overall> dryness in the hair. Your hair needs the protein:) If> whoevever told you this was correct, my hair would be> dry as a bone and falling out or something:) It's in> great shape and thriving.> Hope this helps...> Jade21> Hi, I enjoyed your article, and have looked into the
Shannon G. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannon G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:56am
Hi, I don't mean to butt in but I do seem to remember reading somewhere (possibly the George Michael Site) that you should be careful about doing to many protien treatments without also adding moisture. I know it says on that site that hair needs to get 80% moisture and 20% protien. I don't really understand how protein could dry out your hair but I just wanted to confirm that others seem to agree. Maybe one of the hairdressers on the list knows specifics?As a side note to Jade 21: I tried Aubreys 2 chamomile shampoos and the GPB They are great and they smell wonderful. I also got the White Camellia and Jasmine conditioning spray, it is wonderful for keeping down the frizzies. I was wondering about the G and G moisturizing Jelly though. Does it give the wet look like a gel or does it dry to a natural look? I hate my hair feeling like it has gunk in it and have scorned styling products for a long time but these frizzies are driving me nuts :)Thanks for the great review and all the help you give on this board.Shannon G.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:56am
Hi, Shannon!Hi, I don't mean to butt in but I do seem to remember> reading somewhere (possibly the George Michael Site)> that you should be careful about doing to many protien> treatments without also adding moisture. I know it> says on that site that hair needs to get 80% moisture> and 20% protien. I don't really understand how protein> could dry out your hair but I just wanted to confirm> that others seem to agree. Maybe one of the> hairdressers on the list knows specifics?From what you have said, it sounds like a balancing issue. There must be certain products which are directed at gaining protein and/or other products which may not be well-balanced re the protein and moisture. Mmm.....> As a side note to Jade 21: I tried Aubreys 2 chamomile> shampoos and the GPB They are great and they smell> wonderful.The smell of the blue and golden chamomile is simply heavenly. I wish that I could take it and spread it all over my house. I think I need to write to Aubrey and tell them that they need to make a shower gel with the blue and /or golden chamomile:)>I also got the White Camellia and Jasmine> conditioning spray, it is wonderful for keeping down> the frizzies.That's a product which I have not tried. That's good to know. If you like the white camellia aroma, try the hand and body lotion sometime. It is extremely mild, thin in texture, but extremely moisturizing. Great for the dead of winter.> I was wondering about the G and G> moisturizing Jelly though. Does it give the wet look> like a gel or does it dry to a natural look? I hate my> hair feeling like it has gunk in it and have scorned> styling products for a long time but these frizzies> are driving me nuts :)The humidity has been fierce in Northern Virginia the past few days. The rain which came, made it worse, then seemed to clear it a bit. Something tells me it is going to be a long, rather humid summer 'round here:)Rest assured that the Ginkgo and Ginseng Moisturizing Jelly gives a natural look after it dries. It really is akin to a jelly rather than a gel. [Compare with the B-5 Design Gel] The secret is to find the correct amount for your hair. Generally, start with a little and work up.> Thanks for the great review and all the help you give> on this board.I am glad that you liked the review! I appreciate your compliment and I can't tell you how many tips people have unknowingly given to me:) That's why we wander here, right?:)Let me know how the products work and drop me a line if you need any assistance.All the best to you...Bye for now,Jade21
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:57am
Hi, Shannon!Hi, I don't mean to butt in but I do seem to remember> reading somewhere (possibly the George Michael Site)> that you should be careful about doing to many protien> treatments without also adding moisture. I know it> says on that site that hair needs to get 80% moisture> and 20% protien. I don't really understand how protein> could dry out your hair but I just wanted to confirm> that others seem to agree. Maybe one of the> hairdressers on the list knows specifics?From what you have said, it sounds like a balancing issue. There must be certain products which are directed at gaining protein and/or other products which may not be well-balanced re the protein and moisture. Mmm.....> As a side note to Jade 21: I tried Aubreys 2 chamomile> shampoos and the GPB They are great and they smell> wonderful.The smell of the blue and golden chamomile is simply heavenly. I wish that I could take it and spread it all over my house. I think I need to write to Aubrey and tell them that they need to make a shower gel with the blue and /or golden chamomile:)>I also got the White Camellia and Jasmine> conditioning spray, it is wonderful for keeping down> the frizzies.That's a product which I have not tried. That's good to know. If you like the white camellia aroma, try the hand and body lotion sometime. It is extremely mild, thin in texture, but extremely moisturizing. Great for the dead of winter.> I was wondering about the G and G> moisturizing Jelly though. Does it give the wet look> like a gel or does it dry to a natural look? I hate my> hair feeling like it has gunk in it and have scorned> styling products for a long time but these frizzies> are driving me nuts :)The humidity has been fierce in Northern Virginia the past few days. The rain which came, made it worse, then seemed to clear it a bit. Something tells me it is going to be a long, rather humid summer 'round here:)Rest assured that the Ginkgo and Ginseng Moisturizing Jelly gives a natural look after it dries. It really is akin to a jelly rather than a gel. [Compare with the B-5 Design Gel] The secret is to find the correct amount for your hair. Generally, start with a little and work up.> Thanks for the great review and all the help you give> on this board.I am glad that you liked the review! I appreciate your compliment and I can't tell you how many tips people have unknowingly given to me:) That's why we wander here, right?:)Let me know how the products work and drop me a line if you need any assistance.All the best to you...Bye for now,Jade21> Shannon G.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:57am
Let me know how your experience is and don't hesitate to drop me a line if you need further assistance.You are right. The products did wonders for my hair:)Thanks for the further explanation on the use of protein conditioners. Very interesting what you and Shannon have said.Take care and all the best,Jade21Thank you-I am going to try the products because they> sound great, and I went to the website, and looked at> the ingredients, and it sounds like I can't go wrong.> I was told by three stylists, one of which is highly> regarded, that I am using to many protein> conditioners. I'm not sure what that means, other than> what the words themselves mean literally, but I think> it may be referring to protein reconstructors that are> mean to be used on chemically damaged hair, not> moisture starved hair. I guess I will find out for> myself-there isn't anything in the Aubrey ingredients> that could hurt my hair, from what I can tell with my> limited experience, and it sounds like they did> wonders for you-so here goes...Renee
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:57am
Jade-which is Aubreys best moisturizing conditioner? My hair is not chemically enhanced, so I guess it's not damaged, but it's dry. I guess I could look it up on the site, but the human touch (and experience) mean a lot to me-Renee, Shannon!> Hi, I don't mean to butt in but I do seem to remember> From what you have said, it sounds like a balancing> issue. There must be certain products which are> directed at gaining protein and/or other products> which may not be well-balanced re the protein and> moisture. Mmm.....> The smell of the blue and golden chamomile is simply> heavenly. I wish that I could take it and spread it> all over my house. I think I need to write to Aubrey> and tell them that they need to make a shower gel with> the blue and /or golden chamomile:)> That's a product which I have not tried. That's good> to know. If you like the white camellia aroma, try the> hand and body lotion sometime. It is extremely mild,> thin in texture, but extremely moisturizing. Great for> the dead of winter.> The humidity has been fierce in Northern Virginia the> past few days. The rain which came, made it worse,> then seemed to clear it a bit. Something tells me it> is going to be a long, rather humid summer 'round> here:)> Rest assured that the Ginkgo and Ginseng Moisturizing> Jelly gives a natural look after it dries. It really> is akin to a jelly rather than a gel. [Compare with> the B-5 Design Gel] The secret is to find the correct> amount for your hair. Generally, start with a little> and work up.> I am glad that you liked the review! I appreciate your> compliment and I can't tell you how many tips people> have unknowingly given to me:) That's why we wander> here, right?:)> Let me know how the products work and drop me a line> if you need any assistance.> All the best to you...> Bye for now,> Jade21
Kay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:57am
> Jade-which is Aubreys best moisturizing conditioner?> My hair is not chemically enhanced, so I guess it's> not damaged, but it's dry. I guess I could look it up> on the site, but the human touch (and experience) mean> a lot to me-Renee> , Shannon!
Kay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:57am
I was wondering what is your hair texture. I have african american, relaxed hair and am wondering if Aubrey's would be a good choice for my hair.Thanks!!
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Hi!My hair is straight with a wave in it. It is thick, heavy and silky most of the time thanks to Aubrey's products. I am Native American (Cree and Cayugan), black and Mexican re racial background. My hair reflects the mix:)Several years ago, when my hair was shorter, I used to use a relaxer 2-3 times per year to stretch out the wave. The added length does a natural stretch. I think that you would benefit greatly from Aubrey's products, especially the GPB conditioner. As I mentioned in my article, that conditioner was originally tested on black women who had overprocessed hair from excessive use of relaxers. If your hair is really dry and damaged, as mine was, I suggest that you start with the Jojoba and Aloe Conditioner. You should notice dramatic differences in your hair relatively fast. Then, switch to the GPB, if you feel like the Jojoba and Aloe Conditioner is a bit much. As you are probably aware, with a relaxer, you must condition consistently and regularly.It is also true what I said about Aubrey not directing products at any particular racial group. Do not be hesitant about trying the products if you have an inkling of this somewhere in your mind:)I suggested the J.A.Y. and the GPB to two black males recently. Both have modified Afros. One has started braiding his hair because it has begun to grow so much and he doesn't want the bald look for the summer. His hair is very strong and beautiful. He was a regular Pantene user. His hair had become very dull and was breaking off. The other has enjoyed the products, too, with positive results. With him, I think his scalp was more irritated than anything else.Hope this helps and let me know how the products work if you decide to try them.All the Best,Jade21I was wondering what is your hair texture. I have> african american, relaxed hair and am wondering if> Aubrey's would be a good choice for my hair.> Thanks!!
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Jade-which is Aubreys best moisturizing conditioner?> My hair is not chemically enhanced, so I guess it's> not damaged, but it's dry. I guess I could look it up> on the site, but the human touch (and experience) mean> a lot to me-Renee> , Shannon!First, your hair can be damaged without any chemical process. The dryness can contribute to overall damage.The Jojoba and Aloe Conditioner is the most moiturizing conditioner. A close second is the GPB. Both are highly concentrated--a little goes a long way. The Jojoba and Aloe will combat bad dryness. I would say the GPB greatly encourages growth and overall strength, more than the Jojoba and Aloe. I've often thought about experimenting with a good mixture of the two:)Another conditioner you might want to try is the Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner. It is extremely thick, more than the Jojoba and Aloe or the GPB. It also adds a ton of moisture to dry or damaged hair. I have used it as a straight conditioner and as a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment in the winter. Actually, what I have done is coated my hair with straight honey, then concentrated the Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner at the bottom of my hair. Great for colder months, but not for hot, humid air in the summer.Hope this helps....Jade21
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
See my answer above:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic